Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
cancelx
Nervous Groupie
cancelx began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Pro
Off-Topic, but can ya help?

sorry, not about ereaders, but don't know who else to ask...

i want to convert a lot of WMA files into basic MP3 files.

It's a series of 11 instructional CDS... I converted the tracks into WMA. But I need MP3

My program, ULEAD does not seem to do it.

Are there any FREE, clean progs out there to do it?

I appreciate any PMs

James
cancelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Does iTunes do this?
It's free.....
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
cancelx
Nervous Groupie

Hi. I don't know, i've never used.

id be doing this on a PC computer, Windows XP
Old 03-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know iTunes runs on xp, that is what I am running. I think that you go under Advanced and it has Create mp3 version. It's been a while (long long while) since I have used it.
S
Old 03-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancelx View Post
sorry, not about ereaders, but don't know who else to ask...

i want to convert a lot of WMA files into basic MP3 files.

It's a series of 11 instructional CDS... I converted the tracks into WMA. But I need MP3

My program, ULEAD does not seem to do it.

Are there any FREE, clean progs out there to do it?

I appreciate any PMs

James
I'd download the latest version of Windows Media Player, and then rip the CDs again. WMP can output MP3.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
cancelx
Nervous Groupie

I have WMP11, but I'm not ripping CDs... I have a HD with 11 CD Folders of WMA Tracks.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:14 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancelx View Post
Hi. I don't know, i've never used.

id be doing this on a PC computer, Windows XP
It may be overkill, but look at Audacity (available for multiple O/S)
Open the WMA file
Export as MP3

Last edited by theducks; 03-21-2010 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Export, not Save
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:21 PM   #8
cancelx
Nervous Groupie

Thanks folks,

My Nero used to do a simple job of it, but my OS I think saw it as a virus last time I set it up, so not going that route.

I'll check itunes and Audacity. I just want to stay away from anything that spies on the system, or kills resources.

thanks !
Old 03-21-2010, 10:32 PM   #9
rxsz
Connoisseur
rxsz began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
cdex

Try cdex, available here and freeware.

http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/
rxsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:23 AM   #10
silverraven
Guru

http://support.xmplay.com/article.php?id=36
XM Play is one of the lightest weight players around. I use it all the time. When I read your comment about hogging resources I thought I would check to see if it does conversions. Well, I guess it does! Thank you for asking this question, now I have learned something about one of my favorite programs.
Also, does Winamp convert? It is not as lightweight as XM Play, but it is lighter than iTunes.
Good luck, let us know what you use.
S
Old 03-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
iTunes definitely converts (DRM-free) WMA into MP3. Just load your WMAs into iTunes, select them, right click, and select "Convert to MP3" from the pop-up menu.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:24 AM   #12
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
I've never used it but I'd try the WMA to MP3 converter. It gets fairly good reviews at afterdawn.com.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote