Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 11-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #16
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
Do you have the hard drive Archos (without SD slot). I installed FBreader and Aldiko and I can't install any books. Calibre doesn't recognize the dievice either. Any help you can give me would be great.
I have the old (non-Android) Archos with the hard drive. My new (Android) one is only flash.

What I did for Aldkio was this:
1. Install Aldkio 1.1.6
2. Run Aldkio and tell it to import some eBooks. This will fail because there are no eBooks to import.
3. But, now on your internal storage, there is a directory called /eBooks/import.
4. Put your ePub eBooks into this directory and re-run the import. Aldkio should find eBooks at this point.

I don't believe that it makes a difference if you are using the flash or hard drive version of the Archos Android.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #17
major c
major c began at the beginning.

Device: archos 5 it
Just joined as I am trying to get The Economist full print edition RSS as an epub file - and yes I am apaid subscriber.

aldiko works perfectly on my Archos IT 5 with any of its downloads - BUT whilst Calibre downloads the RSS and converts it to an epub file, it is a disaster as you can't save in a form that is recognised direct to the Archos or otherwise and if you copy it to another location it changes its file name to zillions of digits.

The problem is - so I am told - that the IT 5 pretends that part of the main memory is the SD card.

Supposedly its being fixed - we shall see.

Anyone have any ideas in the meantime?
major c is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #18
jswinden
Nameless Being

I owned an Archos 5 IT one day and took it back. Honestly, if Android is the best Google can come it with they need to stop developing OSes. This gadget was total crap, especially the Android portion. No wonder developers are not developing much for it. Plus Archos support was lackluster. I finally got FBReader to work only to find out it really sucked. FBReader on the PC is pretty good, but the Android version is terrible. Next I got Aldiko to work, but only after messing with the Android file system settings fo over an hour. Apparently you have to tell Android that you added a new folder and/or new files, that is force it to rescan the filing system. What a POS! Aldiko was finally able to see and read the /eBooks/import folder and import my books. However, the Aldiko documentation said Aldiko would look for those folders on the SD card. BS, it looks for them on the internal memory.

My assessment: Archos 5 IT and Android are both a total waste of time--don't bother with either as far as eBook readers go.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:13 AM   #19
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
My assessment: Archos 5 IT and Android are both a total waste of time--don't bother with either as far as eBook readers go.
But, then, it was never intended to be an eBook reader.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

This an eBook related forum, why discuss the Archos 5IT if not in light of that?
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #21
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I run FBReader on my Android phone (Samsung Moment) and I love it. I tried Aldkio, and it is fancier than FBReader, but FBReader is much faster loading books.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #22
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
This an eBook related forum, why discuss the Archos 5IT if not in light of that?
Because it can be used as an eBook reader. If you already have one for other purposes (like using it as the Internet tablet that it's marketed as), then it makes a convienent eBook reader.

That doesn't mean that's necessairly a good dedicated eBook reader.

Personally, I still read eBooks on my Droid sometimes. Not because it's a good eBook reader, but because it's attached to me most of the time.