Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-09-2009, 07:08 PM   #16
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I wonder if this is just a licensing agreement issue? SonyUSA will not ship (or allow Amazon to ship) products to Japan. SonyJapan doesn't make a reader using English OS. B&H Video was shipping Sony505 to Japan produced by SonyCanada. Yadda, yadda, yadda....

There are so many different trade agreements for international licensing with Japanese 'parent companies' that I often wonder how they keep track of it all! Perhaps this is just a temporary situation while they get things squared away.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #17
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
Still available in Canada here & here.

I think Stitchawl is on the right track and that this is a retailer/reseller issue. Anyone who thinks that the 700 is discontinued only needs to call their local Sony Style store to find out that it is still redly available.

::::Edit:::::

And available here & here for all you americans!

Last edited by mklynds; 07-09-2009 at 09:56 PM.
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #18
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Someone should tell Sony that stores are telling people the 700 is "discontinued by Sony." If that's not true, it's libel, of the type that's lawsuit-worthy--Sony will indeed lose sales if people are told the product they're looking for is no longer made, as opposed to being out of stock or no longer carried by the first store they looked at.

With the drop in K2 price, making it serious competition, I expect they'd very much like people to know that the 700 is still available.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:51 PM   #19
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
I agree Elfwreck and when I talked to Sony I made sure to tell both of the Reps that this business where reporting the 700 as discontinued. I am intrested to see what comes of this. I imagine their is something going on behind the scenes and that Sony is cutting off some of these retailers/resellers for breaking of contract or some such reason.

Oh I should also add that the Sony Style Canada rep was surprised when I told her that B&H Photo was reporting it discontinued. She stated that they had always had a good relationship with B&H and that they sold a lot of units. She didn't understand what could have happened to cause such a miscommunication.
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #20
Parastie
Parastie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (hopefully)
Maybe sony is preparing a 705 with a better screen, and a new 800 with a larger screen and wifi? The reps may not be informed that the 700 is being replaced by a 705 model?
Parastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #21
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parastie View Post
Maybe sony is preparing a 705 with a better screen, and a new 800 with a larger screen and wifi? The reps may not be informed that the 700 is being replaced by a 705 model?
That's true. I know it's a different product but companies lie or don't inform customer service. Last year my favorite shampoo formula was changed by L'oreal. We heard the rumor on a hair board and many of us called L'oreal and we were told that it was not the case. 10 months later a new shampoo and conditioner came out and I could not find the old formula anywhere local. I had to order it from a beauty supply store in NY, paying $7.99 a bottle (ordered 4) and $9 in shipping. If they would have told the truth I would have stock up on it locally because it was still available for $4.99 (normal price). I think they don't tell the truth because they don't want people to stop buying it. They still have inventory out there that they probably trying to get rid off.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #22
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Anyone know long ereaders seem to stay on the market? I mean particular models of ereaders? Thanks.

It might be hard to resist temptation if Sony released a newer model with wifi access. Especially if they allowed a trade in program like (I heard) they did with the 500 for the 505.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #23
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I think the amount of time on the market is highly variable. Sony doesn't seem to be discontinuing the 505 anytime soon, but it's pretty clear the 700 will be replaced with a new model. I suspect the 505 will become the "entry level" e-Reader, and the 700+ models will be the feature laden, "must compete with the bleeding edge readers" model.

All IMO.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:02 AM   #24
ReaderTom
ReaderTom began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S; Sony PRS-505
I really don't care if Sony won't produce the 700 any longer, if they use their production capacities to produce a bigger reader. I have the prs505 and it's a fine piece of work, if you want to read fiction and nothing else. I also have the iRex DRS1000, which has a nice big screen, but else is a piece of cheap plastic, far from Sony's quality standards. So I'm just looking forward to get my hands on a 10" reader by Sony. That would make my day!

Tom
ReaderTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #25
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
"This product is no longer available for purchase." on SonyStyle.com.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #26
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
"This product is no longer available for purchase." on SonyStyle.com.
Still available at SonyStyle.ca. Are we getting the leftovers?
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #27
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Naturally! Normally they dump the leftovers in Europe, but as Sony never sold that one here, it would look weird in this case...

So, they went to Canada instead...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #28
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
I see "Out of stock".

My guess is that Sony is planning a replacement for 700 aimed at academic market and is going to release it before the start of the school year. Other actions that I think are likely:
1) Mac version of eBook Library
2) Switch to EPUB in the eBook Store
3) Firmware update for PRS-505 and (hopefully) PRS-700
4) Price drop for PRS-505 or an updated model with the Epson controller.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #29
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Sony Germany negates that a firmware update for the PRS-505 is planned in the foreseeable future.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #30
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Other actions that I think are likely:
1) Mac version of eBook Library
1) This has already been announced by Sony (if the Sony email, received AFAIK only by zelda_pinwheel, is not a prank), so yes, very likely.
Quote:
2) Switch to EPUB in the eBook Store
2) Don't see any particular reason for it. The LRX format hasn't been broken as of yet, and this step would make the Sony Store even less relevant than it already is. Unless their plan is to start selling books for other DRM'ed EPUB capable devices and phones, but then Sony would have to compete on price with all the rest of the ebook stores? As far as the Reader is concerned, the LRF/LRX support is still better than EPUB, and there is plenty of PRS-500's out there with no EPUB support whatsoever.
Quote:
3) Doubt it. Do you really think Sony is spending precious little software development resources on the new features for "obsolete" readers? Unless those "obsolete" readers could provide a new exclusive revenue stream which they probably won't. I would think they are working on the new connected readers line, perhaps with dictionary lookup support, web store support, maybe even a data plan built into the price (like Kindle).
Quote:
4) Price drop for PRS-505 or an updated model with the Epson controller.
4) It seems that the PRS-505 is being phased out as well. I was told by an ABT Electronics contact that as soon as in August Sony is coming out with a whole new line of Readers (may be BS, but they don't expect any more shipments of either PRS-700 or PRS-505). As of now SonyStyle stopped offering both PRS-700 and PRS-505/LC and covers with light. So I think it's really the end of it for the current generation of Readers...
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote