Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #46
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The one book I have re-read most times (6) and over the longest time period is James H. Schmitz The Universe Against Her. Nowadays I am constantly re-reading all my Georgette Heyer and Anthony Price books. I did re-read all the Modesty Blaise books regularly (5 times) but seems to have stopped that.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #47
voidIndigo
Enthusiast
voidIndigo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, REB 1200, Kobo Glo
There is this german scifi series, Perry Rhodan, which is over 3000 (you read right) books and still going. Sadly, there were only ~700 published in Brazil. Currently, I'm reading all of them again. I'm learning german just to read the rest!

The #10 is "Battle in the Vega Sector" and is my all time favorite. It is the first one where they go beyond the solar system, and meet intelligent alien races, and engage in a MAJOR space battle. The sheer and boundless sense of adventure still gives me goosebumps. I think I read it over 20 times.

Also, I´m in my 3rd or 4th copy of "Dune", by Frank Herbert (they wear out!). The layers (plans within plans within plans), the multitude of subjects (ecology, economy, politics, religion, loyalty), the hints at things that were (the little excerpts at the begining of each chapter)... I read it whenever I remember. In fact, you just gave me an excuse for another run!

void Indigo

Last edited by voidIndigo; 07-30-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: typos
voidIndigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2009, 07:38 PM   #48
Reporter15
Author
Reporter15 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by voidIndigo View Post
There is this german scifi series, Perry Rhodan, which is over 3000 (you read right) books and still going. Sadly, there were only ~700 published in Brazil. Currently, I'm reading all of them again. I'm learning german just to read the rest!

The #10 is "Battle in the Vega Sector" and is my all time favorite. It is the first one where they go beyond the solar system, and meet intelligent alien races, and engage in a MAJOR space battle. The sheer and boundless sense of adventure still gives me goosebumps. I think I read it over 20 times.

Also, I´m in my 3rd or 4th copy of "Dune", by Frank Herbert (they wear out!). The layers (plans within plans within plans), the multitude of subjects (ecology, economy, politics, religion, loyalty), the hints at things that were (the little excerpts at the begining of each chapter)... I read it whenever I remember. In fact, you just gave me an excuse for another run!

void Indigo

Wowwwww! My husband is a Perry Rhodan FANATIC, and I am in the process of trying to locate these books as ebooks for him. Do you know if they exist anywhere? I would be very grateful for any info!!!!!

Thank you,
Lynn
Reporter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:08 AM   #49
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I would have to say Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand I've probably read it about 15 times, at least and next would be The Secret Garden By Burnett and after that The King's General by Daphne Du Maurier both countless times.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:39 AM   #50
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
The Running Man by Stephen King (Richard Bachman)
The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker

All my collection of mythology and religion books too, but I tend to just read a couple of pages here and there in no particular order.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2009, 02:41 AM   #51
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
The one book that I seem to return to every few years is If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino. I think I'm on either my fourth or fifth copy of it because I always loan it out and never get it back.
Whoa!

I had to read this book at university and it nearly put me off reading for the rest of my life . Fortunately I can't remember any of it.

Maybe you are not getting your copies back because people keep throwing them off bridges in disgust

Diff'rent strokes!
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:52 AM   #52
Lo Zeno
Addict
Lo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura about

Device: Hanlin V3 (with lBook firmware & OpenInkPot)
I am a fan of Jules Verne since I was able to read. I have two hardcover editions of The Mysterious Island (L'île mystérieuse) and Michel Strogoff that I keep re-reading again and again.
Oh, and also A Fifteen Years Old Captain (Un capitaine de quinze ans)
Lo Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:06 PM   #53
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I almost never reread a book -- too many books I want to read waiting in the wings.

The only books I can recall rereading are The Complete Tales of Edgar Allan Poe and Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls.

Last edited by Daithi; 07-31-2009 at 01:09 PM. Reason: I wrote "The Complete Tails of Edgar..." ooops
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:10 PM   #54
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've been reading The Fifth Head of Cerberus by Gene Wolfe every year since about 1984, and finding something new and wonderful on every re-read. I actually think that this year, I finally "get it." That's a very rewarding feeling.

Just as a reference point, I'm not a complete idiot. It took me 1.5 readings of Russell Hoban's Riddley Walker to get to the same level of comprehension (I started over at about the midpoint), and most of the people I know have not even been willing to try.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:17 PM   #55
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I almost never reread a book
There's no "almost" for me. I have never reread a book.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:53 PM   #56
jwsheets
Connoisseur
jwsheets began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Hiero's Journey and Unforsaken Hiero by Sterling Lanier, Lord of the Ring Triolgy by JRR Tolkien, Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis, How to be Funny and Dumbeth by Steve Allen
jwsheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:36 AM   #57
Fiberfolly
Fiberfolly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
When I was a child it was The Childrens Bluebird, and a couple of the Wizard of OZ books my grandmother had at her house. As a teen it was A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Now it is the Outlander series bye Diana Gabaldon. I re read those every time she has a new one coming out. This time I am listening to the Audios because I'm running out of time and they are looooong books.

Deb
Fiberfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #58
Korum
Korum began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Great suggestions - unfortunately my tastes were more mainstream when young - Enid Blyton Secret Seven books!!! Loved and re-read them many a time...then Roald Dalh helped me through a time (Twits etc) then it came to Eddings, Belgariad, etc and then amazingly Jeffery Archer (Kane and Able)! Now none of those books are deep and meaningful or the best example of prose, but they have stuck in my mind and I love re-reading them for nostalgia more than anything else. If you are a science fiction fan like me, Peter F Hamilton books are just so massive..you have to re-read them as you forget the complex story!!!
Korum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #59
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Korum, have you read any of the non-children's Roald Dahl stories? He wrote a number of amazing (and twisted) stories that are definitely of an adult nature. If not, I highly suggest you check out the Everyman's Library edition of his Collected Stories. Sadly it looks like his books/stories aren't available as ebooks, but this tome is worth having around the house.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #60
kaan
Connoisseur
kaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony prs-505
That would be "Grimm's Fairy Tales" for me.
I mix in some H.C. Andersen once in a while.
kaan is offline   Reply With Quote