Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-24-2007, 09:08 AM   #106
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
Does anyone know why some characters are transformed in Russian characters?
I've found that, if you have the book language set to "English", accented characters get converted to Russian characters. You can get around this by setting the language to "German" and reloading the RTF.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:15 AM   #107
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Thanks Harry that helps a lot! Do you also happen to know a workaround for the "&" sign?
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2007, 09:22 AM   #108
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
Thanks Harry that helps a lot! Do you also happen to know a workaround for the "&" sign?
I've not met that problem yet, so I'm afraid I don't have a workaround. I only started using BD yesterday, so my experience of it is extremely limited, so far!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:29 AM   #109
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Well in my opinion you know a lot already! I just discovered the "Element Browser" and that is really handy.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #110
jwhayn
Enthusiast
jwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with others

Device: Kindle Voyage
New Vista Problem -- Updated

The following was fixed by unstalling an Intuit program called Find My Deductions and loading a different program that fixed the VB 6 runime problems.
__________________________________________________ ___________
I migrated from XP to Vista -- please do not ask why. Bookdesigner seemed to work okay at first. Now I get the following error:
++++++++++
Component 'comctl32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid
++++++++++

__________________________________________________ ___________

Now I unistalled and reloaded BookDesigner and the updates to a user space area (also tried the default program files area with the same result). BookDesigner now works for most if not all book format outputs except for Sony Reader. Nothing happens at all when I press Make eBooks fore the Sony Reader but it does work for Librie and others. Any ideas?

Last edited by jwhayn; 03-24-2007 at 02:37 PM.
jwhayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2007, 12:05 AM   #111
humandroid
Connoisseur
humandroid began at the beginning.

I've been using this a lot today and am very happy with it for the most part.

For a while I was discouraged about converting lit files.
It took me a while to figure out that I needed to double click the images to bring up a second window in order to delete them.

And sometimes when there is the word "by" before the authors name it puts the word "by" way down on the next page when you actually create the book.
I don't know why so I have started deleting the word before I create the book.

Now I guess the only thing bugging me now is that I can't seem to get very good output from any pdf files.
They just do not seem to translate well for me at all.
Any tips on converting pdf files would be nice.

Thanks for such a wonderful program!
humandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:39 AM   #112
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by humandroid
Now I guess the only thing bugging me now is that I can't seem to get very good output from any pdf files.
They just do not seem to translate well for me at all.
Any tips on converting pdf files would be nice.

Thanks for such a wonderful program!
Unfortunatelly, BD converts PDF to TXT and looses all special formatting.

So far I am aware about two ways to make LRF from PDF.

1. Use ABBYY PDF Transformer 2 to convert PDF to RTF. Then use BD to make LRF from RTF.

2. Open PDF in Adobe Acrobat Ptofessional and save all as HTML 4. Then use BD to make LRF from HTML. (If you save it as HTML 3 the formatting will be bad. Lots of spacing between every line etc.)
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:06 AM   #113
sartori
Connoisseur
sartori began at the beginning.

I posted this tip in another thread - If you have a gmail account - email the pdf to yourself as an attachment - view your message and click on view attachment as html.

For all the pdfs I have tried this with it keeps the bold, italics and font sizes and it also handles line breaks nicely.

Rob
sartori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #114
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartori
I posted this tip in another thread - If you have a gmail account - email the pdf to yourself as an attachment - view your message and click on view attachment as html.

For all the pdfs I have tried this with it keeps the bold, italics and font sizes and it also handles line breaks nicely.

Rob
I tried it and this is what GMAIL says:

Quote:
The entire attachment cannot be displayed because it is too large.If there are images in this attachment, they will not be displayed.
He shows until page 169 and that is not enough for most books.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:01 PM   #115
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Can you break the file up into smaller chunks?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:04 PM   #116
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvaann
I do read Russian. You need to download the main program
http://www.the-ebook.org/e107/request.php?8

and the last update
http://www.the-ebook.org/e107/e107_f...2007_01_29.zip

Install the program and extract all files from the update to the BD directory. That's all - have fun.
Wasn't there a bookdesigner.exe file as well to install? I know I did thinking that is what made this version work for the sony reader?
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:58 PM   #117
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Can you break the file up into smaller chunks?

I tried that as well but when I try to open it in BD I get an error saying he can't read the format.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:07 PM   #118
vvaann
Enthusiast
vvaann began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings
Wasn't there a bookdesigner.exe file as well to install? I know I did thinking that is what made this version work for the sony reader?
My post was before bookdesigner.exe file appears.
vvaann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:52 PM   #119
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I meant break it up into smaller chunks and send the smaller chunks through the g-mail transformation, diabloNL.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:56 PM   #120
humandroid
Connoisseur
humandroid began at the beginning.

I have several ebooks that I made with BookDesigner that somehow have the date as the author.
I have no idea how that happened.
Is there any way to edit the author and title without starting all over from scratch?
I tried EditLrfMetaGUI but it never works correctly for me.
I always either get errors or unreadable files.
humandroid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookdesigner