Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #16
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Dell has something similar to the Archos 5 Android under development, see Dell Streak is a 5-inch Android 2.0 MID. See also Motorola Droid Preview which Verizon in the US has been advertising as an iPhone alternative. It has a 3.7" 854×480 capacitive screen.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #17
Storm27
Connoisseur
Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3S, android phone
Very basic question, but what reading software can be be installed on an Android device? And which formats can it handle?
Storm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #18
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm27 View Post
Very basic question, but what reading software can be be installed on an Android device? And which formats can it handle?
The 2nd video in the 1st post shows Aldiko and FBReaderJ. Aldiko is an ePub Reader, FBReaderJ reads ePub, FB2, and MOBI with more formats planned (note that FBReaderJ does not fully support ePub features). Both are for DRM-free ebooks only. Barnes & Noble is apparently working on an eReader app (perhaps including ePub, it isn't clear yet) which will support DRMed ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #19
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Then again there is this beast...the Archos 9...WOW...now that is the sort of device I would love to see with a 3Qi display:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/12/v...een-impresses/

And it's not that much more expensive than the A5A...

Think I learned, insomnia is sometimes fun???, but the Archos 5 Android (A5A) is a mixed bag, some folks really are unhappy and others are just fine with it...but after reading I am going to keep an eye on the A7 with Win7...it does support a SIM card slot (user accessible), but only about 3-4hrs battery life at the time of the video, might be better now...but that is a NICE LARGE DISPLAY in the KDx range, well about 1" smaller...but you should be able to run ANY reader software as it's a Win7 device. I know Android is really promising but it's lagging like many new things. Win7 and a 1.2GHz Atom CPU is pretty compelling for under $500.

I would use it for reference books, crossword puzzles of course, maybe recreational reading as well but I feel I want a 5" Pocketbook 360 for that...and I would want the Sim-card to get 3G and use Skype (is there even a Skype version for Win7 Starter Edition [whatever the heck THAT might be!!), you could get at your Gmail though there is the Windows Live mail client as well...but that is really the exact idea of a portable device I have been wanting. I want a real computer...battery life though if it's not able to reach the levels of the other Archos models is pretty much a non-starter, no way I would be willing to live with 3-4hrs battery life...

Kind of a shame that Archos seems to have a fairly negative image from long term users. And after my experience with the N800 from Nokia, I am just not willing to buy into a new device, but at least this device has an OS with a much more stable future, heck, it actually HAS a future unlike the Nokia OS2008.

Worth watching as a family of devices that can do more than read books for those who want more all the time or want the flexibility to have more capability on the go. And given the recent Kindle Reader for Windows, it can read Amazon books as well. And ADE DRM EPUB should likewise never be an issue...

I begin to wonder if the real problem in the ereader device world is not the devices but rather the boutique OS's...sure many run some sort of Linux, but like all -ix OS's each of the 1000s of variants have their own quirks. If these MFG went with a more consistent OS things might move forward quicker and probably in a more stable/dependable/predictable and certainly compatible fashion. Then again they all read books like they should, sort of anyway.
The Archos 9 is the one I've been drooling over for months now. Barring seriously bad reviews when a few people get their hands on it for extended testing, I have plans to get one after the first of the year.
That's partly why I didn't get a Nook - I can't justify both, when the Archos does so much more.
LCD vs e-ink doesn't bother me, I can read on anything, and battery life isn't much of a concern either. One cord doesn't bother me either (every place to sit or lie down in this house is near to an outlet strip, LOL), I just don't want to be tied to my desk chair (to always have to read on my PC). And I"m with you on the whole Windows 7 functionality thing when it comes to ebooks, and now with the Kindle for PC app...yeah.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:59 PM   #20
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
The Archos 9 is the one I've been drooling over for months now. Barring seriously bad reviews when a few people get their hands on it for extended testing, I have plans to get one after the first of the year.
That's partly why I didn't get a Nook - I can't justify both, when the Archos does so much more.
LCD vs e-ink doesn't bother me, I can read on anything, and battery life isn't much of a concern either. One cord doesn't bother me either (every place to sit or lie down in this house is near to an outlet strip, LOL), I just don't want to be tied to my desk chair (to always have to read on my PC). And I"m with you on the whole Windows 7 functionality thing when it comes to ebooks, and now with the Kindle for PC app...yeah.
Shel,

I really do see why many are tepid toward the Nook. Interesting device but I have pretty much dismissed it, for now, due to the tiny LCD panel which is of very limited use.

The Archos 9 is exactly the portable tablet/reader which i could be convinced to buy. Still I would be in the SSD/Flash memory group of users, as long as it has the microSDHC slot I'm golden for data storage.

The one drawback is I would want to use it outdoors often as well as away from power. So, like you, but for a different reason, I would want to see some real world results once it's out there in numbers. The 3-4hr battery live mentioned in the vids was also pointed out as just a guess and based on a non-optimized build of the device. Still no way I could manage life using a device with 3-4hrs battery life. I would rather give in to an extra 10-12oz or so of battery additional weight than accept such low power capacity. To me a portable device that needs constant charging is sort of pointless and self defeating. I am hopeful time will provide them with better performance.

And I see why you have been drooling over it...to me this is the level of device I had been expecting over this final quarter of 2009 and early in 2010. Also probably why I will take a look at a small 5" reader (Pocketbook 360 is currently my front runner) for reading on my walks and hikes...

Anyway, I found a few more details here:
http://www.umpcportal.com/products/Archos/9/

Seems most of the details for reviewers are assumptions of non-committal like responses from Archos. One thing I LOVE is it has a MATTE finish display. That is a BIG plus for anyone wanting to actually use it as a mobile device, especially in an office environment where a larger gloss LCD panel can be near impossible to use due to the bright overhead lighting as well as the usual white walls in most offices.

Anyway, I did mention to the mods if this thread belongs here in News or should be in the "Other Devices" forum, just mentioning it in case it moves on ya!!

Here is to hoping there will be a device just like the Archos 9 but with a 3Qi panel, an Intel ULV processor, better battery life and a more robust version of Win7 to get the real tablet features built into Win7. Still I really have serious lust for this device at the announce $499 price point...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 10:57 PM   #21
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Shel,

I really do see why many are tepid toward the Nook. Interesting device but I have pretty much dismissed it, for now, due to the tiny LCD panel which is of very limited use.

The Archos 9 is exactly the portable tablet/reader which i could be convinced to buy. Still I would be in the SSD/Flash memory group of users, as long as it has the microSDHC slot I'm golden for data storage.

The one drawback is I would want to use it outdoors often as well as away from power. So, like you, but for a different reason, I would want to see some real world results once it's out there in numbers. The 3-4hr battery live mentioned in the vids was also pointed out as just a guess and based on a non-optimized build of the device. Still no way I could manage life using a device with 3-4hrs battery life. I would rather give in to an extra 10-12oz or so of battery additional weight than accept such low power capacity. To me a portable device that needs constant charging is sort of pointless and self defeating. I am hopeful time will provide them with better performance.

And I see why you have been drooling over it...to me this is the level of device I had been expecting over this final quarter of 2009 and early in 2010. Also probably why I will take a look at a small 5" reader (Pocketbook 360 is currently my front runner) for reading on my walks and hikes...

Anyway, I found a few more details here:
http://www.umpcportal.com/products/Archos/9/

Seems most of the details for reviewers are assumptions of non-committal like responses from Archos. One thing I LOVE is it has a MATTE finish display. That is a BIG plus for anyone wanting to actually use it as a mobile device, especially in an office environment where a larger gloss LCD panel can be near impossible to use due to the bright overhead lighting as well as the usual white walls in most offices.

Anyway, I did mention to the mods if this thread belongs here in News or should be in the "Other Devices" forum, just mentioning it in case it moves on ya!!

Here is to hoping there will be a device just like the Archos 9 but with a 3Qi panel, an Intel ULV processor, better battery life and a more robust version of Win7 to get the real tablet features built into Win7. Still I really have serious lust for this device at the announce $499 price point...
There is a thread in the "Other Devices" forum already on this topic, and I believe it has been announced that there is no SD slot, however, there is USB, so a USB stick for extra storage would work. Not as ideal as an SD slot, which is almost completely enclosed and therefore much less likely to get broken, but it's still workable. In that thread, I've mentioned that the 60 gig internal storage the Archos 9 comes with should be sufficient for my needs, since I can freely move things between my desktop PC and the Archos via wifi or usb. I am a firm believer in redundancy, all my stuff is backed up about four places, and even one offsite (in case of a house fire). I too have "a serious lust" (love that...) for this product, and can't wait to get some serious extended time reviews on it. I too would LOVE to see a device just like this with a Pixel Qi screen, but I'm not going to wait on one...this baby will be mine after the first of the year, barring some seriously horrible hands on reviews.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:15 AM   #22
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
d'oh!! I was thinking A9 and wrote A7...isn't it the A9 which supports 3G? Anyway the Archos 9 is the model which caught my eye...I just slip-streamed an A7 typo in there...
I stand corrected, it is indead the version with dvd-t tuners. No mentions of 3G though.
http://www.surcouf.com/catalogue/fic...roduct=9665992
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #23
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Archos 5 Internet Tablet actually starts at $249 for the 8GB capacity version.. That is MSRP, I think street price will be available below $200 for the Christmas sales..

Sure, the 3Qi screen would be fantastic on both Archos 5" Android and Archos 9" Windows7 devices..

Hopefully within a few months, Pixel Qi will be able to ship the 3Qi screens at 4.8" and 8.9" sizes also for Android and Windows7 tablets and not only the 10.1" netbook sized one.
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote