Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
PRS-505 firmare upgrade and EBL 3.0

I've tried working with Sony support but don't seem to be getting anywhere.

I just purchased my 505 a couple weeks ago. The first problem I had was the ebook library version 3. I had to uninstall that and go back to version 2.5 on the cd I have. My problem with EBL 3.0 is that I can install the program just fine. I just cannot run the program. The program interface does not open even though I can see the program listed in my task manager. I am running Windows XP media center edition.

I have also not installed the firmware upgrade on my 505 because the instructions on the website states EBL 3.0 is required.

I did look at the DEP settings as Sony support suggested, but my settings were already where they needed to be.

Sony support also said to re-boot my computer after installing the version 3. I can't remember if I did or not and now that I have built up a library of books I am leery of trying to upgrade to version 3 and really making a mess.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
hike_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Since the 505 is new perhaps it already has the firmware installed. The latest firmware for the 505 was released over a year ago. In the settings menu click on 6 (About) and see if you have version 1.1.00.18040. If you do you have the latest firmware.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by hike_gc View Post
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
Does 3.0 have a feature you're needing? If not I wouldn't worry about it and just use 2.5, at least until Sony puts out an improved/fixed version of 3.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #4
Katosen
Nerd Core
Katosen began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Since the 505 is new perhaps it already has the firmware installed. The latest firmware for the 505 was released over a year ago. In the settings menu click on 6 (About) and see if you have version 1.1.00.18040. If you do you have the latest firmware.
Hm, thats strange then. I have 1.1.01.25200. I try to 'update' to 1.1.00.18040 and nothing happens. Says I'm already up to date.
Katosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Did you uninstall 2.5 first? And, after you do delete the Kinoma and other folders... there is a thread here somewhere that tells you exactly which folders to delete.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Does Sony know they have a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Does 3.0 have a feature you're needing? If not I wouldn't worry about it and just use 2.5, at least until Sony puts out an improved/fixed version of 3.

After spending a very unsuccessful hour doing an online chat with Sony this evening, I was essentially blown off with the "The problem is you don't know how to use a computer" attitude. I'm not so sure Sony even admits version 3 has a problem. They did say to call the ebook library support line which I doubt I will decide I have that much time to waste.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:15 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
After spending a very unsuccessful hour doing an online chat with Sony this evening, I was essentially blown off with the "The problem is you don't know how to use a computer" attitude. I'm not so sure Sony even admits version 3 has a problem. They did say to call the ebook library support line which I doubt I will decide I have that much time to waste.
Did they get onto your computer with remote control software? If not, then I would say that they don't know how to do support.

BOb
Old 09-10-2009, 11:15 PM   #8
hike_gc
Zealot

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post

I purchased my 505 about 2 weeks ago and the firmware say 1.1.01.25200. So does that mean my firmware is more up to date than yours?
Old 09-10-2009, 11:17 PM   #9
hike_gc
Zealot

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Did you uninstall 2.5 first? And, after you do delete the Kinoma and other folders... there is a thread here somewhere that tells you exactly which folders to delete.

BOb
When I was doing the online chat tonight, the tech just had me open my 2.5 version and go to Help, Check for Updates to get version 3. Of course that did not work and neither tech I chatted with tonight mentioned uninstalling version 2 first.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:20 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
When I was doing the online chat tonight, the tech just had me open my 2.5 version and go to Help, Check for Updates to get version 3. Of course that did not work and neither tech I chatted with tonight mentioned uninstalling version 2 first.
It's worth a try... you can always reinstall 2.5 if it doesn't work. Just make sure after you uninstall it you delete the "kinoma" folders I told you about...

Gee.. I can never find the full instructions on doing this.. I've gotta put it in the Wiki the next time I track it down.

BOb