Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-08-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
memnochskat
memnochskat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
DX owner from Tennessee

Hello all. I received a DX for my birthday. It's the first portable ebook reader I've ever owned. Two weeks into ownership and I'm more than just a little addicted. I've been collecting ebooks for YEARS, as well as indulging my addiction for Hardbacks.

I'm known as a "crafty" person, and have already started in on my first home made DX cover/carrying case. I'd love to talk to other's who've done the same thing and swap ideas.

Has anyone else going into "Oh my Kindle will fit into that" mode while out shopping?

I have to say, that I don't know much about my DX. But have been lurcking on boards and reading up.

I'm interested in learning how to convert some of the many .lit files I have into DX compatable files.

I'm also interested in learning how to make some of the PDF files I have more DX compatable?

Could someone point me in the correct direction on these topics

I wonder also if anyone has found a way to create folders in the Kindle? I already carry the thing EVERYWHERE I go... have considered uploading my huge collection of local resturant menu's which I scanned into my computer, as well as other such things. A folder system would be awesome.
memnochskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Welcome to MobileRead, memnochskat!

If you put all of those menus on your DX, then you can sit down in the restaurant and order off your Kindle instead of the paper menu. I bet that would freak out the wait staff.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2

I don't have a Kindle, but I definitely make sure any purse I buy is big enough for my Sony!

Because lit files are protected with DRM and it is illegal to strip the DRM here in the US, we can't really tell you how to do it. Having said that, if you use your search engine and ask how to convert lit files, I am sure you will find the information you seek.

As far as pdf files on the Kindle, I'm afraid I can't help. But if you check out the Kindle forum, I know we have plenty of gurus there who can help.

From one "Crafty" person to another, welcome!!

Happy reading.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
memnochskat
memnochskat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post

If you put all of those menus on your DX, then you can sit down in the restaurant and order off your Kindle instead of the paper menu. I bet that would freak out the wait staff.

Dreamer
LOL yeah I bet it would. I used to keep a huge file folder of paper menu's for those days when I just didn't feel up to cooking... but got trendy one day and scanned them all...

I was out with some friends the other day, and we were tossing around lunch ideas, and I was just wishing I had my laptop with me so I could pull up my menu file. All the while thinking that I should have uploaded them to the Kindle...

Really without a file system, the Kindle usablility beyond that of a simple few book ereader becomes limited. I'd love to buy/upload all my textbooks and reference materials for class onto the thing. It would simply make more since to be able to organize the information stored on your Kindle. The DX is touted to store over 3,000 books at one time! I really hope Amazon decides to add this feature.

While you can "search" the Kindle for what you're looking for, at 7a.m. my brain power is low, and remembering what I labled my uploaded class notes as, is sometimes a pain in the a**...

The most fun I've had with my Kindle so far:

I uploaded a local flora/fauna guide for my area and went on a Nature walk... it was great to be able to look up and bookmark the species I found!
memnochskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi memnochskat and welcome to MobileRead. I got my hands on a DX the other day and was impressed. Enjoy
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Sorry for being late, but . . .

Hello memnochskat, and Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome b&w.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	32244 to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote