Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-07-2009, 02:51 AM   #1
DazeDreamer
DazeDreamer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Greetings from Tennessee

Hi, All,

As someone who likes to read, but doesn't have room for a lot of books, the idea of an E Reader is really appealing. I joined this forum to find out more about the various E Reader options before making a purchase.
DazeDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:24 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, DazeDreamer

You've come to the right place to get lots of information. If you look at the top of this page on the left side, you can click on the Wiki. Lots of information on devices and formats there.

Some things you should keep in mind when making a decision:

What you would like to read on your device in order of preference and quantity.. NYT best sellers, back titles, sci-fi, classics, tech manuals, library books, etc...

The answer to the above question sometimes determines which reader may have better support.

The various devices support various formats. Not all devices support the same formats. Some may not even support DRM formats at all. When checking format compatibility (as an example) if it lists epub, make sure to find out which it supports ... DRM'd epub or nonDRM'd epub or both ...

DRM locks a book to that particular format and sometimes that particular device. (Sony store DRM format is lrx and can only be read on the Sony. But the Sony does support many other formats so this is not a major problem--- this is my opinion) (Kindle store, Amazon, format can't be read on other devices - I don't have a Kindle so no experience with it)

I'm not bringing up format shifting or DRMing in this discussion as it requires tech savy and may or may not be legal.

Someone will jump in and add to my post and / or correct what I've posted if needed.

Cruise the forums and threads. Ask questions when needed and just have fun.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
ladyjane
I hate to clean
ladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, Acer NetBook
Hello DazeDreamer and welcome I can only speak for myself, I have a sony 505 and love it and have never had a problem getting the book I want in the format I need. What ever reader you decide on will be the right one for you. When I was making my decision I asked questions and read everything on here that I could, the ppl here have a ton of information and are very patient. So ask away and good luck in your search. Happy reading
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
welcome to MobileRead, dazedreamer.

You'll find lots of friendly people here, ready to answer questions.

For starters, why not look at this section of our Wiki? Kind of a 'everything in a nutshell' .........

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices

Enjoy the forums.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi DazeDreamer and welcome to MobileRead. You'll get lots of friendly advice here. I've had a Sony 505 for over a year and a half and really like it. Anyway, be sure and check out our 'Which One Should I Buy?' section here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Welcome to the forum! plenty of information in the links provided to help you on your way! I have loved my 505.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:47 PM   #7
DazeDreamer
DazeDreamer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks, folks. I appreciate the links and suggestions. I can see that this will probably take a while, but, based on what I've read so far, I'm leaning toward a Sony 505.
DazeDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
You won't be disappointed in the 505. Although I would recommend you compare the 505 and the 700 side-by-side in a Sony store.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:58 AM   #9
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DazeDreamer View Post
Thanks, folks. I appreciate the links and suggestions. I can see that this will probably take a while, but, based on what I've read so far, I'm leaning toward a Sony 505.
GREAT Choice! I love mine. I came into this whole thing rather blindsighted...I only looked at the 505 and the Kindle. I went with the 505 for the library books, but mainly because it was alot cheaper, and also a friend had one, and loved hers. and even after researching the Kindle more, as well as other readers, I'm still glad I got the 505.

Good luck! Let us know what you end up with.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote