Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Perpetual Movie Marathon

It's movie time! Stroll through the sculpture and art gallery, past the fully stocked snack bar (never runs out of popcorn or chocolate), and into the cozy lounge theater. Put your feet up and get comfortable just in time for the opening credits of the back-to-back features in the perpetual movie marathon.

The entertainment begins with What a Way to Go

Also on the coming attractions list:
Local Hero
Bagdad Cafe
Stranger than Fiction

It's time to offer up your favorite movies.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Steel Magnolias
Fried Green Tomatoes
Terms of Endearment

Notice a pattern?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Steel Magnolias
Fried Green Tomatoes
Terms of Endearment

Notice a pattern?
Very southern!

Does anyone know the max number of movies allowed in a Netflix queue? I'm afraid mine might explode in a day or so.

Dreamer
Old 09-08-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
the Thin Man with William Powell and Myrna Loy !
The Awful Truth with Cary Grant (:swoon: ) !

do these have to be english movies, or can i propose french ones too ? i'd think a bunch of reading fanatics wouldn't mind a few subtitles, right ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
Very southern!

Does anyone know the max number of movies allowed in a Netflix queue? I'm afraid mine might explode in a day or so.

Dreamer
I'm up to 400 or so (mainly due to old TV series I didn't have time to watch). If there is anything that I ever might have wanted to see, I put it in my queue.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 12:10 PM   #6
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
the Thin Man with William Powell and Myrna Loy !
The Awful Truth with Cary Grant (:swoon: ) !

do these have to be english movies, or can i propose french ones too ? i'd think a bunch of reading fanatics wouldn't mind a few subtitles, right ?
So just what is the awful truth with Cary Grant? Anyway, I'll add Amelie to the list. Love it!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #7
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist

Most of my favorite subtitled movies are German, like Der Krieger und die Kaiserin. Thanks to a former co-worker I can recognize German curse words without subtitles.

Dreamer
Old 09-08-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
So just what is the awful truth with Cary Grant? Anyway, I'll add Amelie to the list. Love it!
ohmyGOD only one of the most BRILLIANT films EVER from the golden age of cinema (and did i mention the star is Cary Grant ? the love of my life ?) !!! seriously, if you have not seen it, go rent it TODAY !!!!! i've got in on dvd of course, i just never get tired of it. i'd lend it to you but it would be the wrong zone encoding (sigh).

amélie is brilliant as well. i've also got that one on dvd.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:23 PM   #9
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
How many are we allowed?
Here's some of mine: The Forbidden Planet, The 39 Steps (Robert Donat), Ran, An Ideal Husband (1947), Hannah and Her Sisters, A Matter of Life and Death, My Fair Lady, The Ladykillers (1955), The Incredibles, The Seventh Seal, Felicia's Journey, An American Werewolf in London
I could go on, and on, and ...

But if this is for a Netflix list; you could also consider adding classic TV stuff that's out on DVD - brilliant documentaries, comedies and dramas!!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:26 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I forgot the all-time best movie ever made: The Simpsons Movie
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #11
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Sweet November
The Day the Earth Stood Still (the original, not the remake-- I haven't seen that yet)
Good Night and Good Luck

Subtitles are fine. I'd even be willing to watch a movie without them, especially in a Romance language where I'd have a chance of knowing what's going on anyway.

In fact, here are some that are best watched in the original language, with or without subtitles:

Spirited Away
Hero
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:37 PM   #12
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Little Voice
Casablanca
Richard III (Ian McKellan)
Hamlet (Kenneth Branagh)
Much Ado About Nothing (Kenneth Branagh)
On a Clear Day
Silver Streak
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:37 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

oh the ladykillers from 1955 is BRILLIANT !!! you should put that one at the top of the list !! which reminds me : Kind Hearts and Coronets (with Alec Guinness, Alec Guinness, Alec Guinness, Alec Guinness, Alec Guinness, Alec Guinness, and Alec Guinness. and i believe Alec Guinness and Alec Guinness also make cameo appearances) should also be at the top of the list.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #14
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
Reportedly 468:

http://idothings.info/i-queue-it-so-you-dont-have-to/
"The other day, I found out that Hugh Laurie starred in a Brit-com called Fortysomething. QUEUE IT! But, when I tried to add it, I got a very disturbing message:
If you wish to add this 2-disc series to your Queue, you must first remove some movies.
Wha-a-a-a-at?
There’s a limit to the Netflix queue? I thought it was endless, like a rainbow ...
I currently have 468 titles. Why is that the limit? Why not 500?"
Old 09-08-2008, 12:48 PM   #15
Sparrow
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Subtitles are fine.
I watched 'Le Trou' the other week - excellent!

More French film suggestions please .

Tags
movies, silliness, unutterable silliness