Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2016, 03:41 PM   #1
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Transplanting data base to Aura One!

Was wondering if anyone has transplanted their data base to aura one?

I know I can copy my library folder from aura over. But not sure if copying the database over will allow us to pick up where we left off on the older reader.. stats and such.. or will we have to rebuild it bigger and better ?

Any suggestions or insight?

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:08 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Personally, I wouldn't advise doing this, but someone did do it when moving to one of the earlier devices. I don't remember exactly what they did, so you will have to do a search.

If you are just worried about the reading status of sideloaded books, use calibre plus my Kobo Utilities plugin to back the up and restore them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2016, 02:48 AM   #3
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
And that is another reason why Kobo should have proper cloud services... So people can freely move from one device to the next...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:34 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Define "proper cloud services"? If you mean one that syncs non-purchased books, then I don't want it. I have no need and would be asking for an option to turn it off. And, I can easily move from one device to another.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:13 AM   #5
DaveFalcon73
Connoisseur
DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Voyage, Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
And that is another reason why Kobo should have proper cloud services... So people can freely move from one device to the next...
Agree, still amazed that Kobo don't have a cloud service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Define "proper cloud services"? If you mean one that syncs non-purchased books, then I don't want it. I have no need and would be asking for an option to turn it off. And, I can easily move from one device to another.
The way Amazon Kindle cloud service works is you can view ALL the books in the cloud that you have on your account and tap one to download manually or just view all the books on your device, and you can toggle between the two effortlessly. It doesn't sync all the books to the device, that would be a bad move. That's really the kind of cloud service that Kobo needs along with the ability to sync your last reading position on a book if you have it on multiple devices.
DaveFalcon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2016, 04:21 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFalcon73 View Post
Agree, still amazed that Kobo don't have a cloud service.
It has been discussed before. At least one reason given was privacy concerns.
Quote:
The way Amazon Kindle cloud service works is you can view ALL the books in the cloud that you have on your account and tap one to download manually or just view all the books on your device, and you can toggle between the two effortlessly. It doesn't sync all the books to the device, that would be a bad move. That's really the kind of cloud service that Kobo needs along with the ability to sync your last reading position on a book if you have it on multiple devices.
You missed my point. I don't have any reason to want my sideloaded books going elsewhere for any reason. I am perfectly capable of managing my books and see no reason for Kobo, Amazon or anyone else to know anything about them.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:33 AM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFalcon73 View Post
I totally agree with davidfor in this. If Kobo offers it any day, I want to be able to opt-out. I have a specific account for my Kobo devices with no there, as I don't want they to sync nothing. I prefer they invest money in improving the reading /library software and not developing some cloud appl.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:37 AM   #8
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
You missed my point. I don't have any reason to want my sideloaded books going elsewhere for any reason. I am perfectly capable of managing my books and see no reason for Kobo, Amazon or anyone else to know anything about them.
Amen.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:31 AM   #9
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I've done this with a Glo to an Aura.
I just selected everything from the Glo, right clicked and zipped it up to the desktop (using like 7z or something, this is important cause the file/folder names maybe too long for windows if not zipped) and then deleted everything off the Aura, and unzipped to the the drive. This can be done at the point after a factory reset by clicking 'I don't have Wi-Fi"
Everything come back on the Aura exactly as it was on the Glo after you disconnect, except you have to re-connect to Wi-Fi cause these settings are stored elsewhere.
The key is to have the folders/files in the exact same spot and the DB wont refresh, you maybe able to directly copy from one device to another but I never tried.

Last edited by freekobo; 09-11-2016 at 07:39 AM.
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:07 AM   #10
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by freekobo View Post
I've done this with a Glo to an Aura.
I just selected everything from the Glo, right clicked and zipped it up to the desktop (using like 7z or something, this is important cause the file/folder names maybe too long for windows if not zipped) and then deleted everything off the Aura, and unzipped to the the drive. This can be done at the point after a factory reset by clicking 'I don't have Wi-Fi"
Everything come back on the Aura exactly as it was on the Glo after you disconnect, except you have to re-connect to Wi-Fi cause these settings are stored elsewhere.
The key is to have the folders/files in the exact same spot and the DB wont refresh, you maybe able to directly copy from one device to another but I never tried.
Problem is of course the fact that aura only has internal storage. No external storage.

Well I guess I will have to wait and see..

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:41 AM   #11
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't advise doing this, but someone did do it when moving to one of the earlier devices. I don't remember exactly what they did, so you will have to do a search.
I did that going from my HD to my H2O. I just copied over the database, and that worked. I tried it this time as well, and this time it did not work. My ONE threw a 'fatal database exception' and gave me the option to logout and in again.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:05 AM   #12
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
yeah external maybe an issue.
I guess they have made changes in regards to the account settings in the new firmware. dang.
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:09 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I did that going from my HD to my H2O. I just copied over the database, and that worked. I tried it this time as well, and this time it did not work. My ONE threw a 'fatal database exception' and gave me the option to logout and in again.
Was the other device running firmware 4.0? Kobo seems to have added some extra database protection in recent firmware, so it might be triggering the error. When you or someone else was looking at this before, I suggested copying the user table from the new device. Have you tried that?
Old 09-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Did you update your H2O to the 4.0 firmware prior to trying the database copy? When I updated my H2O to 4.0, SQL Expert Personal showed quite a few changes had been made during the update process.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:55 PM   #15
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Was the other device running firmware 4.0? Kobo seems to have added some extra database protection in recent firmware, so it might be triggering the error. When you or someone else was looking at this before, I suggested copying the user table from the new device. Have you tried that?
No, it was my H2O, running 3.19.5761. After just copying my database failed, I haven't bothered trying anything else and just started over.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote