Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-09-2016, 08:18 PM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
KA1 battery drains fast and even when off

After draining completely during the night, the KA1 battery was hooked up and fully charged with a wall charger early morning. By mid afternoon, even with just a small amount of reading, it was down to 61% charge.

I turned the KA1 off and left it off. Two hours later it was down to 49%.

All features are turned off, including wifi, sync, lighting.

Any suggestions as to what is going on?
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:15 PM   #2
gibletpie
Enthusiast
gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura One
Even after getting auto sync turned off, mine was continually trying to sync in the background until I signed out and signed back in (through settings>accounts). I assume you have done this?
gibletpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibletpie View Post
Even after getting auto sync turned off, mine was continually trying to sync in the background until I signed out and signed back in (through settings>accounts). I assume you have done this?
g, no, I don't know how I would have known to do that.

I just now did what you said and had to redo the total reinitialization/settings/etc. I even had to redo the firmware mod with PeriodicAutoSync=false.

Hope it was all worthwhile!

Last edited by petercreasey; 09-09-2016 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:11 PM   #4
gibletpie
Enthusiast
gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
g, no, I don't know how I would have known to do that.

I just now did what you said and had to redo the total reinitialization/settings/etc. I even had to redo the firmware mod with PeriodicAutoSync=false.

Hope it was all worthwhile!
Yeah, I had to do that, too. I think it didn't finish syncing correctly the first time.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:55 PM   #5
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I've observed 2 seperate sync battery draining issues with the Aura 1. The first issue was with the stock firmware.. 3.19.something. Even though Autosync was unchecked, and stayed uncheked, it would constantly start trying to sync, and get stuck,,, (even though there was no wifi, so it couldn't even talk to the Kobo servers, it would just keep trying and trying.

The second issue was after updating to the 4.whatever firmware posted on this forum.. (has anyone confirmed that this firmware is even being pushed to the One? It completely reverts some of the new interface elements from the One to previous generation... Example, no "Reading List".) With that firmware installed, you are no longer able to disable Auto Sync from the Settings menu. It looks like you do, but the setting is simply not saved.. You *can* however, edit the settings text file to disable auto sync. But I would note, autosync by itself should not drain the battery to a noticeable degree, assuming all the books have already been downloaded.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2016, 11:51 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Pete: Is there really a need for you to start three different threads for the battery problems with the Aura ONE? And two in less than 24 hours. It is the same problem and asking the question multiple times is not going to get a different answer. It is just going to fracture the discussion and make it harder follow.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:56 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The second issue was after updating to the 4.whatever firmware posted on this forum.. (has anyone confirmed that this firmware is even being pushed to the One? It completely reverts some of the new interface elements from the One to previous generation... Example, no "Reading List".) With that firmware installed, you are no longer able to disable Auto Sync from the Settings menu. It looks like you do, but the setting is simply not saved.. You *can* however, edit the settings text file to disable auto sync. But I would note, autosync by itself should not drain the battery to a noticeable degree, assuming all the books have already been downloaded.
When I opened the box on my Aura One and connected it to the Kobo Desktop app, it automagically updated to 4.0.7523 from 3.20.6894.

I used PeriodicAutoSync=false under the [ApplicationPreferences] header and that seems to have kept auto sync from happening -- just don't accidentally check the Automatic Sync box as that removes the PeriodicAutoSync=false entry from the configuration file and you'll need to re-add it to disable automatic sync.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:08 AM   #8
petercreasey
Wizard

david, unusual situation in that different people needed to be targeted!
Old 09-10-2016, 10:55 AM   #9
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibletpie View Post
Even after getting auto sync turned off, mine was continually trying to sync in the background
g, thanks for your help with all of this.

I'm curious...how did you know yours was trying to sync in the background? Just battery draining? Or something else?
Old 09-10-2016, 11:53 AM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The second issue was after updating to the 4.whatever firmware posted on this forum.. (has anyone confirmed that this firmware is even being pushed to the One? It completely reverts some of the new interface elements from the One to previous generation... Example, no "Reading List".) With that firmware installed, you are no longer able to disable Auto Sync from the Settings menu.
Having no reading list is correct for the 4.xx version of the firmware, that's not a reversion to an old firmware. The autosync setting not sticking in config file is a known bug in 4.0.7523 and should be fixed in next update.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:57 AM   #11
gibletpie
Enthusiast

Quote:
g, thanks for your help with all of this.

I'm curious...how did you know yours was trying to sync in the background? Just battery draining? Or something else?
There's a tile on the home screen that usually says "Sync" with the date or time of your last sync listed. Mine always said "Syncing" with the little arrow circle on the left revolving. This was also present in the menu you get by clicking on the three dots in the upper right hand corner.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:59 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
david, unusual situation in that different people needed to be targeted!
In the same forum?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:59 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
In the same forum?
I couldn't work out if he was referring to your post or my question about multiple threads. In either case, I couldn't work out what the unusual circumstances were or who the the different people were.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote