Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-09-2016, 07:18 AM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
KA1 battery drained overnight

My KA1 did fine the first day HOWEVER not so overnight.

When I turned it off last night it was at 61% (which I thought was kind of low for the amount of reading I've done).

This morning the battery was totally drained. The red light has not come on but the reader is charging and now up to 17%.

I have wifi and sync turned off.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to what to try now?
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:09 AM   #2
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
It is discussed in detail in the Kobo Aura One owner thread. Underneath one of my posts
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=220

Just add PeriodicAutoSync=false to the kobo ereader.conf file (in .kobo\kobo) under [ApplicationPreferences]. It does the trick for the draining when in sleeping mode.

The rest... I just changed my One, and up to know see no improvement in the battery drain when in use - but I'll wait till it calibrates (two full discharges/charges). But I regret the screen of the former, which felt whiter. My new one feels to me as it did with one step up in the comfort light.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2016, 08:24 AM   #3
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

a, yes, I had already modified the firmware to add the PeriodicAutoSync=false under the application preferences. Sync is staying off, as is wifi.

What else might someone suggest?
Old 09-09-2016, 01:02 PM   #4
petercreasey
Wizard

Still no clue as to what made my KA1 battery drain overnight.

On the KA1, in the power settings under "Sleepcover" the box was checked to automatically power off and on.

I have now unchecked the box.

Even though I don't have a sleepcover, could this box having a check mark have caused the overnight battery drainage?
Old 09-09-2016, 01:27 PM   #5
gibletpie
Enthusiast
gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Still no clue as to what made my KA1 battery drain overnight.

On the KA1, in the power settings under "Sleepcover" the box was checked to automatically power off and on.

I have now unchecked the box.

Even though I don't have a sleepcover, could this box having a check mark have caused the overnight battery drainage?
I could be completely off base, but my suspicion is that it wasn't actually fully charged in the first place. The battery meter may have registered more power than was really in the battery. Battery may need time to calibrate. Also, the user's guide does state that the initial charge time should be 4 hours. Mine showed as fully charged after an hour, but drained quickly. The second time, I left it charging for 4 hours and it's been wonderful ever since--but I did have the PeriodicAutoSync bug, too, on that first day.
gibletpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2016, 01:29 PM   #6
JoOrwick
Connoisseur
JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 3 (2015)
Quote:
It's definitely possible. There's not much else you can do. Wait for a new firmware update and let the device go through a couple of discharge/charge cycles.

I highly doubt the issue is hardware related. We all know Kobo has great hardware, but they're behind in software.
JoOrwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibletpie View Post
my suspicion is that it wasn't actually fully charged in the first place.
g, thanks for replying!

Initially, I let it charge for probably 3 hours. That should have been sufficient, don't you think?
Old 09-09-2016, 03:16 PM   #8
gibletpie
Enthusiast
gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
g, thanks for replying!

Initially, I let it charge for probably 3 hours. That should have been sufficient, don't you think?
Yeah, I would imagine so....
gibletpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:17 PM   #9
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoOrwick View Post
wait for a new firmware update and let the device go through a couple of discharge/charge cycles.
I highly doubt the issue is hardware related. We all know Kobo has great hardware, but they're behind in software.
Jo, All of that is good to hear.

Like you, my inclination is to NOT give up on the KA1 that I have now. It is doing well (I think?) other than the overnight drain.

Meantime, maybe some other experts here will chime in with remedies.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:23 PM   #10
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
One thing about the Aura One that's different from all other e-readers, it has phenomenal boot time.. My suggestion, until some much needed firmware fixes start appearing, is use the 1 hour power off timer.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:00 PM   #11
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
use the 1 hour power off timer.
r, I don't understand.

I believe mine goes to power saver after 15 minutes so are you saying to do something different? If so, how exactly and why/how will this help?

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2016, 06:07 PM   #12
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Look in your power settings.. First option is "Automatically go to sleep after: " (Default 15 minutes. Second option is "Automatically power off:" (default,) never.

Change power off to something. I think one hour is a good compromise.

The downside to this, after the device has powered off, it has to do a complete startup sequence. On the upside, if there's a runaway process draining battering even when in "sleep".. being powered off will resolve the situation.

If your battery still drains while the power is off, you have a deffective hardware.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:34 PM   #13
petercreasey
Wizard

r, thanks for the good info...I'll try it.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:35 PM   #14
petercreasey
Wizard

I notice under the light setting there is a "bedtime" setting as 11 PM.

If the reader is turned off, what happens with this setting at 11 PM?
Old 09-09-2016, 06:58 PM   #15
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I notice under the light setting there is a "bedtime" setting as 11 PM.

If the reader is turned off, what happens with this setting at 11 PM?
That is for the natural light (if you have it set to auto) to know when to start increasing the redness (it would gradually start making it more red/less blue at some point before your bedtime).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote