Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 05-18-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
Kythe42
Zealot
Kythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Android tablet
Problem with Calibre Companion and Moon + Reader Pro

For the first time I attempted to open a cbz file with Calibre Companion and it doesn't seem to recognize that I have Moon + Reader Pro installed and it won't let me open the book. I've had no problems at all with epub and mobi files. My tablet is an ASUS MeMo Pad 7 inch.
Kythe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Moderator Notice
Moved thread to the Calibre Companion forum.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kythe42 View Post
For the first time I attempted to open a cbz file with Calibre Companion and it doesn't seem to recognize that I have Moon + Reader Pro installed and it won't let me open the book. I've had no problems at all with epub and mobi files. My tablet is an ASUS MeMo Pad 7 inch.
You don't say so I'll ask, exactly what happens?

Did you use CC to get the book from calibre to your device?

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-19-2014 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:01 AM   #4
Kythe42
Zealot
Kythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipse

Yes I was able to get the ebook onto my device using CC to connect to Calibre via a content server.

Part of your sentence is missing so I'm not sure what exactly your first question was, but pretty much what happens is I try to open the cbz book and it tells me that I need to have an app that is capable of reading the book. It also said that I should check the FAQ if I believe I already have an appropriate app installed. The FAQ page provided didn't seem to address this issue at all from what I could see.

Let me know if you need the exact words of the message that comes up. It's very late now but I'll copy the error message in the morning if you need it.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:29 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I can't open a CBZ from a file manager into Moon+ either so I assume it's that Moon+ Pro isn't telling Android that it's able to read that file type. Moon+ Pro of course opens the file type fine if you browse to it from within the app itself.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2014, 12:38 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kythe42 View Post
Part of your sentence is missing so I'm not sure what exactly your first question was, but pretty much what happens is I try to open the cbz book and it tells me that I need to have an app that is capable of reading the book.
It seems that AnemicOak has answered the question.

I would contact Moon+ developer and see if he can have his app advertise via the Android OS that it handles CBZ the same way it advertises epub and mobi.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:47 AM   #7
Kythe42
Zealot

Thanks. I was able to open the book from browsing from withing Moon +. It's just annoying though as it takes longer to find the book that way.

I suppose I could try contacting the developer but I don't feel very confident that the problem will be resolved as I never got a response the last couple of times I tried to contact the developer with issues.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:37 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I took a look at what Moon+ advertises. Turns out that it does advertise CB*, but using an alternate method. CC already uses that alternate method for some other readers such cool reader and mantano. I added Moon+ Pro to that list, and now it accepts requests from CC to open CBZ and CBR formats. This change will be in the next CC release, probably this week.

FWIW: it seems that Moon+ Pro will also accept FB2 and CHM through this second door.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:16 AM   #9
Kythe42
Zealot

Cool thanks a bunch. I'll let you know if there are any problems after the next update.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #10
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
FWIW: it seems that Moon+ Pro will also accept FB2 and CHM through this second door.
CHM?

That's very interesting. I didn't know it could do that. I have a handful of CHM files I will have to try out.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
CHM?

That's very interesting. I didn't know it could do that. I have a handful of CHM files I will have to try out.
I was also surprised to see Microsoft "compiled HTML" help documents are supported. I wonder if some largish customer paid the Moon+ developer to support it?
Old 06-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #12
drmadhupk
Connoisseur
drmadhupk began at the beginning.

Device: android
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I was also surprised to see Microsoft "compiled HTML" help documents are supported. I wonder if some largish customer paid the Moon+ developer to support it?
Moon+ supported chm files since long. But we have to open the app and browse to the chm files to open it. but there are there are some chm reader apps which have android file type mime support for chm files. with them you can directly open chm by clicking in the android file manager.
drmadhupk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #13
drmadhupk
Connoisseur

Hello all,
I installed calibre companion to read all my chm books which I have organized on calibre for pc. I have lots of chm books.
The latest release (22 may) of cc advertises that it supports moon+ reader to read chm files.
I transferred all my chm and pdf books to my android phone without converting using connect feature on calibre.
Cc opens pdf files without any issues (it gives a list of apps installed on my phone to open them). But when I attempt to open chm files directly from cc it shows a dialogue saying that it needs moon+ installed and if already installed to have a look at faq. That faq is of no use in this regard. I already have moon+ reader pro installed on my phone and using it since long.

I also use "CHM Viewer ACHM" to open chm files. This opens chm files directly from android file manager unlike moon+ which needs us to browse to the file through the app to open it.

Please help me open chm files directly from cc either using moon+ or CHM viewer ACHM.

I have mailed the developers several times regarding this but got no response from them.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmadhupk View Post
Hello all,
I installed calibre companion to read all my chm books which I have organized on calibre for pc. I have lots of chm books.
The latest release (22 may) of cc advertises that it supports moon+ reader to read chm files.
I transferred all my chm and pdf books to my android phone without converting using connect feature on calibre.
Cc opens pdf files without any issues (it gives a list of apps installed on my phone to open them). But when I attempt to open chm files directly from cc it shows a dialogue saying that it needs moon+ installed and if already installed to have a look at faq. That faq is of no use in this regard. I already have moon+ reader pro installed on my phone and using it since long.

I also use "CHM Viewer ACHM" to open chm files. This opens chm files directly from android file manager unlike moon+ which needs us to browse to the file through the app to open it.

Please help me open chm files directly from cc either using moon+ or CHM viewer ACHM.

I have mailed the developers several times regarding this but got no response from them.
First, I never received any email from you. Regardless, you are here now, which is better than email.

As I said on your review on Google Play (given that it is discussing the same problem I assume it is you), with Moon+, because I forgot about the free version of moon+, CHM will work only with Moon+ Pro. However, you say above that you have the pro version, which is good. You also said in your original review (that I replied to) that you have cool reader, which also works although it is painfully slow.

CC contains no message "dialogue saying that it needs moon+ installed". Where exactly are you seeing that message?

Regarding your problem, CHM works fine for me with CC3.3.5. See the following screenshots:

1) The book details of the PHP manual in CHM, as demonstrated by the path.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	124442

2) The result of tapping the Read button.

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	124443

3) The manual displaying in Moon+

Name:	Clipboard03.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	124444

Clearly you are doing something different from me.

Questions:
1) What device and android version are you using? Your review says it is a Galaxy Note II (t03g). Is this correct?

2) In CC's book details, do you see ".chm" at the end of the path? It would be helpful if you posted a screen capture like I did.

3) Are you really sure you have moon+ pro? Check in Android settings, apps, app info. You should see something like the following:

Name:	Clipboard04.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	124445

It would be helpful if you send me a CC debug log from the app (Settings, email a debug log to MultiPie). Please post here if you do that, because given that we haven't received any previous emails from you, we might not get this one either.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:59 PM   #15
drmadhupk
Connoisseur

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1403409531525.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	124476