Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2007, 07:09 PM   #1
coleman
Connoisseur
coleman began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablets and phones, Windows tablet, Kobo Aura One
What software

So with my reader ordered, I've decided to get a jump on figuring out what software is most useful to have, as there appear to be many options.

There's an implict "why" in there as well. For instance, my friend that has a Reader was complaining about hard break formatted text files. I ended up writing a script to quickly process these and make them more readable on the Reader.

Now I've started to wonder, is it worth converting a text file to LRF? Is there an advantage, and if so what software should I use?

Given that there's a lot of choices, some guidance would be helpful. I think it's even worth stickying if we can get some good responses, otherwise there seems like there's a certain amount of just getting thrown in the deep end and having to thrash it out yourself.

Anyway, so getting more specific. What software conversion packages are recommended here? For me specifically, I'd say I'm most interested in txt and html to LRF, assuming there's a real advantage to converting to LRF. Next, is there an advantage to LRF?

Oh, I also meant to ask, is there Windows LRF reader(I'm still looking but if someone can point me real quick that would be helpful). It's hard to check my converted files and reformatting script results without being able to open an LRF.

Last edited by coleman; 07-24-2007 at 08:02 PM.
coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Go to the MobileRead Wiki page and there are many, many programs for converting files to LRF.

Given the parameters you have outlined, there are two (2) packages that I can recommend highly. First is the libprs500 package by Kovid Goyal. It has everything you need for the conversion of text and HTML to LRF files in addition to an excellent ebook inventory system. You can also load ebooks directly to the Reader without using Sony's CONNECT software. The second package is BookDesigner by vvv. This is an excellent program for converting from almost any format to almost any other format. It is used by many of the people posting ebooks for download.

I use both.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
coleman
Connoisseur
coleman began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablets and phones, Windows tablet, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Go to the MobileRead Wiki page and there are many, many programs for converting files to LRF.
The fact that there are many many programs though, I feel is problematic in that all it is is a listing. That's not helpful to a person new to this. I think it's worth the effort to provide some "where to start guidance". Otherwise someone has to try out 20 different programs. I think part of increasing viability and acceptance of eBook readers will be to do as much as possible to make them more accessible.

To make an analogy, someone tells you they want to try a soda pop, what would you suggest. Well just saying, "go to a supermarket, there's lots of choices" isn't really helpful. You'd probably say something like, "Well, lots of people like Coke or Pepsi colas, and you might also try Squirt, Mountain Dew, or Sprite, to start with."

I'm not saying I won't try the others, but some guidance at the start can probably be useful.

I'll check out the recommended packages. Thanks!
coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:34 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I second the BookDesigner recommendation, I haven't used libprs500 enough to have an opinion of it. The BookDesigner page in the Wiki links to a tutorial and other resources that ought to help you get started with a minimum of fuss.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:38 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Recommended packages at present are Book Designer and Libprs500 that comes with html2lrf, web2lrf, lit2lrf, txt2lrf, rtf2lrf, & web2disk.

If you do install Libprs500 and want to use Connect as well, then you'll need to go into the system preserences and delete the USB driver libprs500 installs.

Have a look at the threads around here for info on both programs. I'll try to dig up threads with useful info in them for both packages. If anyone else wants to help, feel free.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert