Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-12-2007, 07:44 AM   #1
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Early adopter woes

Oh to be an early adopter. Love my reader, and I enjoy being one of the early few to have one of the newest devices until I see the price drops and offers

As seen on Sony's Website $50 price drop, and $150 in free books <sigh>

Waddaya gonna do

Last edited by DougFNJ; 07-12-2007 at 01:55 PM. Reason: typo
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:53 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You and I have had seven months more use of our Readers than people buying today. Don't know about you, but that's certainly worth a lousy $50 to me. Actually somewhat more than that, since I paid the equivalent of about $620 for my Reader .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2007, 08:11 AM   #3
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
how about the fact that you're stuck with an ancient machine when newer, sleeker, sexier models are coming out with so much more functionality and goodies.

maybe you can comfort yourself, by telling yourself that you are partly responsible that there ARE newer models coming. Because if you haven't bought one, the development might have stopped.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:27 AM   #4
aleks
Connoisseur
aleks doesn't litteraleks doesn't litteraleks doesn't litter

Device: Rocket eBook & Sony Reader
As with a computer buy, you always regret what you bought as something newer and better came out. I finally reached the point where I stoped looking at the post-purchase price of the item I bought so that I would not be so discouraged but to thourghly enjoy using the item.
aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:27 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Personally I'd rather have the pleasure of using a current machine, rather than waiting 6 months for the elusive "next generation". There will always be something better available in the future.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2007, 09:04 AM   #6
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I´m an early adopter when I´m thinking it is worth of it.

For good e-book reader anyway =).
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #7
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Actually the Sony Reader was one of the first readers I was not an early adopter on. I suppose I could say that I was an early adopter in ebook reading however, reading them on my Handspring Visor, my Axim X5, X30i, and X50v.

I am still happy to join the sony reader family
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Personally I'd rather have the pleasure of using a current machine, rather than waiting 6 months for the elusive "next generation". There will always be something better available in the future.
And if you never go for what's available now, then you never get to use any device.

Sure, there are good reasons to hold off if something is imminently expected, but it's not a good life strategy to always wait to see what comes out next.

That's how I see it, anyway.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:07 PM   #9
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

It was just something I noticed at the website. I definitely don't regret purchasing my Reader, I love this thing. I'm not interested in a Next Generation, I have no desire to purchase any other type of Reader available. This is exactly what I wanted and got.

It wasn't just the $50 price drop that bit me a bit, it was that extra $100 credit that got me.....so I figured I'd drop a thread and whine a little
Old 07-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #10
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Have you seen the books available on Sony's Connect site? I don't know about you, but I'd have trouble spending $150 there in the first place. I've been wanting an ebook reader since I heard about eInk. Even though I've hated Sony with a passion in the past, it was definitely the best choice for what I wanted, early or not.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:27 PM   #11
Cpt. Tim
Cpt. Tim began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
yeah. the reader was never an end all be all with me. It was just something to play with until something better came out.

Sony is by far the worst company i've had to deal with, and it was only the lack of competing similarly priced devices that caused me to get one. I know i'll get burned by the DRM when i switch, but i knew that going in.

thats what DRM is for. DRM doesn't prevent pirates from going out and getting what they want, and it prevents legitimate customers from fair use, turns them off to digital media, and cripples the industry.
Cpt. Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:13 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
It wasn't just the $50 price drop that bit me a bit, it was that extra $100 credit that got me.....so I figured I'd drop a thread and whine a little
OH! Well in that case, I think I can help you out a bit with that feeling of bitterness: apparently, the extra $100 credit is limited to books that Connect has downloaded from Project Gutenberg and converted for the Reader. So you can get the same books from PG, Manybooks or, in a lot of cases, here at MR, except that those other sources are lacking the ConnStore's juicy DRM coating.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:21 PM   #13
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
I think enjoying the Reader all that time would have been worth it. I bought mine a month or so ago - when the price dropped $50 - but, frankly, I've enjoyed it so much just in the time I've had it that it would have been well worth it to me to have ordered one right when they came out.

Which is why my iPhone should ship any day now.

It's not like it's a grand piano or something that you're likely to only buy one of your whole life. It's tech. There's always new tech.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:17 AM   #14
BettyE
Connoisseur
BettyE doesn't litterBettyE doesn't litter

Device: Rocket eBook / Sony PRS-500 / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
Oh to be an early adopter. Love my reader, and I enjoy being one of the early few to have one of the newest devices until I see the price drops and offers
Doug - I am sure you knew that would happen, as we all did, and you bought it anyway, accepting that it would happen. At least, you weren't blindsided.

As for me, when I saw the drop, I tried to talk my husband into buying one for him so we can share books in e-book format, but he won't.

Where are you in NJ? I'm in Roseland.

Betty
BettyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:21 AM   #15
DougFNJ
Avid Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyE View Post
Doug - I am sure you knew that would happen, as we all did, and you bought it anyway, accepting that it would happen. At least, you weren't blindsided.

As for me, when I saw the drop, I tried to talk my husband into buying one for him so we can share books in e-book format, but he won't.

Where are you in NJ? I'm in Roseland.

Betty
Oh....I knew it would happen alright, just like I know they will come out with a 2nd gen version with minor updates. The obsessed geek in me will be hypnotically convinced that as satisfied as I am with this one, I will NEED the features of next one. It's a viscious cycle folks....viscious!

I'm from Old Bridge in Middlesex County Betty.