Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-20-2007, 06:22 AM   #61
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PB-IQ / Sony PRS-500
WHO ELSE is waiting for a TigerDirect Sony ?!?

I wrote a first reply to this thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=45)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack:
Just talked with a hot line guy. He told me they are waiting for the Sony Reader units .. they should arrive any day soon (they told me the same on Saturday).
Well, very strange. Thought they were on stock ... the thing is if they refuse to deliver them I can´t do a thing
Hi, everyone waiting for her/his TigerDirect Sony:

ATTENTION: I posted a NEW POST as TigerDirect finally found some Sonys for shipment after all !!!
Can be found here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=87

I justed talked to (one of-?) their Senior Sales Agent, Mr. Polo. He confirms that new sonys are expected this weekend.

(quotation is not absolutely by word, sorry: )
"The problem is, it is not clear whether we will honor the price given to you. [...] ...because there was a pricing mistake. [...] we couldn't do anything with the devices already shipped but are thinking if you will get your ereaders or a refund."

By now I certainly talked to some agent there at least 10 times. I sent 'em about 15 emails. I really don't like the idea that they might get away with this. (someth. different if they had argued like this from the beginning...!) I'll wait till monday at most - then I have some ideas what to do next ...

BUT: there's still hope they will do what's right! Mr. Solo is to email me soooooon ...

Some email addresses for people who want to get information / make their opinion known:

(I just deleted some email addresses here because TigerDirect finally "found" some Sonys for shipment.)

Last edited by Clemenseken; 07-24-2007 at 04:08 AM.
Clemenseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:39 AM   #62
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemenseken View Post
Hi everyone waiting for her/his TigerDirect sony:

I justed talked to (one of-?) their Senior Sales Agent, Mr. Polo. He confirms that new sonys are expected this weekend.

"The problem is, it is not clear whether we will honor the price given to you. [...] ...because there was a pricing mistake. [...] we couldn't do anything with the devices already shipped but are thinking if you will get your ereaders or a refund."

By now I certainly talked to some agent there at least 10 times. I sent 'em about 15 emails. I really don't like the idea that they might get away with this. (someth. different if they had argued like this from the beginning...!)
I'll wait till monday at most - then I have some ideas what to do next ...

BUT: there's still hope they will do what's right! Mr. Solo is to email me soooooon ...
That confirms exactly what I said at the start - that the $99 price was a mistake. A company who puts an incorrect price on a site is under no legal obligation to sell products at that price - I'm pretty sure that's the case in the US as well as the UK. There was a case in the UK recently where a big electrical retailer inadvertantly displayed the price of a £2000 plasma TV on their web site as £200. They were flooded with orders, but didn't supply any TVs at that price because it had been a genuine mistake.

You have to allow for human error.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2007, 06:51 AM   #63
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

In my opinion this does NOT
Quote:
confirm exactly what I said at the start - that the $99 price was a mistake. (HarryT)
ATTENTION: I wrote a NEW POST as TigerDirect finally "found" some Sonys for shipment after all !!!

We have all heard of sonys being sold/given away even for $49...

And even IF IT WAS A MISTAKE TigerDirect should think very thoroughly about its further proceedings:

I personally would see them as a company of honesty if they sticked to their price(s).
But I'd expect at least some "good" new price for us customers - who like me sent them even the money weeks ago, don't you think so?!?

(Added/edited: ) ... and as mentioned before they should have argued like this BEFORE.

N O W it sounds like a very lame duck ...

Last edited by Clemenseken; 07-24-2007 at 04:16 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:22 AM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I sympathise with you, but don't forget that the vast majority of people in this forum bought their Readers at full price (I paid the equivalent of US$620 for mine).

To answer your question, though, if Tiger have already accepted your money and confirmed the order, then yes, I do think that they should honour the agreed price. They are, however, under no legal obligation to do so, I believe.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:16 AM   #65
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I sympathise with you, but don't forget that the vast majority of people in this forum bought their Readers at full price (I paid the equivalent of US$620 for mine).

To answer your question, though, if Tiger have already accepted your money and confirmed the order, then yes, I do think that they should honour the agreed price. They are, however, under no legal obligation to do so, I believe.
I would think as well that if they took your money, they have to give it to you for the price they posted it as. It's not your fault it was an error...... Guess they should have checked what they placed on the sight for sale beforehand. Good PR would be take the loss and sell it as it was...... stuff in the stores if mismarked has to go by that price....... this should not be any different IMO.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2007, 09:23 AM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings View Post
stuff in the stores if mismarked has to go by that price.......
Are you certain of that?

In the UK, when you buy something in a store, you are, legally speaking, making the store an offer of money for the goods, which they are free to accept or decline as they wish. If a £1000 computer is mis-priced as £10, they are under no obligation to accept your offer of £10 for it.

Are stores in the US really legally obliged to sell goods at a mis-marked price?
Old 07-20-2007, 09:29 AM   #67
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Are you certain of that?

In the UK, when you buy something in a store, you are, legally speaking, making the store an offer of money for the goods, which they are free to accept or decline as they wish. If a £1000 computer is mis-priced as £10, they are under no obligation to accept your offer of £10 for it.

Are stores in the US really legally obliged to sell goods at a mis-marked price?
Yes, actually that is pretty much true........ if something is mismarked or if it has two price tags on it, they have to sell it for the lower amount. A few months ago we have stores out here called COSTCO, like a big wharehouse thing and prices are usually cheaper, well I buy our steaks there (rib eyes) and a bulk pack of three can usually run around $30 or so, give or take, depending upon how thick they are, well I went in there one day and they were mismarked, and I mean they were cheap........ I took as many packs as I could and knew that would wrap and go in the freezer..... I didn't inform anybody, but I am sure they caught on and they would have taken what was left and repackage them....... But yes, stores here usually abide by what the price is of something if they made a mistake.... Many of them here will also if within a few weeks of purchase and they decided to put item on sale, you take in your receipt and they will give you the dfference and the sale price.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:54 AM   #68
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
A sales slip and a payment together are as good as contract and they are required to hono(u)r it.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:33 AM   #69
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
No. There is no law requiring the retailer to honor a price mistake. If anyone thinks I'm wrong, cite the law.

Quote:
Are you certain of that?

Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:40 AM   #70
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I wrote a first reply to this thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=45)

Hi, everyone waiting for her/his TigerDirect Sony:

By now I certainly talked to some agent there at least 10 times. I sent 'em about 15 emails. I really don't like the idea that they might get away with this. (someth. different if they had argued like this from the beginning...!) I'll wait till monday at most - then I have some ideas what to do next ...

Some email addresses for people who want to get information / make their opinion known:

Edgar.Solo@TigerDirect.com (Senior Sales Agent)
Carl.Fiorentino@TigerDirect.com (President of TigerDirect)
iodo@help.tigerdirect.com (Help Staff)
You are being lied to. Do not in any acquiesce or accept any of their statements. They are trying to BS you into agreeing to cancel your order. Do not back down.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:42 AM   #71
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
We have all heard of sonys being sold/given away even for $49....
Well, that's a bit different, though. Because there's a credit card and 'rewards' program attached to it, the credit card company is, presumably, picking up some, if not most, of the price on it. I don't know that we can reliably conclude anything useful about costs or pricing from that particular scenario.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:04 PM   #72
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Is the problem delivery of TigerDirect readers directly related to people not in U.S.? Because I got my $99 Reader from them four days after I ordered.

As for a law regarding prices, I don't know if it's LAW but I do know that most stores here in Colorado honor the lower price even if it's a mistake.

I know this personally because when I was in college I was a "Universal Product Code" specialist at a superstore. I basically just scooted around with a portable price sticker printer and a laser gun thingy and I put the UPC prices on products. I made a mistake and put a low price on an item and my manager wasn't pleased at all.

We had to honor the incorrect sticker price and he went to great lengths to make me understand that this was not the ideal way for me to move up in the organization.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:45 AM   #73
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I was under the impression that it was a 4th of July special that was ran and limited to 1,000 units. When did this turn into a possible pricing error? I received mine quite promptly after placing my order (as well as several people in this forum). Perhaps their system didn't shut off orders after the thousand units sold, but I'm not sure about the whole pricing error. I've read the posts toward the end of this thread, though I'm not sure why Tiger would be trying to pull out after so many units have already been shipped/received.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 05:13 AM   #74
Clemenseken
eWriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
You are being lied to. Do not in any acquiesce or accept any of their statements. They are trying to BS you into agreeing to cancel your order. Do not back down.
Nate the great:
your reply gives me some hope to not let it slip away. thanks!
(sorry - what's the literal meaning of BS?)

Azayzel:
hmmmmmm.
my order was received at 5:06:00 AM local time Florida. that's quite early in the morning actually.
MY disadvantage was that I had to wire-transfer the money - which takes 3 to 7 days I heard.

they might have had second thoughts.
What I do NOT think (because it's too "bad"!) is: let people transfer money. THEN tell them you want some more... SOME may send it. (no. that would be really mean. no.)

ATTENTION: I wrote a NEW POST as TigerDirect finally "found" some Sonys for shipment after all !!!

Last edited by Clemenseken; 07-24-2007 at 04:17 AM.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:43 AM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If your credit card was charged the $99 then I think TigerDirect should honor that price. But if it genuinely was a mistake and you've not been charged, then they can say no. But it really is unfair since some people did get readers at that price.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote