Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-30-2007, 03:25 AM   #1
claudioita
claudioita began at the beginning.

Sony reader for PDF files: pages as images

Hi,

Wanted to buy the reader. I have many PDF files which are truly ONLY images (scans of the original book).

The format varies from "regular book" size to "A4" size (and/or US "Letter" size).

How does the Sony reader handle these files?
I am sure the quality will not be as good as a normal PDF file.

Will the Sony be still a good device to read those files?
WIll it scale the image to the 6 inch screen?
Or will I have to pan/scroll the image many times through the book, to see a single page?
How is the response time (for pan/scroll/next page) for those type of PDF? Slow/Fast/Acceptable?

P.S. Have any of you used OneNote 2007. Especially the OCR inside images feature. Fantastic!! That is something I would appreciate from a reader

Last edited by claudioita; 07-30-2007 at 03:30 AM.
claudioita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:11 AM   #2
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
This might be helpful

http://hightech.afmag.net/pdf-and-the-sony-reader.html
http://hightech.afmag.net/the-sony-r...fs-part-2.html

You have to decide for yourself, as some says it's not acceptable, while for me, an A4-PDF converted to LRF-format is very readable.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:59 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Reader scales the page to its screen size. Not good for reading A4/Letter size pages! There are tools available which will, for example, "chop up" each page into a number of small pages. They may or may not work well, depending on the layout of the book. It can work well if, for example, it's a textbook with two columns per page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If the PDF is just text, I can load it into Book Designer, load up the PDF in Acrobat Reader and check for any lost attributes and manually put them back. It's a lot better read in the end then just chopping it up. and if there are graphics I need, I can screen grab them and cut them out and use them that way if possible.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote