Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
20LEgend
Connoisseur
20LEgend began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Nexus 7 to kindle

Is it possible to connect nexus 7 to kindle keyboard via USB. I have the correct lead but wanted to check if it's safe or if nexus will see kindle contents.
20LEgend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
keeska
Connoisseur
keeska has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony T1, Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD, Samsung Note 3
Won't do much

Connecting a Nexus 7 to a Kindle will not do much, if anything. Even if it did you would not be able to use most of the kindle content on the Nexus 7 due to copy protection (DRM).

If you want your kindle content on the Nexus 7 install the Kindle app from the Google Play store on the Nexus 7 and get the Books, etc. from your library using the Kindle app.

I wouldn't bother trying it.

kees
keeska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Probably pointless as Google locks down the supposedly open Nexus devices so they can't see other storage options, Google's on a crusade to sell cloud storage hence the removal of basics like Micro SD cards, USB Mass Storage and USB OTG. Unfortunately that and their similar crusade to make everything into a Google + feature is really starting to put me off the company.

I believe there is a workaround called Nexus Media importer or something similar but it's an app you need to pay for and results can't be guaranteed.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:29 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Probably pointless as Google locks down the supposedly open Nexus devices so they can't see other storage options,
That's true, but you can see the storage if you connect the Nexus to a PC (and presumably a Mac). In that case, it behaves like an external drive, letting you see the files and folders, and transfer files.

But connecting a Nexus to Kindle won't do that. You would have to use a PC as an intermediary.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
20LEgend
Connoisseur

Thank you, guys, all very helpful.
I agree with you, Teknikal, Google are becoming as anal as Apple and rather than cornering the market I think they will end up losing out as other friendlier tech comes out.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend View Post
Google are becoming as anal as Apple
I don't usually defend Google, but they are much more open than Apple. The very fact that you can see the files and folder on your Nexus demonstrates that. There's no chance of doing that with an iPod or iPad.

I was thinking of buying an iPad recently. One of the first things the salesman said to me was that the latest model had a new connector. I immediately thought proprietary connector, and that reminded me of all the problems I'd had with my iPod - like not being able to get a reasonably-priced microphone for it, thanks to being locked into the Apple store.

For now, Google is definitely an improvement on Apple. Of course, that might change.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:26 AM   #7
20LEgend
Connoisseur

You're right of course, Mike, it wasn't the best analogy on my part.