Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
JoshLessard
Enthusiast
JoshLessard began at the beginning.

Device: Nook or Kindle 3???
Reading Kindle books on Nook?

Does anybody know if I can buy books from the Kindle store and use Calibre to convert them to ePub for the Nook? I have not purchased anything from the Kindle store so I don't know about DRM and formatting, etc.

Thanks.
JoshLessard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
Miss Understood
Enthusiast
Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nook, Sony PRS-350 (pink!); IPad2
As I understand it, the only way to do that is to remove the DRM and convert it, but I believe that is not very legal.
Miss Understood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Understood View Post
As I understand it, the only way to do that is to remove the DRM and convert it, but I believe that is not very legal.
Not *legal*, but quite FUN!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Does it depend on the book? Because I have a few kindle books that I converted with calibre and uploaded them to my Nook. I didn't have to remove any drm.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #5
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
If the Kindle book information says:

Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited

then it doesn't have DRM.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
dharh
dharh began at the beginning.

Device: nook,ipad,netbook
http://thenextweb.com/us/2010/07/26/...gal-sometimes/

I've always considered breaking DRM (for personal use ONLY) as fair use and it seems the courts (and thus the law) may finally be catching up this widely held view.
dharh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:35 AM   #7
Starearedkid
Starearedkid is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
I wish it was legal, because with the two formats floating around, I hate, being tied to one machine--and I really hate being in the middle of a format war
Starearedkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:47 AM   #8
sweevo
Groupie
sweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle Touch
Didn't a recent court ruling clarify that it is legal to circumvent DRM for format shifting?
sweevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:08 AM   #9
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
Does it depend on the book? Because I have a few kindle books that I converted with calibre and uploaded them to my Nook. I didn't have to remove any drm.
They were probably DRM-free already.

Calibre doesn't allow you to convert DRMed ebooks. In fact, I'm not sure if it can even read DRM, at all.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
kmack
kmack has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, EBW-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweevo View Post
Didn't a recent court ruling clarify that it is legal to circumvent DRM for format shifting?
I'd say it's still unclear, there is some indication that it may not violate portions of the Digital Millennium Copyright act if DRM is circumvented on files you have purchased to be used on other devices (Fair Use).

That being said, if I had purchased books from one vendor and wished to read them on a different vendors hardware I would have no reservation about circumventing DRM to do so.

In answer to the OP's question, yes, it is possible to read books purchased at the Kindle store on other devices. The process to strip DRM of Kindle books is not that difficult and the software needed is still available (Just don't ask me where, you have to do that research yourself). Once you have stripped the DRM you can use Calibre to format the book for the Nook.

In any case making copies and giving them to friends or providing them for download would be illegal.
kmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
They were probably DRM-free already.

Calibre doesn't allow you to convert DRMed ebooks. In fact, I'm not sure if it can even read DRM, at all.
I looked and I actually only converted 2 kindle books to epub. I guess it must have been luck. When I go to the actual kindle files they have locks next to the blue books, I assumed that meant they were DRM. I can read them because I have kindle for pc and mobipocket for my phone.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
It depends on the book. If it is a free classic, they might not have been DRMed.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:33 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
You have to run them through certain programs before converting to epub using Calibre. We can't say the names of the programs, nor how to use them, but they're always locatable by going to a blog that contains the words 'Dark' and 'Reverser'. These work fine for most Kindle books. Of course, you'll have to have Kindle for PC or Kindle for iPhone installed - I recommend having Kindle for PC.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #14
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Kindle for PC is the easiest version to start from. There are actually two methods to strip K4PC AZW DRM, unswindle is the easiest to use but is more likely to break when Amazon updates K4PC than the alternative skindle executable.

Note that a minority of Kindle ebooks are in the TOPAZ format rather than AZW. AZW is essentially MOBI, and so is easy to handle once DRM-free. TOPAZ DRM can be circumvented, but once DRM-free it is harder to shift into a usable format such as ePub.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:54 PM   #15
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweevo View Post
No. There has been no such court ruling. And there's nothing to clarify.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote