Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-14-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Yeah it happens. But why?

Positech Games, a one-man computer games company, has started a dialogue with game pirates. The company asked pirates to tell him why they pirate his games. You can read the response to that question here.

I'm wondering if it would be interesting & useful to look at the reasons for why people pirate books?
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:47 AM   #2
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Interesting read.

"I got a few people, maybe 5% of the total, who basically said "I do it because I like free stuff and won't get caught. I'd do the same with anything if I knew I'd get away with it."

5% of total - the moral crusaders can breathe easy once more. I don't think this number has changed significantly in all of history.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
that is a really interesting article. it's nice to see someone take that approach and enter into a reasonable discussion, keeping an open mind and truly listening to the answers (it seems rare !). i particularly found this part astonishing :
"I've gone from being demoralized by pirates to actually inspired by them"
and i'm very impressed by his willingness to adapt new models which take into account the desires of his customers.

i would be very interested to see a similar survey conducted about ebook piracy but apart from the completely game-specific points (of which there are few) i would not be surprised if the answers turned out to be the same. overall, despite his conclusion that while he would adapt in light of the responses he doubted this would have any impact on the larger game industry, i honestly found the article to be encouraging, because it shows above all that the vast majority of copyright infringers have reasons which they consider compelling but which can be addressed and resolved (by game companies, or by publishers...) and if these reasons are addressed they would happily pay for their games (/ebooks...).

thanks for the link ; really interesting reading.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
What I found interesting -- and relevant to books -- was this:

Quote:
DRM

This was expected, but whereas many pirates who debate the issue online are often abusive and aggressive on the topic, most of the DRM complaints were reasonable and well put. People don't like DRM, we knew that, but the extent to which DRM is turning away people who have no other complaints is possibly misunderstood. If you wanted to change ONE thing to get more pirates to buy games, scrapping DRM is it. These gamers are the low hanging fruit of this whole debate.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Interesting read.

"I got a few people, maybe 5% of the total, who basically said "I do it because I like free stuff and won't get caught. I'd do the same with anything if I knew I'd get away with it."

5% of total - the moral crusaders can breathe easy once more. I don't think this number has changed significantly in all of history.
IMO, that's the 5% who are honest and don't try to pretty up with justifications. I do also believe a lot of the people who cite cost but I think a lot of the ideologues on the subject really just want free stuff but want to tell a nicer story about themselves.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
jakewastaken
Media Whore.
jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Nice link, thanks for sharing.
jakewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:06 AM   #7
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Yeah, I was quite impressed with this guys response too. It will be interesting to see where he's at say a year from now. To see if his planned measures will actually increase sales. And to see if he's still inspired....

I must admit for me convenience is a major issue. I'm breathlessly awaiting the release of Spore and I'm sooooo happy EA is offering the game as a download. I'm not happy with the price point (same as boxed version), but oh well I'll put up with it.

Background: I like free stuff and am lazy. Also, often the things I want can't be delivered legally. So I tend to freeload a tad.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote