Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #316
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
That's just rounding error. I think we'll find that the screen is actually more like 7.85", and the ppi are the same.
7.853", to be specific, as I posted earlier on. :P
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #317
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
I just purchased the last Asus Vivo Tab/Windows RT today at BB Boise.. WOW.. just got it unwrapped and charging, but I'm impressed.. Old Windows guy here, and currently hooked on Apple.. but.. we shall see.. I should change my name to Mr. Switching..
Doug
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #318
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Apple=All fur coat and no knickers in terms of tech....looks expensive but cheap and nasty under the hood!
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:02 AM   #319
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Amazon's comparison

JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:07 AM   #320
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
I just purchased the last Asus Vivo Tab/Windows RT today at BB Boise.. WOW.. just got it unwrapped and charging, but I'm impressed.. Old Windows guy here, and currently hooked on Apple.. but.. we shall see.. I should change my name to Mr. Switching..
Doug
Sounds exciting, a totally new toy. Well, thanks for keeping the economy moving -- hope you will tell us more about it in a few days.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 05:39 AM   #321
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
I should change my name to Mr. Switching..
Doug
Mr. Moneybags
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:54 AM   #322
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Amazon's comparison

Last edited by 300com; 10-29-2012 at 05:56 AM.
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:08 AM   #323
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

media appliance vs computing appliance makes me smile.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #324
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
media appliance vs computing appliance makes me smile.
Yes, that sounds like a real marketing con job

And the "handful of tablet apps" is another great zinger! Not to forget the "little or no international content".

Ah, marketing speak, how did we miss you! Just like the great debates, make up some false numbers. You make your point and almost nobody bothers to look it up later.

Last edited by HansTWN; 10-29-2012 at 06:32 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:30 AM   #325
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Cellular option: $459
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #326
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Apple sells out of all mini-pad models.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/...pans-its-price
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #327
wizwor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Cellular option: $459
well, to be fair, I would probably have upgraded to the Fire HD if the 7" model had the cell option. I'd like that but not the 9" device. That said, the mini is too big for me at 8" so that wasn't going to be a game changer for me. I expect cell radios to find their way into the smaller models. I mean, when does the Fire morph into a phone? Seems inevitable...need more coffee...
Old 10-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #328
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Apple sells out of all mini-pad models.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/...pans-its-price
Is anybody surprised?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #329
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Is anybody surprised?
Not a bit. Apple isn't competing in the generic 7" tablet for running phone apps market. Google, Samsung, Amazon and the gazillion of chineese knock offs can fight to see who can offer products at cost the longest.

Apple has produced an iPad mini. A device that can run all 270,000 made for iPad apps, in a smaller, lighter, cheaper form factor.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #330
wizwor
Wizard

Quote:
Also unknown are how many iPad mini units Apple will be able to build ahead of Friday's launch. But whatever inventory the company will have via its online store has now been sold entirely.
It's be interesting to know exactly how many units were sold and to whom.