Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My favorite authors make more from me now

I have one whole wall of my living room covered in books. And I read voraciously.

So I should be a good moneymaking customer for the authors I choose. Sadly only about 5-10% of the books on my shelves were purchased new. Most were picked up at used book stores, flea markets and garage sales.

I would like my favorite authors to make more money, but the financial reality with the amount of books I read is if I have a choice between a a $3-$5 version to read instead of a $10 to $25 version, I will choose the lesser one.

I'm sure many people are like me. And the authors make nothing on the purchase I made.

But ebooks give me another opportunity to reward my favorite authors.

There won't be used versions in the bookstores and they can bring back the hard to find out of print books. And the costs will eventually be less if the publishing companies learn to adapt to the marketplace. If not, there are a ton of great new authors publishing independently at good prices for me to try out. And many established authors are publishing their back lists themselves and earning a higher income from each sale.

So lower cost per book for me and higher profits for authors.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
I have one whole wall of my living room covered in books. And I read voraciously.

So I should be a good moneymaking customer for the authors I choose. Sadly only about 5-10% of the books on my shelves were purchased new. Most were picked up at used book stores, flea markets and garage sales.

I would like my favorite authors to make more money, but the financial reality with the amount of books I read is if I have a choice between a a $3-$5 version to read instead of a $10 to $25 version, I will choose the lesser one.

I'm sure many people are like me. And the authors make nothing on the purchase I made.

There won't be used versions in the bookstores and they can bring back the hard to find out of print books. And the costs will eventually be less if the publishing companies learn to adapt to the marketplace. If not, there are a ton of great new authors publishing independently at good prices for me to try out. And many established authors are publishing their back lists themselves and earning a higher income from each sale.

I agree and have thought of this, myself and felt a little guilty about some of my used purchases. I just noticed that the Suzanne Collins "Hunger Games" books are $5 for the Kindle edition on Amazon. That is a good deal for Kindle-folks and Ms. Collins, an excellent YA author, will presumably get some money from those sales. She wouldn't from someone selling a used dead-tree copy.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I also feel bad that authors I truly love the work of don't get paid on my used "dead-tree" purchases.

I tend to find authors after their books have been out a while so there are plenty of used versions of their books.

For example, I own 15 Elizabeth Moon books but only 2 are new. I own 18 Lois McMaster Bujold books, but only 7 new (she has done a little better on me than Moon)

Some older authors, almost 100% of my copies may be used.

I notice Baen Books has many ebooks for Elizabeth Moon at $4 to $6 each. At that price (similar to the price used versions), I could afford to pick up ebook versions as well of the books I love - and the author would receive income. Especially since some are omnibus editions - 2 or more books in one.

An affordable way to build my digital library.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Yes, I also feel bad that authors I truly love the work of don't get paid on my used "dead-tree" purchases.

I tend to find authors after their books have been out a while so there are plenty of used versions of their books.

For example, I own 15 Elizabeth Moon books but only 2 are new. I own 18 Lois McMaster Bujold books, but only 7 new (she has done a little better on me than Moon)

I notice Baen Books has many ebooks for Elizabeth Moon at $4 to $6 each. At that price (similar to the price used versions), I could afford to pick up ebook versions as well of the books I love - and the author would receive income. Especially since some are omnibus editions - 2 or more books in one.

Yeah, I had actually bought Moon's Paks books new, albeit in mass market paperback, many, many years ago. The fact that the first three Paks books together are $6 at Baen makes me think I may revisit them, especially since there are sequels I have't read yet, apparently. My little paperbacks of them have long since gone the way of all flesh.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker

Kudos to Baen Books for their approach to ereading. Making great authors available at an affordable price.
Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Yeah, I had actually bought Moon's Paks books new, albeit in mass market paperback, many, many years ago. The fact that the first three Paks books together are $6 at Baen makes me think I may revisit them, especially since there are sequels I have't read yet, apparently. My little paperbacks of them have long since gone the way of all flesh.
Yes, and they're wonderful re-reads. I found I enjoyed them even more than the first time (which was a long time ago, in hardback for the last one.)

Quote:
Kudos to Baen Books for their approach to ereading. Making great authors available at an affordable price.
And without DRM, in a multitude of formats. Plus the Free Library. It's actually made me try books I would never have bought, only to discover a wonderful new series. (The 1632 books which were not at all what I expected from the covers in the store!)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #7
pricecw
Zealot
pricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheese

Device: enTourage eDGe
Baen is an excellent example of how to do it in my opinion. I have a friend who loves the Paks books, she pointed me to them, and I found the first on the free library, and had purchased the rest before I was through the free one.

So, that free book made both the author and Baen money, but I other authors I have loved to read in the past, I am not supporting do to the way they treat me as a customer. Funny how that works.

--Carl
pricecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #8
CHunter_Author
Zealot
CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:

Yeah, as long as the price is reasonable, it is a win-win for customers and writers alike. I have purchased more e-books in a year than physical books in a lifetime. And the diversity is awesome. There's a lot of talent out there with an opportunity to come forward now. Very exciting times.
CHunter_Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #9
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Quote:

Yep! Absolutely.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:49 AM   #10
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Keep in mind there is some trickle effect. It's been shown to be true in the video game market.

People buy games knowing they can resell / trade in later. They tend to use some of that money for buying new games. This has shown to trickle more money into the game market - indirectly. It also makes people more willing to try a new product...because they can get some money back if it sucks or they finish it.

I'm sure the same thing would apply to some extent with used book sales as well.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #11
cgk
Enthusiast
cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite Signature
Quote:
Keep in mind there is some trickle effect. It's been shown to be true in the video game market.

People buy games knowing they can resell / trade in later. They tend to use some of that money for buying new games. This has shown to trickle more money into the game market - indirectly. It also makes people more willing to try a new product...because they can get some money back if it sucks or they finish it.

I'm sure the same thing would apply to some extent with used book sales as well.
*But* for multi-player games, absolutely nothing is paid towards the cost of the infrastructure if you buy them second-hand. Which is why more and more companies are looking at ways to lock out second hand games.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
Deneb
Groupie
Deneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it is

Device: Cybook
I'm all for the Tip Jar Or, if an author doesn't want to be "tipped", let's call it an Appreciation Jar..

"You loved the book but bought it used, read it from the library, from a friend, can't afford a new copy?...Show the author your appreciation on his site with what he/she would have received if you had bought an new copy (2 or 3 $ or euro or whatever I believe) or more as you wish!!!".

It could mean something...The message could be at the beginning of each book and ebook with the author web site.
Could be fun, we could see if the editor are really for the protection of authors rights...
Even the pirates would respect that message!

And it's not the "come back to pay later" thing. I don't go back to pay a book, it doesn't mean I didn't like it, just that I completly forgot by the time I actually read it. But I do go to the author's site I like sometimes and would give directly money for books I liked but didn't pay or bought used.
Deneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #13
Mike Cooley
Mike
Mike Cooley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Cooley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Cooley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Cooley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Cooley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Cooley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Cooley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Cooley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Cooley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Cooley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Cooley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have Stephen King DTBs I've bought but not read because they
weigh 10 pounds. So I bought them again on eBook so I can lift them.

Maybe it's just me?

--Mike

Last edited by Mike Cooley; 04-12-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Mike Cooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #14
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:

All of LMB's books except for Memory and Cryoburn are available, legitimately, for *free* on the CD released with Cryoburn.

In multiple formats and without DRM.

Ah, yes, Baen knows ebooks!
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #15
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker

I may "rebuy" some of my reference books as ebooks as well. I have a great book that teaches me how to use my Canon T1i DSLR camera.

Problem is, when I am out in nature I don't want to carry the book with me. But if it is on my iPhone it may get more use. I think I will also get my camera manuals in that format as well.

Tags
authors, ebooks