Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you think of the current MobileRead Logo
I love it, it must never be changed, my personal world would fall off its axis! 1 1.08%
It's fine the way it is. 8 8.60%
I'd kinda like to see something else. 72 77.42%
I hate it as I hate roaches, as I loathe the scum growing inside disused toilets, as .... 7 7.53%
*I* would like to design a new one! I'll attach it below when I get something! 5 5.38%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2007, 10:58 AM   #181
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
yvan, your avatar has a mistake on it that really should be fixed. We are not a blog. We are a forum. So where it says a blog about... should say a forum about...
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:35 AM   #182
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
yvan, your avatar has a mistake on it that really should be fixed. We are not a blog. We are a forum. So where it says a blog about... should say a forum about...
Noted. I think its been discussed before.
There was also a discussion on text being too small to read on such a logo, that's clearly not the case. Well at least you've managed to read it but the size of characters will have to be bumped up, that's for sure, and maybe moved a little to the right. Its was just a basic idea.

Speaking of which, that transparent reader could be constructed with technology existing today. Remember that thread on transparent batteries? The other one on flexible circuits? Buttons can be replaced by a touchscreen, which is transparent.

I meant this logo to bring us in the future of devices but this one, with clever solutions could be manufactured... next year... if someone was up to it that is.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:56 AM   #183
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yep, it's kinda tough to categorize us, isn't it? Part forum, part community, part resource, part blog... Certainly the points that have been made about wanting to nail down what we are and what we want the logo to represent are heard. The problem right now is that we neither have "good" answers, or the opportunity to focus on that at the moment. I suppose we're guilty of laying back to see what all you creative folks come up with, and I'd say it's pretty impressive. It will definitely shape our thoughts.

I think, personally, that the whole transparent or abstract reading thing is pretty cool. I like to think that we will progress with devices until they are form factors (or [I]non[I]-form factors like holographs!) that we wouldn't even recognize now.

For myself, I don't think I'm comfortable with that much "hand" in the logo. I like an abstract hand better. But the concept is nice, and some of the others are very intriguing also.

While it sounds like a cop out, I think we want to present several things (not that we have come up with a "real" list by the editors, but just my off-the-top-of-my-head):
* A simple and memorable logo that is easily recognizable and pleasant to see all the time.
* Something that reminds one of mobile reading, but is abstract enough that it can represent all kinds of present and future types of devices
* Something that has a wireless or electronic or handheld flavor to it, even if just slightly implied or included. Our roots include a lot of computer/handheld topics, and many of our readers and staff still have those interests. I'd like it to appeal to more than just hard core reading folks.

In general, logos need to be "catchy". Whether it's text based like Google or FedEx, or whether it's completely abstract like the Red Cross logo. Or mixed like BMW. The whole point is to associate the logo with the actual site, and to feel good about it. After it grows on you, it should have that nice feeling like when you come home from a trip and see your living room again!

The funny thing about logos is that they are like art -- there is both a first impression and a lasting impression after it's viewed many times in many situations. The "nicest looking" is not always best. And some of the least popular at first glance can turn out to be excellent over time. The other odd thing is that the technique and execution of the actual finished version is so important that sometimes it's also hard to see from a mock up how well it will turn out.

And probably the toughest thing of all is trying to get a handle on a unique way of communicating a concept in the right way with only a suggestion, which is generally what a logo is.

Again, this is not meant to speak for the others, because we haven't worked it out on our side yet, but wanted to provide a little input because the member input has been pretty spectacular and the whole topic is definitely something we are as interested in resolving as you are. A really good logo would be something we can enjoy for a long time, but the last thing we want to do is grab onto something just because it's "better" (almost anything is better than the current one, I suppose!)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:14 AM   #184
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Good summation, Bob... and I know that's pretty much the way I was thinking of it.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:16 AM   #185
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Does this have anything to do with garden gnomes???
I do occasionally blog here. I can't help myself. Is a garden gnome a Chinese lawn jockey?

Who can create a logo that can depict our theme with the fewest lines?
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:33 AM   #186
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Speaking of which, that transparent reader could be constructed with technology existing today. Remember that thread on transparent batteries? The other one on flexible circuits? Buttons can be replaced by a touchscreen, which is transparent.
In fact, LCD screens have always been built upon transparent films (activating the element makes it opaque). Generally, the manufacturer puts a light background behind them to make them readable. But if you look around, you can find things like digital LCD clocks that are "see-through," ie, with no background layer behind them.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:29 AM   #187
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Everyone - your call for a new logo was too loud to be ignored.

So here we go... we just launched a logo contest:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17156
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote