Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
A wild idea - Wikipedia'ing your books/worlds

Ok, I've been mulling over this idea a little bit, so I thought to ask and see what you guys thought about this. Wikipedia is very obviously one of the largest repositories of information on the internet. I think therefore it would be neat as an author to take unique elements from your books and include those as items as unique entries in Wikipedia. For example with me, I could explain my world, who the nine ancient races are, Earthfleet, the Society, etc. as well as the technologies.

For example, using myself as a model, I could add an entry explaining what my coaxial FTL drive technology I use in my books is, a breakdown of the races in the book, or something else like that.

Have any of you guys considered something like this? And if so, how much would you put up on Wikipedia?
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Just so you know, Wikipedia frowns on people creating or editing entries about themselves and their works.

Sure, you could get around it by doing stuff anonymously or getting your friends to enter it for you, but it's likely to get deleted as non-encyclopaedic if you keep it on small separate pages, or bannable astroturfing if you incorporate it into the regular subject articles.

I suggest using the Wikia service instead, which is meant for these sorts of fan-type fictional world-building entries.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 04:10 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This sounds like suspiciously like spamming to me. Wikipedia isn't there as a free advertising service .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:54 AM   #4
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Maybe you could make, or have someone make, a page with your name and a short bio, a short summary of what you write, then a link to your own site. I don't see how anyone could have a problem with that, and people can still search Wikipedia for your stuff.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I'm not trying to spam or astroturf by any means, but I've seen entries in there from other authors about their worlds, so I figured it might not be a bad idea. But if the idea is generally looked down up, then I won't bother. Of course, then I'd ask, if that's true, why are there entries in there about other authors and book series, like Discworld, Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card and Terry Pratchet, as well as numerous other authors as well?

Just seeing those entries tells me that it is allowed. However, given that some stuff is lumped together, I almost think they'd want you to lump everything together at first, and then when and if the situation requires it, break out certain parts into stubs or separate articles. At least that's what I'm gathering by reading wikipedia. Now if what you said is true that this kind of thing *is* banned, then I can only account for their entires being in there due to sheer raw popularity, and only because they were entered by fans of the said authors and/or books.

And again, I'm not thinking of advertising or astroturfing here. I'm merely looking to follow in the footsteps of other authors who have put themselves and their works up onto wikipedia. Of course, if they got put there by fans, then I guess I'll just have to wait until I get popular enough to warrant a wikipedia entry. ^_^
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Here are the guidlines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ty_%28books%29

That being said, if you removed all articles on characters from SF novels, movies, and TV series and video games, comics, manga, and anime, the entirety of Wikipedia could fit on a standard 1.44" floppy (true fact!)

I have heard it stated before, Wikipedia's entry on Optimus Prime is longer than it's entry on Prime Numbers.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #7
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Well, I'm not trying to spam or astroturf by any means, but I've seen entries in there from other authors about their worlds, so I figured it might not be a bad idea. But if the idea is generally looked down up, then I won't bother. Of course, then I'd ask, if that's true, why are there entries in there about other authors and book series, like Discworld, Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card and Terry Pratchet, as well as numerous other authors as well?
Such entries are generally there because a lot of people searched Wikipedia for those particular authors, and information about their stories, and someone eventually decided to make an entry. In some cases, the authors themselves have clarified points raised by others within the context of Wikipedia articles, or added information where it seemed appropriate and relevant.

I would be very surprised to find an entry about myself on Wikipedia! I wouldn't object (as long as the entry was both accurate and honest), but it wouldn't be my place to decide my own significance, if you see what I mean. The same logic extends to any other author; if enough folks think you need an article, you will wind up with one.

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
I'm doing something like that for my own created world, but I'm using my own tikiwiki installation.

Most private hosts use cpanel and components of that let you install tikiwiki (and 30+ other open source software packages) quickly and easily.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Now if what you said is true that this kind of thing *is* banned, then I can only account for their entires being in there due to sheer raw popularity, and only because they were entered by fans of the said authors and/or books.
That's exactly what happened.

Fans of the works put up entries themselves, and the mass of such was that those articles were allowed to remain, but if, and only if they a) met the "notability" requirements: e.g., this is a very well-known and culturally significant work within its field and/or by a creator who is the same and b) met the "encyclopaedic" requirements: having external sources and citations thereof, such as episode guides having behind-the-scenes/making-of info based on interviews with the writers/directors/actors, etc.

And a lot of stuff does get deleted, or at best, consolidated, for failing to meet those requirements.

Once they turfed the lot of I think it was individual Simpsons episodes articles for failing to meet said guidelines, and added them back later after they'd been significantly expanded with plenty of info beyond just the bare plot summaries. And I know they got rid of all the similar Batman: The Animated Series epguides at one point, because they did it just when I wanted to look something up.

At no time did the authors or anyone known to be working in any capacity with them create or edit stuff themselves.

There's actually some sort of guideline against public figures who have entries about them editing said entries. I think it was invoked yet again in the latest round of that guy who founded Wikipedia v. the rest of the Wiki- community.

Conversely, there've been a few cases where people having vested interest in editing entries to suit themselves were discovered and roundly mocked.

Fairly recently some members of the UK government were found to have tampered with the dates on an entry of some historical figure in order to back up an erroneous argument one of the MPs had made in the House of Commons, or maybe it was a Lord in the House of Lords, and it was pointed and laughed at in the British press.

In short (too late!), it's not the fan-related stuff which is banned, but the creation/editing of entries by parties related to such.

Really, if you want a wiki about your own work, it's best to run it yourself from your own website, or use Wikia, which is free and set up specifically for people to do the fan-stuff. I imagine it'll be a nice draw for readers who want to know more about your fictional world.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Alright, fair enough. Plus, if I did get a Wikipedia entry, it would be a sign that I'd actually gotten to the point where I was popular enough to warrant one.

So I guess in a way it's actually not something to do yourself, but rather something to look forward to.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So I guess in a way it's actually not something to do yourself, but rather something to look forward to.
Bingo. (... and I couldn't have said it better myself!)

- M.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #12
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
I do think, though, that if you have an interesting world and cast of characters, it would not hurt to do an independent website on them.

You don't need wikipedia to do that. And if someone ever does create a wikipedia page for you, they will have your site to use as a proof source!

Camille
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Alright, fair enough. Plus, if I did get a Wikipedia entry, it would be a sign that I'd actually gotten to the point where I was popular enough to warrant one.
Hey, if you're not on Wiki, you're a zero, man!
Old 07-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #14
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hey, if you're not on Wiki, you're a zero, man!
Feel free to put him there. I'm sure Steven would be grateful!

- M.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:58 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I should perhaps add that I'm not there either .