Old 05-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
eboyhan
PandaMuse
eboyhan doesn't littereboyhan doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx, kindle touch SO, kindle fire, kindle fire hd8.9
Thumbs up Kindle Update 2.5 is Announced

At:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...eId=200324680&

Amazon is outlining features of Kindle update 2.5 scheduled for late May. Key new features (from my perspective): "Collections", a way of grouping/categorizing your books; pan and zoom PDFs (I'm really gonna like this one I think), some larger fonts, and (the media is really jumping on this one -- but I'm not much into social networking) Twitter and Facebook interface capabilities. This update will nicely enhance the kindle/kindle dx.

Also at:
http://www.amazon.com/tag/kindle/for...x2SUT85PXNNBVD
Amazon is announcing a new version of kindle for pc. The update includes full screen reading, background color and brightness controls, and the ability to create and edit notes and highlights in your books. They will be rolling this update out to existing Kindle for PC users, or you can download the updated version today at:

http://www.amazon.com/kindleforpc

I also expect a new kindle device announcement in advance of the Christmas 2010 selling season.

Apparently, the pan and zoom capability is only within a single page, and, if true (it actually makes sense -- intra-page zoom is easy; inter-page zoom requires a full document reflow), it will be an ok, but not great feature.

Last edited by eboyhan; 05-01-2010 at 11:50 AM. Reason: improve post
eboyhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The link doesn't appear to be working for me.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
Hey, eboyhan, for a second, I thought 2.6 was coming out! :-)
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
dasym
Connoisseur
dasym began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle. iPad 3
Was that just announced today? I didn't know anything about it until I turned my Kindle on after switching wireless on for the first time in a week, and it had updated itself.

What's even more surprising is that I'm in the UK and the browser lets me access any site I've tried; it's no longer restricted to just Wikipedia and the Kindle Store. I hope this lasts!
dasym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasym View Post
Was that just announced today? I didn't know anything about it until I turned my Kindle on after switching wireless on for the first time in a week, and it had updated itself.

What's even more surprising is that I'm in the UK and the browser lets me access any site I've tried; it's no longer restricted to just Wikipedia and the Kindle Store. I hope this lasts!

Really Dasym? That's interesting....
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
eboyhan
PandaMuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The link doesn't appear to be working for me.

Don
Sorry, don't know what happened with original link, but I updated post with new link -- seems to work
Old 05-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
eboyhan
PandaMuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
Really Dasym? That's interesting....
It appears that most (if not all) the reported beta users (and 2.5 bin file downloads -- google if interested) are for DXi. Most early adopter reports are positive, although PDF zoom is only within a single page.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #8
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
K2I's are getting it.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:23 AM   #9
Snapply
Connoisseur
Snapply began at the beginning.

Device: Amazozn Kindlezz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
K2I's are getting it.
Explain.
Snapply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:08 AM   #10
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is there to explain? Some K2I's have received the upgrade.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:36 AM   #11
Snapply
Connoisseur
Snapply began at the beginning.

Device: Amazozn Kindlezz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
What is there to explain? Some K2I's have received the upgrade.
So you meant to say K2Is have it, I thought you meant the .bin file is somewhere on the intrawebs.
Snapply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:23 AM   #12
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapply View Post
So you meant to say K2Is have it, I thought you meant the .bin file is somewhere on the intrawebs.
Ah. When that happens you will see me do the happy dance. Can't find it anywhere. I think they should do a general release. I haven't heard of any technical problems at all.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #13
morefun
morefun began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I have a DXi and mine still shows version 2.3, and my update is greyed. Should I have received the 2.5 update by now?
morefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #14
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by morefun View Post
I have a DXi and mine still shows version 2.3, and my update is greyed. Should I have received the 2.5 update by now?
No. Right now, 2.5 is supposedly in beta and has only been released to a small number of Kindle users for testing. It will be available for manual download and broad wireless release at the end of May...

But here's to hoping that, by setting a late May date, that means that they can make us all overjoyed by delivering it earlier...
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #15
morefun
morefun began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
No. Right now, 2.5 is supposedly in beta and has only been released to a small number of Kindle users for testing. It will be available for manual download and broad wireless release at the end of May...

But here's to hoping that, by setting a late May date, that means that they can make us all overjoyed by delivering it earlier...
Thanks, Anarel. With all the talk of folks having the update on DXi, I was starting to get worried. And I don't know why I have a 2.3 when the next is 2.5. Was there a 2.4 that I missed?
morefun is offline   Reply With Quote