Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
fatlard
fatlard began at the beginning.

Device: None
Best Device for getting ebook from library

I actually have two questions.

1. Which device is the easiest to get books from the public library? My library uses mymediamall.com and overdrive.com

2. Which device is easiest to load grey area books..?
fatlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlard View Post
I actually have two questions.

1. Which device is the easiest to get books from the public library? My library uses mymediamall.com and overdrive.com

2. Which device is easiest to load grey area books..?
Welcome to MobileRead, erm.....

I understand the Sony is very easy to get books from the library. Check the "epub" and 'pdf" versions of the books in your library and see if they carry the selection you like.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
The pocket pro from Astak is a nice reader that reads a variety of ebook formats including the drm epub and pdf ebooks from the Overdrive library subscription service.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
fatlard

How does the Astak compare to the Jetbook?
Old 12-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Astak uses e-ink screen, Jetbook a reflective LCD if I'm not misstaken.

So it's mostly different screen technologies.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I understand the Sony is very easy to get books from the library. Check the "epub" and 'pdf" versions of the books in your library and see if they carry the selection you like.
The Sony's all have a problem storing Adobe PDF and ePub lending library books on the device at the same time. You can have one or the other, but not both. So far as I know, none of the other devices with mobile Adobe Digital Editions have this issue. These include EZ Readers, Bookeen Opus, B&N Nook, etcetera.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How does the Astak compare to the Jetbook?
The Jetbook does not support lending library ebooks. The Aluratek Libre is the same hardware (same LCD screen) but with Adobe ebook support, presumaly including Adobe lending library ebooks, see Aluratek Libre just got Adobe DE support.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
fatlard

I think I am more confused than ever.

If I am reading this correctly... if I want to do public library books.. I should go for the Sony PRS300RC.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
if I want to do public library books.. I should go for the Sony PRS300RC.
Any Sony will work, so will the EZ Reader's (Basic and Pocket Pro). Books on Board sells several ebook devices, and they all run Adobe Digital Editions and so can read Adobe lending library ebooks.

There are some lending library ebooks in the MOBI format, but most are Adobe PDF or Adobe ePub.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Astak uses e-ink screen, Jetbook a reflective LCD if I'm not misstaken.

So it's mostly different screen technologies.
It's the fact that the Jetbook is not good for getting eBooks from the library.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #11
fatlard

Thanks for everyones help. I ended up getting the Sony PRS-300.

Thanks!