Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-04-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
CarolC
CarolC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Intro, new to PRS 600, how to get free books

After doing a lot of research, I finally bought my first ebook reader -- Sony PRS 600. First I bought a book I'd been wanting; next I went to the Gutenberg project to download a free book. No luck. So I tried to find a free Google book. Also no luck. I have spent most of the day trying to find a website that gives information on how to download free books to the Sony, but so far haven't had any luck.
But I did find this group and am hopeful that someone has already figured this out.
Thanks lots for any direction.
CarolC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Carol and welcome to MobileRead. Check out the tons of free books for the Sony on this site. Also, go to the Wiki at the top of the page and check out the lending libraries here https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, CarolC!

We have books here that you can download for your 600 in either the lrf or epub format. I prefer the lrf because it is fully justified but it is certainly a personal preference. Just click on [Ebooks] in the blue strip at the top of the page and select the format you like. Look through all the available books and then download it to a directory of your choice on your computer. You can then Import that file into your Sony Ebook Library software or use Calibre, a much better library software that is available here at MR. Good luck.

Happy Reading.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Carol, there are thousands of Gutenberg books available in ePub format, I've got a bunch of them on my PRS-600 - where were you looking for them?

Here's an example: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/28885
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to Mobileread Carol.

Before you go to PG try downloading some of the thousands of books here. They've been hand formatted by our own members, are in public domain, and you will find a huge difference in the ease of reading. No extraneous pages to go thru.....you can sort by author or title, or you can search specific books.

Good luck.

Last edited by desertgrandma; 10-05-2009 at 08:52 PM.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
CarolC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheinz View Post
Carol, there are thousands of Gutenberg books available in ePub format, I've got a bunch of them on my PRS-600 - where were you looking for them?

Here's an example: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/28885
Thanks for the replies. I can download to my computer, I just can't get them on my 600. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #8
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Sorry for the long delay, I was kidnapped by trolls and forced to work on my day job.

There are two ways to do this:

1) Using the eBook Library software, drag the "epub" file onto your library. Then you can drag it onto your reader's icon.

2) Open the PRS-600's icon on the desktop and drop the epub file into there.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:56 AM   #9
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Welcome, so how are you doing today, and did you get your books download onto your Sony yet? If not let us know I promise someone will help.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #10
camino real
Enthusiast
camino real is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-300
Hello Carol. Welcome to the forum. I hope you've managed to get your books loaded onto your reader.
camino real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #11
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	rosegoldglitter.gif
Views:	1332
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	38583 Carol, and welcome to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
CarolC

Yea! I downloaded my first Gutenberg book, Walden. I appreciate all your suggestions. It was surprisingly easy, once some of you told me how. And I also appreciate the suggestions of where to look for more books. Thanks again.