Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-24-2008, 08:58 PM   #16
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
After reading with the new case for several hours now, I've decided I like it and will continue to use it.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:17 AM   #17
xanlexian
Connoisseur
xanlexian began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 / Nook GL / Kindle 3
This looks like a good case. Thank you for letting us know your feelings on it. I've been kinda-sorta shopping for a better case than the one that came with the reader (I just received my 505 yesterday).

The "official" Sony cases just don't do it for me. I don't need the lightwedge. This looks like the one! Again, thank you for the find and thoughts.

Also, for what it is worth -- I have a "Tuff-Luv" brand case for my Creative Zen MP3 player -- it takes a beating. The "Tuff" part is certainly right. The case for the MP3 player is fantastic quality and fits perfectly. Not too tight, not too loose. So, I'm pleased to see the brand for the Reader.

Anyway -- the gist of my post really is that I have personal experience with the "Tuff-Luv" brand, and I can highly recommend it. Only other case experience I have is "Brando" for my Axim X50v -- again, a highly recommended brand.
xanlexian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 11:45 PM   #18
JasonB
Connoisseur
JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I just got this case last week. In terms of functionality (with one exception) I like it better than the stock case. With the stock case, I ended up folding the cover all the way back (although when I first got it, I read it with the cover to the "left" - like a regular book - I got over that in a few weeks) - but doing this results in the reader being "pushed" to the left, with the front cover (now at the back) extending out past the right-hand side of the reader itself. I never liked that. With this case, the right-hand side of the cover is flush with the reader - it doesn't extend past it - while the left-hand side cover extends only very slightly past the edge of the reader itself. However, not enough to bother me at all and, since it's on the left-hand side, that's okay too.

In terms of looks, I find it a mixed bag. When the cover is closed, I think it look nicer than the stock cover. With the cover off, however, it doesn't look so nice. It's not something I'd take pride in handing to somebody to show off the look of my reader. (I would likely remove it from the cover altogether before showing them the reader.)

Plus, my reader doesn't sit quite far enough down inside the cover or enough to the right. The cover ever so slightly cuts off some of the buttons. Not enough so that they can't be used, but just enough that it's a little bit annoying - although, in practice, I don't need to access anything other than the power slide and the page back and forward buttons (on the right) for the majority of my time.

One thing that I should specifically mention, because it took my by surprise, is that the cover opens vertically ("hinged" at the top), not horizontally (hinged at the left) as you would expect. (None of the photos I've seen actually show the cover being partially open - they only show it fully closed or fully open. They do show the "clasp" at the bottom - but I didn't make the connection.) This makes it feel as if you're using a note pad rather than a note book.

All in all, I like this cover better than the stock cover - both in terms of it feeling better padded, and because folding the cover all the way back doesn't mess with how the reader sits inside it. I just find it a shame that it's more ugly than elegant when the cover is actually open. It's the one "sour" note I have, and which would make me hesitate a bit to recommend it. (I might have to buy an m-edge also, as they look quite nice, and better than the Tuff-Luv when opened - and if they don't suffer from the issue with the reader being "misplaced" when the cover is folded all the way back, it might take top spot with me.)

I haven't yet had the chance to read at a pub or coffee shop and use the feature the Tuff-Luv has of being able to sit on its own, so I can't comment on that.

Last edited by JasonB; 02-25-2009 at 11:49 PM.
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #19
JasonB
Connoisseur
JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
All in all, I like this cover better than the stock cover
Well, this is ironic. After posting this just a day ago, I decided to switch back to the stock cover just to see. You know what? I like the stock cover more. It's simply more pleasing to look at - and it's also easier to open and doesn't make the reader feel as thick. (It still has the issue with the reader sliding to the left when you fold the cover back - but I discovered I don't really mind that so much.)

So, I guess I'm putting this down to experience.

Last edited by JasonB; 02-27-2009 at 11:03 AM.
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:18 AM   #20
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
I bet if you wanted to part with it, one of us would be interested.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #21
rittsi
Enthusiast
rittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 505, iphone 3GS, Kindle 3
I've been using this case since December (it was a Christmas gift) & it's far more practical for me than the original cover. Yes, I don't like the fact that the strap on the right partially covers the 0-9 buttons (mainly 0), but since I don't use them that much anyway, it's not a problem for me.

I take my Sony reader nearly everywhere with me in my bag/purse, & I was always worried about the cover opening up while traveling, leaving the screen unprotected from whatever else is in my bag (eg. keys). I no longer have to worry about that with the clasp at the bottom of the tuff-luv case. It's now easier to hold while reading on the train & in bed. I didn't think I'd end up using the stand, but it has come up handy on certain occasions. (Last weekend I used it to prop my reader up on our kitchen counter, so that I could read while eating breakfast.)

So as far as functionality goes I think it's a definite improvement on the original cover. The looks could improve a bit, but that still hasn't stopped me from showing off my ebook reader whenever I get the opportunity.
rittsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #22
whatmeworry
whatmeworry began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
One quick question to anyone that has this case. Does it add much to the size of the Reader over the standard case?
I'd like a more protective case as I take the Reader out and about a lot but don't want to lose the ability to slip it into my jacket pocket.
Thanks!
whatmeworry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #23
Surfergirl
Enthusiast
Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505 (Blue)/PRS-505 (Red)/iPhone 3GS
I have to say that I'm a convert to the Tuff-Luv case. I recently bought a second-hand 505, which included the silicon and the Tuff-Luv covers. I didn't like the look of either case, so I intended to sell them on and use the proceeds to reduce the overall cost of my 505. I just didn't like the look of the contrasting stitching on the leather case.

However, when I actually got the black Tuff-Luv in my hands, I loved it! The leather is very soft, and having the clip on the case holds it tight against the reader, so it's nice and protected.

Now, I wouldn't give it up.

Irene

Last edited by Surfergirl; 04-16-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Surfergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:44 PM   #24
tonyt
Enthusiast
tonyt began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Rear Stand?

Hi
Does the rear stand thingy not mean that the reader in its case does not lie flat on the table, or if it does, that it is somehow 'raised' by the stand?
tonyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #25
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Because the front cover flips back you can have a flat surface against the table, but even when the cover is closed it doesn't make as much difference as you'd think. When you're reading, if you put the reader on a table it is slightly lower on the right side, but personally it doesn't bother me. I had to put my on the table and examine it from all angles to work out the difference. The case does raise the reader off the surface of the table slightly more than it would if there was no stand, but it's not a problem for me.
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:56 AM   #26
rittsi
Enthusiast
rittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 505, iphone 3GS, Kindle 3
I've attached some pictures of my reader in the tuff-love case, so that you can get an idea of what it looks like.

I just realised that I made a mistake in my previous entry. I actually don't use the actual stand to hold my reader up, I use the cover when it's flipped back.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this case. It's kept my sony reader safe from all the junk I usually carry around with me.

The only changes I would make are:

- The SD card pockets. I don't need them & their location isn't ideal.
- The strip that runs down the right side of the reader isn't necessary.
- Don't need the stand (the cover works fine as a stand when it's flipped back)
- More colours/patterns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4521.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	28333   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4522.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	28334   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4526.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	28335   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4527.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	28336   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4529.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	28337   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4530.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	28338   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4532.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	28339   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4535.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	28340  
rittsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #27
spirit_wolf
_^^~
spirit_wolf is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad 2, PRS-505, PRS-600
These pictures are really helpful, thanks.
spirit_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #28
spirit_wolf
_^^~
spirit_wolf is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad 2, PRS-505, PRS-600
Hmmm... At the moment (5/3 11 AM EST) I only see the pink Tuff-Luv case on i-nique and Amazon. The black case may be out of stock, but instead of showing up as sold-out, it's not listed at all!

Update: Just got word the black Tuff-Luv case was indeed sold out. A new shipment is scheduled to arrive tomorrow (May 6). That's what I expected. However, unless an item is discontinued, I think it's better to display it as sold-out rather than removing it completely from the website.

Last edited by spirit_wolf; 05-05-2009 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Update
spirit_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #29
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Hi, I bought my case in the UK from i-nique on ebay (cheaper there than directly from them) about 10 days ago, and when I started looking they had both black & pink, but now are only offering pink. The only place I've seen black ones today is Amazon's uk site - apparently they have 3 left. But that might not help you if you're in the US.

I definitely recommend the cases though!
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #30
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I've had one of these cases (in black) for a few months now and I much prefer it to the standard case.

I find the stand useful, I can read while cooking etc.. and this case doesn't seem to add much to the overall size (as somebody asked). I can still fit it in all the jacket pockets etc.. that I could with the standard cover. It also feels much more robust and capable of protecting the reader from slight knocks than the standard cover.

I do find that the vertical strip between the screen and the number buttons does very slightly obscure the number 1 button in my case, but not enough to be a real problem when you consider how little you actually use the number buttons whilst reading.

All in all, I like it and prefer it to the standard cover.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, sony 505