Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Calling all UK Sony Reader owners !!

Hi All,
I live in the UK and have recently acquired a Sony PRS-505. This site is the absolute best for advice and I'm slowly working my way through the file conversion minefield! However, I've got the usual non-US resident problem of not being able to buy from US eBook sites (why, oh why do they do that??!). I just wondered what other UK residents do for content?
So far, I've sourced stuff from Gutenberg, Diesel Books, Fictionwise etc but none of the sites I've seen have anywhere near the content available for the Kindle on amazon.com, particularly of recent books.
How do you all manage, please??

Thanks

dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
macphersondh
Enthusiast
macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
I have a US resident friend who has registered his credit card on my account to use and I repay him via Paypal. Works well!

David
macphersondh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2008, 02:27 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There are a number of MR members (eg "Leaping Gnome") who very kindly offer to buy Sony Store gift vouchers for non-US people (you pay him for them by PayPal). The vouchers can be used by anyone.

The other option is to buy LIT books and convert them to Sony format. This is very easy, although possibly not entirely legal in the UK - the law is not clear.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:14 AM   #4
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I tend to buy LIT books and convert them personally, I have in the past bought eReader books but obviously they don't have as nice formatting in the end
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #5
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Thanks for the ideas; unfortunately, my US resident contact has now re-located again, so that's not an option. I'll probably stick to the file conversion route for the time being and hope that Waterstones will come up trumps in the autumn!!

Happy reading!!
Advert
Old 07-18-2008, 10:04 PM   #6
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Just PM if you would like to purchase some Connect credit and we'll work it out, as Harry mentioned. At this point I have bought well over $10,000 in gift credit for MobileReaders.

EDIT: I just added it up because I was curious, over $19,000! I wonder if I am Sony's best customer.

Last edited by Leaping Gnome; 07-18-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:53 AM   #7
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Thats amazing! shame you dont get loyalty points!
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:30 AM   #8
Lord KiRon
Connoisseur
Lord KiRon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
God !
You really BUY eBooks ?
Lord KiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:52 AM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
You wouldn't be suggesting that we violated a poor author's copyright, would you, Lord KiRon?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:15 PM   #10
Lord KiRon
Connoisseur
Lord KiRon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
You wouldn't be suggesting that we violated a poor author's copyright, would you, Lord KiRon?
Actually no idea.
I use public internet libraries , I guess it's their problem to distinguish (or somehow manage) copyrighted material from public domain.

Btw many of the books Sony sells in store are public domain so nobody have a rights for them (or what ever it phrased in specific country law since every country has different).
Lord KiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:50 PM   #11
rarias12345
rarias12345 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Finally I could by books from Sony

I PM to Leaping Gnome, did what he said and now I can get some books. Overcomming the Sony Connect only-US law.

Many thanks to Leaping Gnome
rarias12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:07 PM   #12
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
One thing to keep in mind about the UK waterstones ebooks store.

The few waterstones employees I have spoken to have said that the prices will be close to UK Paperback book prices in most cases, and higher for new releases. So £6 to £8 pounds for most and higher for some.

I don't know about you, but buying from US based stores still looks like the best bet, with prices like this. They Might be wrong, and prices might be cheaper, but living in and with Rip off Britain, I'm not keeping my hopes up.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #13
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
One thing to keep in mind about the UK waterstones ebooks store.

The few waterstones employees I have spoken to have said that the prices will be close to UK Paperback book prices in most cases, and higher for new releases. So £6 to £8 pounds for most and higher for some.

I don't know about you, but buying from US based stores still looks like the best bet, with prices like this. They Might be wrong, and prices might be cheaper, but living in and with Rip off Britain, I'm not keeping my hopes up.
That's disappointing. I'll keep buying from fictionwise for now.
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:16 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord KiRon View Post
Actually no idea.
I use public internet libraries , I guess it's their problem to distinguish (or somehow manage) copyrighted material from public domain.
What libraries are you referring to?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:57 PM   #15
dickon25
Groupie

Harry, I wondered which public libraries as well, but, being a newbie, thought everyone would already know!

Since I started this thread I've been exploring further options and have found that Books on Board is one of the better sites - I download the Mobi version and crunch it through Calibre (which is brilliant!). The new PRS-505 upgrade for Adobe is useful too, but I'm not fully happy with having to use the Sony book library again and haven't yet been able to work out how to add downloads to Calibre. This means I've got two libraries on the go, which is not ideal!

Incidentally, I popped into my local Sony shop the other day and, amongst other things, asked them about when their Readers will be on sale (Sept 14th). The staff had a sample under the counter, still in its sealed box, but they barely knew what it was for! Let's hope they have a little training before they try and start selling the thing!!!

Regards,