Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 08-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
bluetdi1
bluetdi1 began at the beginning.

Device: itouch
Viewing Content Server from the Internet

Viewing Content Server from the Internet
In the past I have, through trial and error, successfully set up the content server with my ebooks.
At the present time, the content server is still available, but not through the interent. To my knowledge I have not changed anything, but something has changed.
I can view the content server on my PC - no problem. I did not use 8080 for a port but another 4 digit number that worked for 6 months. I also decided to create a service for the content server, so that the server would be available 24/7. I used anyserviceinstaller and it worked fine. I could find my server on the internet by pointing to my internet address on the web. 68.45. __.___.___: and after a colon the port number I set up in calibre server. The service pointed to a cmd file that started the content server on a particular port. It worked - it was wonderful. The service appears to be working, I have checked it.
As I said above the content server is not available on the Internet. I have checked my windows firewall and everything appears to be a go. I have checked my outside IP address with myipchicken and using that outside IP address I cannot get to the content server!!
Recently, I started using x64 bit Calibre instead of x32 bit Calibre - would that be a factor??
Is there someone out there that is familiar with what I trying to explain here, can you give me a few hints to check out.

Thanks Russ David
bluetdi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetdi1 View Post
Recently, I started using x64 bit Calibre instead of x32 bit Calibre - would that be a factor??
Since you seem to have jumped through most of the hoops it may be a x64 problem. Most folks x64 works fine but for some folks there are hiccups. Install calibre portable (which is x32) and see if that version works for you. It can be installed along side of any other version.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetdi1 View Post

Thanks Russ David
Did you check/set up the setting for the content server after upgrading to 64bit?
Have you set up port forwarding on your router?

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The path to 64 bit is different than 32 bit as far as your firewall is concerned.
You may need to update your white list
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The path to 64 bit is different than 32 bit as far as your firewall is concerned.
You may need to update your white list
Good call.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
bluetdi1
bluetdi1 began at the beginning.

Device: itouch
Still no luck

Thanks to all who tried to help. My laptop died so I moved onto a desktop and added x64 Calibre to the desktop. I manage to salvage the hard drive for the laptop and my book collection is now residing on the desktop.
So... I decided to start over with the content server.
Router is still set up with port forwarding. I used 4040. Server works on my desktop. Created a bat file (start calibre-server –port 4040 –with-library C:\Users\Russ\Calibre 2 Library). Used Anyserviceinstaller to create a service for the content server - service was created. Checked the windows firewall and the content server is allowed. I used my outside ip address as verified by Ipchicken and still no luck. I did get a message saying unable to connect to proxy server - That's a new one. Incidentally, I believe I got an unable to connect message in the past that mentioned DNS server something???. I have not changed anything regarding DNS or proxy or whatever.
Just to repeat - the content server was working great about 2 weeks ago!
Again thanks for your suggestions, if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.
Windows 7 x64
Linksys router with tomato 1.25 firmware
1.00 x64 Calibre

Thanks
Russ David
bluetdi1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
content server, myipchicken, service