Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-19-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
nlm
nlm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
what does mount or dismount mean?

I'm a brand new (several hour) Kindle user. I tested out the USB connection to try to charge the device and got a message that I needed to "dismount" the device in order to use while charging. Couldn't figure out how to do it after checking my computer manual and Kindle Welcome info. (I'm a Windows XP user). I also read that I need to do something similar to upload MP3 files. Would very much appreciate any explanation! (teenage son expert away for summer!)
nlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlm View Post
I'm a brand new (several hour) Kindle user. I tested out the USB connection to try to charge the device and got a message that I needed to "dismount" the device in order to use while charging. Couldn't figure out how to do it after checking my computer manual and Kindle Welcome info. (I'm a Windows XP user). I also read that I need to do something similar to upload MP3 files. Would very much appreciate any explanation! (teenage son expert away for summer!)
If you are using Windows, while in Explorer right click on the drive labeled "Kindle" and select "eject" from the menu. That will basically close out the Kindle drive from use in Explorer. This allows you to read your Kindle while it is still connected to the computer for charging. You will not be able to drag and drop files onto the Kindle after you eject it. If you want to access the Kindle again to move files, just remove the USB cable and reconnect it and the Kindle will show in Explorer again.

If you're on a Mac, there may be a similar process which someone familiar with Macs will have to explain.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlm View Post
Dismounting just makes sure that no data is going through the USB cable. You can dismount a drive by clicking on the USB icon in your Windows toolbar - usually bottom right on most people's computers. Or, do it through Explorer as Daffy mentioned.

As long as you are not in the process of transferring files, then it is fine to just pull the USB cable out of the computer and put it back in charging off the wall if you want. But in order to tell the Kindle that you are all done with file transfer and you just want to read, while it's still plugged into the PC, you have to formally dismount it, so the Kindle will understand that you are leaving the USB plugged in just for power.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
As long as you are not in the process of transferring files, then it is fine to just pull the USB cable out of the computer and put it back in charging off the wall if you want.
Arrrggghhhh! No!

Please don't give people advice like that. It's not a matter of whether you are in the "process" of transferring files, but whether any file has EVER been written to the device since it's been connected. Windows can "defer" writing data to the disk, and you're extremely likely to corrupt the Kindle's file system if you just arbitrarily unplug the USB cable, even if it's 10 minutes since you last copied a file.

Always, ALWAYS safely dismount the device. It's just asking for trouble not to do so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:00 AM   #5
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Wow, Harry, I never knew that about Windoze! Thanks for the info.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 04:05 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not just Windows. All operating systems do this. NEVER just unplug a storage device without correctly dismounting it.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:23 AM   #7
nlm
nlm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thank you all for the info. Haven't had time to try but will do so this weekend.
nlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:01 AM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Arrrggghhhh! No!

Please don't give people advice like that. It's not a matter of whether you are in the "process" of transferring files, but whether any file has EVER been written to the device since it's been connected. Windows can "defer" writing data to the disk, and you're extremely likely to corrupt the Kindle's file system if you just arbitrarily unplug the USB cable, even if it's 10 minutes since you last copied a file.
Actually, unless you change the settings, all removable USB devices are by default set to "quick removal", which disables write caching and so you can unplug the device the moment the copying is finished.
Of course always using safe removal or eject is a good habit, but you make it sound as if write caching is always active, while usually it is not the case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t.PNG
Views:	356
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	32869  
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:22 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Actually, unless you change the settings, all removable USB devices are by default set to "quick removal", which disables write caching and so you can unplug the device the moment the copying is finished.
Of course always using safe removal or eject is a good habit, but you make it sound as if write caching is always active, while usually it is not the case.
True in theory. In practice, not all devices appear to "honour" this setting. Eg, I've just checked and my CyBook appears as "Optimize for quick removal" in Windows, and yet I know for a fact that unplugging it without doing a "safely remove hardware" can and does corrupt the file system.

I really would urge people not to rely on this. Doing a "safely remove hardware" takes only seconds, and could save you from a whole lot of grief.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:28 AM   #10
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
By the way, the terms mount & dismount to make a drive accessible come from the Linux operating system that the Kindle uses internally. I'm a little surprised the text wasn't editing to something most people would find easier to understand when they were assembling the Kindle's OS.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote