Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Video streaming to your Tablet or RedBox DVDs?

Streaming content to your Fire, Nook, Tablet, Computer, or Phone? Yes!
But still the DVD is alive and well according to my favorite movie supplier: REDBOX

Redbox pays $100 million for NCR's Blockbuster Express
by Greg Sandoval February 6, 2012 2:47 PM PST

"At a time when the DVD appears to be dying, Redbox has acquired NCR's entertainment business for $100 million.

Redbox will bolster its movie-kiosk business by acquiring Blockbuster Express. (Credit: Redbox)

NCR is a company that specializes in automatic teller machines and retail kiosks. If you used one of those self-serve ticket machines at an airport, chances are you've used an NCR product. The company began operating more than 10,000 Blockbluster Express DVD kiosks after acquiring the brand from the original Blockbuster video rental service (Blockbuster went bankrupt and the brand and some of its stores were acquired last year by the Dish Network). Apparently, NCR couldn't make a go of it.

In October, Homemediamagazine.com reported that NCR reported a $13 million operating loss on sales of $42 million for the third quarter. The company said then it expected a $60 million operating loss for the full fiscal year.

According to the press release issued today by Redbox and parent company Coinstar, the transaction with NCR is expected to close in the third quarter of 2012..."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-57...?tag=cnetRiver

Now if they would just drop their pricing back down to the original $1.00 from the $1.20 it is now for a non Blue Ray disk, but I am afraid that with Blockbuster defeated and now in hand, the temptation will be to raise the price up. We shall have to wait and see

Last edited by SeaKing; 02-06-2012 at 09:58 PM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
While I enjoy streaming movies and such... I still prefer to actually have the disc in hand to watch whenever I want and not be limited to when I have wi-fi/wireless signal. I've not used Redbox too many times (I'm usually content to wait for a used DVD/Blu-Ray sale or just snag them off Amazon on discount), but I know several people who do religiously. But, the price for a quick rental at the grocery store is certainly attractive, to say the least.

I'd hope that the prices don't go up much, if at all.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
While I enjoy streaming movies and such... I still prefer to actually have the disc in hand to watch whenever I want and not be limited to when I have wi-fi/wireless signal. I've not used Redbox too many times (I'm usually content to wait for a used DVD/Blu-Ray sale or just snag them off Amazon on discount), but I know several people who do religiously. But, the price for a quick rental at the grocery store is certainly attractive, to say the least.

I'd hope that the prices don't go up much, if at all.
I remember when the first machines came out and I was talking to the manager at the video store I usually went to. It wasn't Blockbuster, but another small chain in the local Walmart Plaza.

I asked how will you respond. He said that the cost at the video store was about the same. You could get the movie for about 3 days at a cost of something like $3.50 so it was about $1.00 a day like the video machine box. I said I only watched a video once usually, and returned it the next day. He repeated what he had said and I just let it go.

They still haven't rented that store space where the video store was.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I don't buy videos often, only with things that I know will be watched over and over again. Most videos I would watch only once. I'll use Netflix most of the time, and Redbox occasionally.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Same here. Netflix 90+% of the time, Redbox for new release disks. This is great news, potential streaming competition for Netflix and Amazon.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have streaming for NF but I find myself using it for my HT mostly.

Streaming to a tablet obviously pales in comparison to watching a dvd on one's HT for both pq and aq even with only a halfway decent setup. And I have a compact Dvd player as well and that is still better than streaming to a tablet.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I'm a casual consumer of entertainment. I have an antenna in my attic. I have DVR that records all my favorite shows. I have Netflix. I have my 300 (or so) favorite movies and series on DVD which I have ripped to a disk which is plugged into an SMP-N200. Most of the time, I just turn on the TV and watch something that is currently broadcasting. When that fails, I browse the archive of my DVR. When I am craving a specific movie or show, I fire up the smp-n200 and tune in Netflix or Crackle or play one of my ripped movies.

There is no way I put on a pair of pants and venture out to rent a movie. Am I alone in this?
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #8
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I'm a casual consumer of entertainment. I have an antenna in my attic. I have DVR that records all my favorite shows. I have Netflix. I have my 300 (or so) favorite movies and series on DVD which I have ripped to a disk which is plugged into an SMP-N200. Most of the time, I just turn on the TV and watch something that is currently broadcasting. When that fails, I browse the archive of my DVR. When I am craving a specific movie or show, I fire up the smp-n200 and tune in Netflix or Crackle or play one of my ripped movies.

There is no way I put on a pair of pants and venture out to rent a movie. Am I alone in this?
You are not alone in this. I can't remember the last time I sought out a movie by leaving the house.

I, too, have antenna tv, both to my regular tvs and to my media center PC via a network tuner. I have a few of my favorite tv shows and several movies on DVD & also ripped to my media drive. I use Netflix for both streaming and DVDs but most of what I watch is on broadcast TV. My media center PC is my pride and joy.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

wizwor

"There is no way I put on a pair of pants and venture out to rent a movie. Am I alone in this?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
You are not alone in this. I can't remember the last time I sought out a movie by leaving the house.

I, too, have antenna tv, both to my regular tvs and to my media center PC via a network tuner. I have a few of my favorite tv shows and several movies on DVD & also ripped to my media drive. I use Netflix for both streaming and DVDs but most of what I watch is on broadcast TV. My media center PC is my pride and joy.
First wizwor, I must say that I always have on a pair of pants unless I am going to bed.

1. No Netflix, cable, satellite. Not home enough for those to be worthwhile. Seldom watch sports or the news in real time. Not there and too busy

2. My last good big analog TV blew the power supply last year, and I have a 13" digital CRT I got for $100 at Walmart when my two converter boxes from the government hadn't come and we had the change over I have a couple of 5" b&w analog tvs from HR-Gregg for about 10 to $12 each. I now have them hooked to the old converter box, and an old VCR/DVD player and watch the 5" when tread milling. Usually recorded stuff, news or docs. Why nothing bigger in the TV line. Well I could easily get a biggie, but these days I live on a houseboat and am planning to move to a converted trawler when I finish it. I will wait and make a final judgement as to what I can put in the boat when I am living there. I estimate only a 26' to 30" LCD will be needed. The new TVs are great in that they don't take up any room in a cabin fitting right against the wall. I don't know yet how to handle that treadmill on the new boat.

3. For broadcast TV, I have 2 antennas, 1 for the 13" digital set and the other for a whiz bang Panasonic DVR with SD and USB2 and digital tuner. I can watch something and record something else though that doesn't usually happen.
The only broadcast shows I watch besides an occasional movie are series like GRIMM, Lost Girl, Falling Skies, Game of Thrones. Usually sci-fi related. Sometimes I will record a Nature type documentary. I watch those on the treadmill too. If I can't get episodes of the series on the DVR, I download them, and just swap them to the DRV with the USB2 and watch them when I feel like it. Easier than WiFi or an HDMI cable.

4. As for both your comments about not making the effort to go pick up a video, I agree wholeheartedly. I never go OUT just to get a movie.

However when I am going home or to work or elsewhere, I go to the grocery store at least every other day, and to the drug store or Walmart at least once a week, and other stores as well.
The Redboxs or other video boxes are in the Ingles and Bilo grocery store just past the checkout, and in the Walmart by the door, and just outside each of the two drugs stores I go to.

Unless you guys are having all your food delivered to your home, and never leave for work or anything else, I doubt that I am leaving the house any more than you are. Usually out once a day and back in once a day. Occasionally I get a call and go out again but that is not for the video machine.

5. I too have old movies. I probably had 500 VHS movies, 95% or better copied. I seldom watched them. I have gotten rid of maybe all but 40. Getting ready to move to that boat. I would like to convert the last to DVD or an external drive. I have already on external drives a bunch of movies and docs from various places. I am culling them too as I can. Thank God, I didn't copy a bunch of movies to DVD. I learned my lesson with the VHSs.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #10
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Unless you guys are having all your food delivered to your home, and never leave for work or anything else, I doubt that I am leaving the house any more than you are. Usually out once a day and back in once a day. Occasionally I get a call and go out again but that is not for the video machine.
I'm a bit of an odd duck in this regard. I work from home and absolutely hate most stores so I rarely go to the store unless my roommate is out of town and can't pick up what I need. Although it is amazing what can be found on Amazon these days. I'm not a total hermit, though it may seem that way. I get out quite a bit on foot because I like to walk, but the bigger stores are too far away to be on my route. And I go out on the weekend to dinner, concerts, stuff like that.

I do miss having some place to get out and go to every day, which is why I'm looking for a second job, but I don't think that will change my aversion to stores. Sometimes I forget that I'm weird compared to most people.

Edited to add: But I've usually got pants on regardless.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #11
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
All I can say is, every time I go shopping and there is a Red Box kiosk at the store, it's always busy.

Especially at Walgreens. They usually have double kiosks there and there's generally a line still.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #12
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
One thing you can do is pre-order (reserve) a Redbox DVD in a particular machine using a smartphone app. Then just swipe your credit card when you arrive and out pops your movie. It doesn't help that line of people standing there, wondering what to order. I sincerely hope they modify their kiosks with a pre-order-only window and a return-only window. Those would make the experience much better, especially as they grow in popularity.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #13
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
The big thing for me is that, even at $1.20, Redbox movie rentals still generally cost less than their digital equivalents. And where I currently live there are two machines in easy walking distance.

I've never seen a line in front of a Redbox machine myself.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #14
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
All I can say is, every time I go shopping and there is a Red Box kiosk at the store, it's always busy.

Especially at Walgreens. They usually have double kiosks there and there's generally a line still.
Agreed. I usually see people at Redbox renting movies.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #15
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I like Redbox. I figure (and so do they) that they will not be a viable model several years down the road, but until the, they fill a need really well.

I watch a lot of free and cheap (Netflix) streaming video, but when I'm interested in a newer release that I can't get quickly from Netflix by mail, it's well worth it to me to stop at the corner Redbox for a buck than, rather than spending the extra 3 or 4 bucks on an Amazon or PPV rental. I do occassionaly go that route, but I have to REALLY want to stay inside....
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote