Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
NoHolyGrail
Connoisseur
NoHolyGrail began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (previously owned PRS-500, PRS-600)
Protection: sleeve versus cover

Do you think the standard Sony leather cover for the 600 or the sleeve that comes with it would provide better protection for the device? I'm always very careful with all my devices, so it's not much a practical question as a matter of curiosity.
NoHolyGrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I think in general the cover is better protection...however, I say this as a woman who throws hers in her purse! It gets banged around a bit in there!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I am most suspicious about the level of protection offered by a sleeve vs a case.

As such I treat a sleeve as merely a dust cover and scratch protector, while a case provides the above and impact protection necessary if one takes the ereader outside or is more mobile.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #4
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
The included sleeve works just fine for me. I carry mine around in my backpack with stuff like my laptop power cable or my compact camera. I've never had any problems with it.
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
Starbreaker
Starbreaker began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
I think the cover gives much better protection on the Sony devices. It's also very comfortable to hold.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2010, 01:17 AM   #6
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I think the cover works pretty good in a protection point of view, except for the parts where you have the cover open (I mean the rim of the device could get damaged by keys in a purse or so). For this, I think a sleeve is better suited. There are sleeves available in pretty sturdy material and thickness, so I think it's more a question of usability. I rather like folding the cover open and to the back than getting the reader out of a sleeve. And once it's out of the sleeve, you sometimes have to set aside the reader and putting it back into the sleeve for just a second doesn't seem practiacl to me.
So I go with the cover and never went backt to the supplied sleeve that came with the reader.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:38 AM   #7
NoHolyGrail
Connoisseur
NoHolyGrail began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (previously owned PRS-500, PRS-600)
Personally, I always liked the cover on my 500 but the leather cover for the 600 seems a little too loose for me. I often find myself taking it off for a more comfortable read. So I was just wondering if maybe it was still useful from a protection point of view.

Now that I think about it, I guess both are ideal in different situations--sometimes spongy does a better job, sometimes stiff.

That's also a good point about the cover opening up, although I would never put keys in the same compartment of a bag as my reader anyway. Still important to take into consideration.
NoHolyGrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:09 AM   #8
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHolyGrail View Post
Now that I think about it, I guess both are ideal in different situations--sometimes spongy does a better job, sometimes stiff.
Needing different cases to fulfill different jobs....
That's why I made different DIY cases for my iPad, too (I know it's not about the iPad, but I allready had cases for my Sony...)

If you want you can check the cases out here:
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Wooden-iPad-case/
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-...oleskin-style/

I hope no one gets this wrong. I'm not about bragging about the stuff I made, but I surely am proud it turned out like it did. So no offense please
Old 08-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #9
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
I find I prefer the sleeve in the sense that it took up less space in my bag.When getting a cover for the prs600 I went with the cover with light,since its a feature I missed terribly after my prs700 went bonkers and stopped working. But the cover does feel sturdier,its only when I have a small bag that I worry.Plus,when I'm not in need of the light,I somehow prefer to have the reader in hand without cover...which was never really the case with my 505 or 700
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A sleeve can only protect as long as the reader is in the sleeve. Once you take the reader out of the sleeve, the protection is gone. A cover has protection all the time. The amount of protection depends on if the cover is open or close. But with a cover on and open, there is still more protection then a reader with no cover.

As for carrying around a reader, those that like a sleeve, if you get a sleeve that will fit the reader with a cover, then you can have the best of both worlds. Most sleeves do not fit a reader with cover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #11
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
If you want you can check the cases out here:
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Wooden-iPad-case/
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-...oleskin-style/

I hope no one gets this wrong. I'm not about bragging about the stuff I made, but I surely am proud it turned out like it did. So no offense please
I think you've earned the bragging right for those cases. They are beautiful.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #12
Mike_73
Guru

Thanks for the warm words Ea