Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #3136
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
*whistles*

* ScreenSavers 0.37.N:
Some core changes on how the cover mode behaves internally to be more efficient, and less IO-hungry .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #3137
jation
Enthusiast
jation began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2
I want to try to install Duokan OS on kindle 4 nt 4.1.1
Probably I must unisstall all hacks and jailbreak first.
Every hack I install have unisstall file, but kindle-python-0.4.N-k4 no that file. How to unistall python?
And if I success to install Duokan, do I can install jailbreak and all hacks again without problem?

Thanks!!!
jation is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #3138
Weexe
Weexe began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
Hello,
i use Windows an try to access my Kindle via SSH.
I've created a ssh-key , enabled debug /entered usbNetwork/ disabled debug
but still cant connect with Filezilla.
Windows doesn't detect it as ethernet gadget or smth like this.

Did somone know why ?

EDIT: ping "IP of Kindle" doesn't work to (got the IP with ifconfig in terminal) :O
Weexe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #3139
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@jation: There's none, because we don't need one. Everything's in the python folder in the userstore, it's completely harmless/inert. (No experience with Duokan myself, and I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, so check in the appropriate thread ).

@Weexe: Over USB or WiFi? You mention Windows, yet you also mention ifconfig. That doesn't track. ifconfig is a *nix utility, the Windows equivalent is ipconfig. So, err, can't really get what you might have done wrong, more details please . Besides, there's no need to look for an IP anywhere when working over USB, you're the own that dictates what the Kindle uses.

That it's detected as a Linux ethernet gadget, or cdc_ether, means that at least the device *is* in USBNet mode, so you're doing something wrong on your end .
Old 07-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #3140
jation
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@jation: There's none, because we don't need one. Everything's in the python folder in the userstore, it's completely harmless/inert. (No experience with Duokan myself, and I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, so check in the appropriate thread ).
Thanks for answer. After some trouble with Duokan I decide that is not worth the effort. I install jailbreak and all hacks a I need again.
Have one more question: is dangerous for kindle to update with all these hack several times again and again.
And also notice that with kindle-ss-0.37.N.zip (that is only difference when I update hacks again) I am always in cover mode. I put random blank file in linkss folder (not cover) and always get cover for screensaver (i have some pictures in screensaver folder)
Advert
Old 07-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #3141
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@jation: you need to delete the cover trigger file to disable cover mode.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #3142
jation
Enthusiast

Yes. I delete blank cover file. Have only blank random file. Also restart Kindle, but still in cover mode.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #3143
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@jation: Make sure you don't have a stray current_book_cover.png left in your linkss/screensavers folder.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #3144
jation
Enthusiast

^ No, only pictures are in screensavers folder.
I delete blank random file from linkss folder and now I have pictures for screensaver. ( Maybe problem because I rename cover in random directly in kindle?).
I now try to put again blank random file in likss folder to get random pictures.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #3145
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@jation: Huh. There must have been a cover trigger file left, or you didn't restart the device.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-09-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #3146
NiLuJe
BLAM!

A set of highly recommended updates! Both because the massive performance improvements are nice in and of themselves, but more specifically because the cover processing stage now puts much, much less stress on the system.

* Python 0.5.N:
Updated binaries, updated Python patchset (fix potential segfault issues with the re module)

* ScreenSavers 0.38.N:
Made some tweaks to the dithering process. It's now more accurate, using the proper color palette of our eInk screens.
Tweaked the ImageMagick build to drastically reduce memory usage. This should prevent it putting too much stress on the system's virtual memory managment (which then means kswapd loops @ 100% 'till everyones happy, and that can take a while), thus being both faster & safer.

In particular, the cover mode should now be usable on the whole DX & DXG family without the framework getting its panties in a bunch .

----

And for the rest (USBNet 0.49, Fonts 5.9):
Updated binaries.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-14-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #3147
jation
Enthusiast

^ Do I need to unistall old hacks first or I can safely update: example ScreenSavers 0.38.N over the 0.37?
Thanks.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:39 PM   #3148
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@jation: Nope, no need to uninstall first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING UPDATES:
Here are general update instructions for these hacks:
  • No need to run the update_*_uninstall.bin updates, ever.
  • Then, you can apply the latest update_*_install.bin updates, one by one.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:02 AM   #3149
cm9900
cm9900 began at the beginning.

Device: k4
hi,NiLuJe.thanks for your font hack.
some people and i have a same problem with k4.
when i replace CJK.ttf with other chinese font,there is a line at the top of the screen which doesn't display.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-44259.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	108338  
cm9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #3150
cm9900
cm9900 began at the beginning.

Device: k4
this problem happens when the typeface is regular or sans serif.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-44261.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	108339  
cm9900 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet