Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #76
yoq
Developer
yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I noticed that too, it seems this is inherent in eink technology and can be optimized for either black-on-white or white-on-black. Here is a thread from some years ago, with the same problem: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11370
There, they optimize ghosting with a variable resistor for either mode.

Last edited by yoq; 05-11-2013 at 06:57 AM.
yoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #77
Mingyar
Connoisseur
Mingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Mini/Aura H2O/Aura One LE / Tea Inkpad 3
Good job.
The last version works well.
Thanks.
Mingyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #78
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Yes no problem with the version 5, you can use it guys !

Yoq, last time I said your were a god, I made a mistake : you are better !!!!!

NB : For users that want to reduce brightness, Yoq has posted a hardware solution here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...81#post2510681

Last edited by akorx; 05-11-2013 at 02:47 PM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #79
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Yoq,

Thanks. I never knew there was a contrast adjustment pot on e-ink displays. Silly of me, as I'm quite familiar with them on parallel character LCDs and the like from microcontroller projects. Never gave it a thought.

I was really just concerned I'd placed a "blanking" executable in the wrong location or something and it wasn't getting called, as I had the original code, then upgraded and moved it all into a folder of it's own.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #80
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
I've done a very little modification, setting the timeout to zero and adding the KevinShort's frontlight hack (I'm stuck to 2.4). I think you can add a setting for the timeout in kobotweaks.ini.
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 screenInv+frontlight.tar.bz2 (6.9 KB, 436 views)
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #81
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Was working on 2.5.1, but I upgraded to 2.5.2 and now it doesn't
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #82
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
Was working on 2.5.1, but I upgraded to 2.5.2 and now it doesn't
All you have to do is reinstall it. The night mode hack modifies a file which gets overwritten when you update, that's why it stopped working for you.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #83
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
All you have to do is reinstall it. The night mode hack modifies a file which gets overwritten when you update, that's why it stopped working for you.
Thanks! Should have tried that first! Working now.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:47 AM   #84
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Hi,

I've seen too that there is a 2.5.2 firmware but what are the differences with the 2.5.1 ?
Old 05-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #85
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Thanks for this, just what I was looking for. Works great on the Glo running version 2.5.2

As an aid to fellow users that may be a little daunted by the instructions I've written the following to hopefully help them out.

First open a text document in notepad and name it kobotweaks.ini and copy the following text into it and save it
Code:
[Global]
compatFirmware=2.5.2
scriptSocket=true
dumpLayout=false
24hourClock=true

[Tweaks]
hideShop=true
hideWishlist=true
showCustomCmds=true
directShelvesAccess=true
directLibraryAccess=true

[Reader]
showProgress=true
tweakFooter=true
showClock=true

[CustomCommands]
Toggle Night Mode=tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"/mnt/onboard/.kobo/nightmode.sh\")
Reboot=tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"busybox reboot\")
KPV=tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"/mnt/onboard/.kobo/kindlepdfviewer/kpdf.sh /mnt/onboard\")
Scribble=tweaks.scribble()
Launcher=tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"/mnt/onboard/.kobo/KoboLauncher/KoboLauncher.sh\")
Sleep=tweaks.sleep()
Reading Life=tweaks.readingLife()
Connect Kobo to USB

Copy the kobotweaks.ini file you've created to the .kobo folder

Copy koboroot.tgz to folder on Kobo called .kobo

Eject reader from USB and allow it to reboot and install

Check that KoboTweaks is working by going to the home page, select Libary/books/homepage and you should have a new submenu appear 'Tools'

Connect Kobo to USB

Now open screenInv/installer and and put koboroot.tgz from here into the .kobo folder.

Eject reader from USB and allow it to reboot and install

Check that KoboTweaks is working by going to the home page, select Libary/books/homepage and you should have a new submenu appear 'Tools'

Select 'Tools' and invert screen selection, or hold light button for two seconds to invert screen.

I know I'm late to the party, but hopefully the above will help anyone else thinking of using this fantastic feature.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:39 AM   #86
akorx
Addict

Well done feenix1363 ! I think this gonna help people who are lost between firmware update, night mode plugin and others tweaks ! You can had this tips : Yoq has add a nice function : stay press on light button during 2 sec invert color (night mode to day mode and vice versa).

Just a question : have you got the chapter progress in reading footer with the 2.5.2 ?

Last edited by akorx; 05-19-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #87
Thalinor
@Modders/Devs - Thank You
Thalinor is on a distinguished road

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro / Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by akorx View Post
Just a question : have you got the chapter progress in reading footer with the 2.5.2 ?
I am also looking to know if this has been fixed?

Secondly, and I could have totally read this incorrect, but is the hack still setting the page refresh to every 2ms, or can the software now recognize screen touches and refresh as it does with the stock software; every 1-6 page turns. I love this idea and its exactly what I am looking for on my Glo, but IMO not if it involves refreshing the eink 500 times a second to get it to look that way.

Thank you!
Thalinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #88
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Quote:
Well done feenix1363 ! I think this gonna help people who are lost between firmware update, night mode plugin and others tweaks !

No, but as it's not a feature I've ever used it didn't occur to me to mention. Thanks for asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalinor View Post

Secondly, and I could have totally read this incorrect, but is the hack still setting the page refresh to every 2ms, or can the software now recognize screen touches and refresh as it does with the stock software; every 1-6 page turns. I love this idea and its exactly what I am looking for on my Glo, but IMO not if it involves refreshing the eink 500 times a second to get it to look that way.

Thank you!
I woudn't know how to check the refresh rate to be honest, you'd have to ask the supplier of the hack, sorry.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #89
akorx
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalinor View Post

Secondly, and I could have totally read this incorrect, but is the hack still setting the page refresh to every 2ms, ...

Thank you!
I'm french and speak just a little bit english so it's possible that I've not got it all... but I had understood that in the first versions of this plugin, the pages were refreshed every 20ms but now it's not the case : the behavior of "invert mode" is totally equivalent to the "normal mode". Yoq or Kevinshort will certainly give you some explanation and details.

Last edited by akorx; 05-19-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #90
Thalinor
@Modders/Devs - Thank You
Thalinor is on a distinguished road

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro / Kobo Glo
Quote:
I'm french and speak just a little bit english so it's possible that I've not got it all... but I had understood that in the first versions of this plugin, the pages were refreshed every 20ms but now it's not the case : the behavior of "invert mode" is totally equivalent to the "normal mode". Yoq or Kevinshort will certainly give you some explanation and details.
Nice, thank you for the information!

BTW, your English is probably better than most native English speakers, at least those here in the states.

...it's also a hell of a lot better then my French, which is (unfortunately) deplorable at best. It's on my to-do list though; along with Russian. : )

Again, thanks for the info.
Thalinor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, hack, mini, night mode, touch