Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Galaxy Tab S2 - any thoughts?

Anyone have any thoughts on the Galaxy Tab S2? I may be in the market to replace my iPhone 4 shortly, and this looks like a possible contender.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on the Galaxy Tab S2? I may be in the market to replace my iPhone 4 shortly, and this looks like a possible contender.
I am confused are you talking about Galaxy s2 or the new 7.7" tab that's going to come out.
I have the galaxy s was thinking about upgrading to s2 but now have decided to wait for the nexus prime as that is going to come out with stock android icecream. Of course by then quad core phones would have been announced
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, I may have the name wrong? I'm talking about the S2 phone, not a tablet. Any thoughts on that?
Old 08-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I do mean the S2 - sorry for the confusion. Not so sure about it now - I've just read this on an Amazon review:

Quote:
If you use your phone as your primary music player (e.g. like an iPod) then this is NOT the phone for you - it (as far as I can determine) has no dedicated hardware to decode audio and so it uses a lot of CPU power to play music. The phone will get very hot in your pocket from the CPU heat and within 4 hours the battery will be completely dead.
I do use my iPhone 4 as my primary music player, and I'd want an Android phone to do the same. I can play music all day on my iPhone and that will drain the battery perhaps 10-15%. Is the S2 really as bad, in this respect, as described? That would be a show-stopper for me.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Gonna sell that iP4?
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I have the Galaxy S phone and its a great phone the Galxy S II phone is even better. A dual core 4.3" Super AMOLED Plus phone. Samsung has even integrated voice command to their core apps more than standard Android devices. It has 1GB RAM. If I did not already have my G S phone I would be picking this phone up. There are a lot of really good Android phones out there, but I think the G S II is the best in the market.

Quote:
I do mean the S2 - sorry for the confusion. Not so sure about it now - I've just read this on an Amazon review:
Quote:
If you use your phone as your primary music player (e.g. like an iPod) then this is NOT the phone for you - it (as far as I can determine) has no dedicated hardware to decode audio and so it uses a lot of CPU power to play music. The phone will get very hot in your pocket from the CPU heat and within 4 hours the battery will be completely dead.
I do use my iPhone 4 as my primary music player, and I'd want an Android phone to do the same. I can play music all day on my iPhone and that will drain the battery perhaps 10-15%. Is the S2 really as bad, in this respect, as described? That would be a show-stopper for me.
I don't think I would place too much weight on an Amamzon review. I'd have more trust on a reputable site.

I have the Galaxy S(I) and I must say that quote goes against my expereince as well as others what others have mentioned (many android users have commented on how they no longer carry their iPod because of the Android phone). Samsung bills their Galaxy S products as Multimedia devices, more so than any other Android phone. They also put heavy emphases on the screen quality. I don't use the music player much, I more stream music, but when I do want to conserver my battery life, I do listing to mustic stored on my phone.

I've yet to experience heating problems from usage. What does cause the device to drain the battery is heavy use of 3G data. See my post "My HOW-TO way to increase Android Battery"

Here is an expercrpt from another reviewer .
Quote:
With heavy, heavy use involving lots of 3G data, music playback, video streaming, browsing and photography, we managed to run down the battery in around 13 hours. (more...)

Last edited by =X=; 08-27-2011 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Added link
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thank you, X, that's very helpful.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I think I've decided that I'd be better off sticking with my iPhone. My primary uses for the device are playing music and browsing the web. I make heavy use of the iPhone in my car, while travelling, and my car has a built-in iPod interface, and I manage all my music with iTunes. I don't really want to lose that, so I think it would be counter-productive for me to switch from the iPhone to an Android device.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think I've decided that I'd be better off sticking with my iPhone. My primary uses for the device are playing music and browsing the web. I make heavy use of the iPhone in my car, while travelling, and my car has a built-in iPod interface, and I manage all my music with iTunes. I don't really want to lose that, so I think it would be counter-productive for me to switch from the iPhone to an Android device.
There's an old adage "We like what we know" I don't expect you to switch, since you seem to be rooted in the iDevices. But...

Have fun with it. I don't know if the UK has the same laws here in Californa(USA) but cell phone providers must give users 30 days before a contract becomes permanent. This gives the user 30 days to try a new device without any obligations.

Android should still fill all your needs there are products like "Doubletwist Sync" that wirelessly sync your iTune music to your Android phone (unless things have changed I don't think you can do this with the iPhone yet).

Web browsing will be better on Android since it is a dual core 4G, 4.3" inch Super AMOLED Plus screen. Browser support is excellent and you have flash.

The only issue will be your car that has a built in adapter for the iPhone. Chances are this is a high end radio and should have support for Bluetooth. The G SII has Bluetooth stack 3.0 and can not only route media to a bluetooth hub but also voice calls. My stereo is not high end so I use a FM transmitter that connects to my 3.5 headphone jack. While commuting I"m listing to music and answer my call this way.

=X=
Old 08-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post

Web browsing will be better on Android since it is a dual core 4G, 4.3" inch Super AMOLED Plus screen.
Better tech doesn't always equal a better experience.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:03 PM   #11
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
right there is one of the reason I don't do apple. Changing devices via android is so much more seamless. but the SGS II does support aac and aac+ which is what iTunes uses so you wouldn't lose any songs on your itunes that are downloaded in that format and as =X= pointed out anything that isn't aac the double twist app is fantastic, no worries.

If you like gadgets, I think you'll enjoy a high end android device more than idevices just MHO of course, but they are more fun to customize and have more freedom to shop at different places etc.

Last edited by boswd; 08-29-2011 at 11:07 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:05 PM   #12
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Better tech doesn't always equal a better experience.
4.3 inch screen is 10x better for web surfing than 3.5. web browsing on a larger screen versus an iPhone , im sorry there is no comparison.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:05 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
right there is one of the reason I don't do apple. Changing devices via android is so much more seamless. but the SGS II does support aac and aac+ which is what iTunes uses so you wouldn't lose any songs on your itunes that are downloaded in that format and as =X= pointed out anything that isn't aac the double twist app is fantastic, no worries.

If you like gadgets, I think you'll enjoy a high end android device more than idevices just MHO of course, but they are more fun to customize and have more freedom to shop at different places etc.
I agree that I'd enjoy the Android device. The thing I've come to realise that I'd really miss is the iPod interface in my car. That lets me, via the car stereo, browse by artists, albums, genres, etc. I use the iPod in my car on my 40 minute drive to and from work every day. I've decided that I don't really want to lose that. If it wasn't for that, I'd probably go with the S2.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:26 PM   #14
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
I have a Samsung Galaxy Fascinate. I bought it in September of last year, we were promised 2.2 by November, we finally got it in April. The Fascinate has GPS issues that were suppose to be fixed by Samsung. I have to turn mine own 15 minutes before I leave the house in hopes it get a GPS connection before I go. One time it didn't connection until I was already there lol.

Samsung is terrible about updating. I doubt I will ever go beyond 2.2 unless I do it myself. They rather put out new phones and forget the old ones. Verizon won't help me on GPS because they want me to pay them 10 dollars for their service.

Fascinate has an awesome screen. But my next Android will probably be HTC..

Last edited by Synergi; 09-08-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #15
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
I have a Samsung Galaxy Fascinate. I bought it in September of last year, we were promised 2.2 by November, we finally got it in April. The Fascinate has GPS issues that were suppose to be fixed by Samsung. I have to turn mine own 15 minutes before I leave the house in hopes it get a GPS connection before I go. One time it didn't connection until I was already there lol.

Samsung is terrible about updating. I doubt I will ever go beyond 2.2 unless I do it myself. They rather put out new phones and forget the old ones. Verizon won't help me on GPS because they want me to pay them 10 dollars for their service.

Fascinate has an awesome screen. But my next Android will probably be HTC..
There was a study done a few months back on what vendors/carriers provided the best ongoing support.

HTC/Motorola (the DROIDS) and Verizon provided the best supported devices. So far that is proven to be true even after the study.

I hear you I had a hard time with that GPS issues since Maps and Gas Buddy are my number one apps. I eventually had to update the ROM which fixed those problem and a lot more stability issues.

I also want to stay away from Samsung but their hardware is so good. The flip side is the community support is excellent for their hardware it makes it easy to forget Samsung doesn't support their products since work arounds are easily found.

=X=