Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
tinstaafl
tinstaafl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
EPub books from library and DRM

I get e-books from libraries that offer this option. Unfortunately, most of them are in EPub format, but until now Calibre has been able to convert them to Mobi which makes them readable on my Kindle2. The EPub book I just checked out did not convert. Calibre gave me a "Conversion Error." I assumed the book was DRM'd so I installed Alf's latest plugins and followed the installation directions.

For this application I believe the relevant plugin is "ineptepub_v0.1.6" which, during the configuration process says "does not need customization" (I did not configure the other plugins).

I had removed the offending book from from Calibre prior to installing the DRM plugins, then brought it back into Calibre after the installation. It still will not convert the book. The book is a 2011 copyright if that means it may have some kind of cutting edge DRM. Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be?

Thanks
tinstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
FWIW,
The place to post this question is on the Apprentice Alf blog or Dark Reverser New blog in the comments. If you read the README that comes with that plugin, it will tell you how to use the calibredb add YOURBOOK.epub command to generate debug/error messages and armed with that info, people there should be able to help.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
It's actually much more likely that the ePub file is faulty in some way (a lot of producers create surprisingly sloppy e-books that don't fit the official spec and need to be tweaked by hand before being Mobified) that makes the conversion process fail. If you can open the ePub for simple reading with Calibre, then that's the problem.

Aside from that and if it really is the DRM, please be aware that we can't help you with it on MR, as discussing the specifics is against the MR rules. You'll have to go ask for help at the site where you most likely downloaded the tools.

Hope this helps, and welcome to MobileRead!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #4
tinstaafl
tinstaafl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks guys. I'll move it to Apprentice Alf's blog
tinstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote