Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #16
RalphJ
RalphJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Also....I know it can be frustrating getting things for Christmas and then not being able to use them due to issues. However, I was pleasantly surprised to fnd that there were Kobo help technicians working on Christamas day. I realy didnt expect that.
RalphJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #17
TroyB
TroyB began at the beginning.

Whoa, didn't expect to see so many replies after being gone for a few days.

The bright side is that my Kobo is turning on again. I had it charged for almost an entire day earlier this week and it wouldn't turn on, so I just gave up, unplugged the adapter to make way for other things (heh) and left my Kobo sitting around doing nothing. I decided to randomly plug it in again today and it suddenly turned on.

The downside is that I still can't power off the device using the power button.

I'm also still stuck at the setup screen. It connects to WiFi, a "Check for Updates" notification pops up, and immediately after selecting "Check Now", bam, "Tablet Upgrade Error."

I've also tried the volume up + power button reset countless times, with the device both off and on.

And I've pressed the reset button on the back of the device (with the backing removed) a bunch of times, which successfully resets the Kobo, but just leads me back to the initial setup screen.

I've done just about everything, so I'm ready to give up.

Fortunately, I already do have a Kindle, so it's not like I've been spending the holidays without an e-reader. But it would still be nice to be able to play around with this thing... :P
TroyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:28 PM   #18
TroyB

I'll also point out that when I first booted the Kobo out of the box, I was able to download the automatic firmware update just fine.

My problems only started AFTER that update. So I'm pretty sure that my problems are firmware related. But I can't exactly reinstall the firmware as 49Kat did because I can't get to the app screen to use the "Update Firmware" app considering I'm still stuck at the initial setup.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:49 PM   #19
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I believe someone resolved a similar issue by connecting to a PC with the USB cable and doing a reformat as suggested by hpulley in another thread...
Quote:
Volume up plus power or to really start from fresh it seems you can hook it up to a PC via USB and reformat it. Unplug, turn back on and setnit up again.
Reformat won't kill it, will force a clean startup. Removes everything which is a bit heavier than the factory reset vol up plus power which will not remove everything.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:03 PM   #20
TroyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
I believe someone resolved a similar issue by connecting to a PC with the USB cable and doing a reformat as suggested by hpulley in another thread...
Quote:
Volume up plus power or to really start from fresh it seems you can hook it up to a PC via USB and reformat it. Unplug, turn back on and setnit up again.
Reformat won't kill it, will force a clean startup. Removes everything which is a bit heavier than the factory reset vol up plus power which will not remove everything.
This was one possibility I was considering, since I can see the files of the Kobo itself when it's plugged in via USB.

Hm. I'll try this out.

EDIT: Forgot to report back, but this didn't work for me either.

Last edited by TroyB; 01-08-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #21
keigee
keigee began at the beginning.

i dont know if this issue is appropriate on this thread but:
i just got a Vox and i cannot get past the installation. It will take me to the welcome page, connect to wifi smoothly, download the updates, restarts then TAKES ME BACK to the beginning with the wifi and the downloading of the updates...it's been 7 times now and it's still taking me back to the very start. I dont know how to fix this. i have reset it, did the factory reset, but it says UNABLE TO START DEVICE and asks me to power it off then on, then takes me back to the welcome page, and device update process AGAIN!
this is insanely frustrating!

hope someone could help me.
Thanks!
keigee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #22
landrew
landrew began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kindle Fire, Nook
I have had the same problems with not enough power to upgrade and then unable to turn on at all. Almost gave up but then tried my Galaxy charger and miraculously KOBO did charge fully. Was able to upgrade and download all my purchased books and some apps. However, battery now down to about 1/4, green, and although it's plugged in no lightening indicator to suggest it's charging. So I'm about to leave on a trip and WAS going to take KOBO, but now not so sure. Have turned all the way off and left plugged in. Will try with factory charger and my Galaxy charger. If STILL isn't fully charged this evening, and no indication that it's charging when I turn it back on, any suggestions? Thanks mucho.
landrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #23
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
If the galaxy charger has really charged it and you plug in the kobo charger, the battery status should update.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote