Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-22-2008, 04:45 AM   #1
ePossum
Enthusiast
ePossum began at the beginning.

Device: iliad v.2, Dana Alphasmart
3rd edition ???

It's expensive, and life will go on without it, but damn it, I want an iliad (e-ink, nice size, multiple formats, zoom on pdfs, annotations, developers doing interesting things ... yum, yum, yum)

My sensible boyfriend however has Strongly Suggested that I try and find out how long it is likely to be before v.3 will be released (serves me right for asking him whether he thought it would be self indulgent to buy an iliad)

Any informed guesses or wild speculations out there on ballpark timelines?

Gracias
ePossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:02 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Well, since iRex was part of the Felxidis development group, who is responsible for the 9,7" flexible screen, that PVI is trying to produce at the moment, i assume that iRex will introduce such a product in the second half of 2008.

But dont nail me on this one, its pure speculation, not based on any real information.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:53 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
But dont nail me on this one, its pure speculation, not based on any real information.
"According to well-informed sources from inside, iRex is about to launch... "

Let the rumor mill begin!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Well, since iRex was part of the Felxidis development group, who is responsible for the 9,7" flexible screen, that PVI is trying to produce at the moment
'9,7"' ? Is that 9 inch by 7 inch?

That would be awesome. A super-large iLiad tablet! I better start saving my pennies now...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It's 9.7" for our American friends
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
It's 9.7" for our American friends
Ah, thanks for clearing that up.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I waited months for v2 to come out before buying, and at that time there was very solid information that v2 was on the way. So unless iRex as learned its lesson about pre-announcing stuff, there won't be anything for at least 6 months.

I agree that the next obvious step is a larger screen, and the only question I have is whether iRex will continue with the existing screen size as well (perhaps with an upgrade to the new Vizplex E-Ink). However, all indications are that devices with the larger E-Ink screens won't be available until the second half of 2008.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:41 PM   #8
ePossum
Enthusiast
ePossum began at the beginning.

Device: iliad v.2, Dana Alphasmart
Thank you your comments - very helpful

Just checking I've got this straight - the general wisdom is that the next hardware upgrade will be one or both of:

- retain A5 size, upgrading to a vizplex display

- create an A4 device with a Flexidis display

Either way, the move is unlikely to occur in the first half of the year, but may occur in the later part of the year.

Sound right?
ePossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:24 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ePossum View Post
Thank you your comments - very helpful

Just checking I've got this straight - the general wisdom is that the next hardware upgrade will be one or both of:

- retain A5 size, upgrading to a vizplex display

- create an A4 device with a Flexidis display

Either way, the move is unlikely to occur in the first half of the year, but may occur in the later part of the year.

Sound right?
It is not clear that if they developed this product it would replace the current one therefore it might be a new product, not an upgrade.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:30 AM   #10
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
And i am not certain, that they will use the Vizplex display in the current iLiad, since the advantages are not that major over the current e-ink. (The iLiads black is much blacker than the CyBooks, although the screen of the CyBook is a tiny bit whiter) I assume they rather integrate the version that comes after vizplex. It would probably be too much hassle with their own controller for too little benefit.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
ig88
Gadget Guy
ig88 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad - iPhone - OSX
The other possibility is that Apple releases a tablet sized Mac.

Half MacBook Air and half iPod Touch.

Think about it:
•*More Mac-like than the iPhone, with large storage, strong processor, and large screen
•*the iPhone SDK is coming out end of February, essentially creating a new development platform, based on OSX (making it easy for developers to port existing apps)
• iPhone gestures as an interface - image turning a page by swiping your finger across it!
• Spotlight search
•*OS X already does handwriting recognition with the INK application
• Leopard sharing features
•*Easy sync through iTunes
• Apple's ability to leverage publisher's for content deals

Granted, it would not be eInk based, but it is amazing how readable PDFs are on the tiny iPhone screen, I can only imagine them on a tablet sized device! And a built in backlight makes night reading more convenient as well. I would trade eInk for the advantages of a Mac Tablet.
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ig88 View Post
The other possibility is that Apple releases a tablet sized Mac.

Half MacBook Air and half iPod Touch.

Think about it:
•*More Mac-like than the iPhone, with large storage, strong processor, and large screen
•*the iPhone SDK is coming out end of February, essentially creating a new development platform, based on OSX (making it easy for developers to port existing apps)
• iPhone gestures as an interface - image turning a page by swiping your finger across it!
• Spotlight search
•*OS X already does handwriting recognition with the INK application
• Leopard sharing features
•*Easy sync through iTunes
• Apple's ability to leverage publisher's for content deals

Granted, it would not be eInk based, but it is amazing how readable PDFs are on the tiny iPhone screen, I can only imagine them on a tablet sized device! And a built in backlight makes night reading more convenient as well. I would trade eInk for the advantages of a Mac Tablet.
I think you might be talking about a new model Newton or iNewton
The time might be right.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:43 AM   #13
haasiesoft
Enthusiast
haasiesoft began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
OT

Yes, a iNewton will be great

BTT

I think that irex have many problems by creating a unbreakable screen with writing possibilities. A "OnlyReaderDevice" will available by Amazone, Sony, .....

haasiesoft
haasiesoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:01 AM   #14
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Unfortunately for us Apple will release such a device after the majority of us have purchased the current line. I am putting off a new Macbook Pro/Mac Air because I know as soon as I purchase one a tablet will be announced the next day. It has happened to me to many times with apple. That being said if you want to take up a collection I will gladly buy one just so you can get your tablet
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:04 AM   #15
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Of course for those that cant wait on APPLE check this out!

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/modbook
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote