Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 04:22 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdurham View Post
But how do you 'pay' for something that is free? It's nonsense.
No, it's not. Many "free" items are only free in certain parts of the world. Amazon use the billing address of your credit card to verify that you are where you say you are. Unfortunately we live in a dishonest world where people have been known to lie about where they live.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:12 AM   #17
bluemoonjules
Connoisseur
bluemoonjules is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G
Yes, it IS discriminatory, but legally so. I cannot imagine what grounds you would be able to lodge a complaint on!
Old 08-07-2010, 05:20 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoonjules View Post
Yes, it IS discriminatory, but legally so. I cannot imagine what grounds you would be able to lodge a complaint on!
It's no more discriminatory than if, to use a silly example, I were to make a personal choice not to buy from companies whose name started in "A", and then complain that I couldn't buy from Amazon as a result. Not having a credit card is a personal lifestyle choice; Amazon aren't to "blame" for it.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:35 AM   #19
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
]Not having a credit card is a personal lifestyle choice; Amazon aren't to "blame" for it.
I do agree with this. Before I got my Sony, I downloaded their software to see how it worked, and to make sure I was going to buy books from them when I physically live outside the US yet have a US credit card. To me, a $200+ (at that time) device is something I wanted to make sure I would be able to use so a few minutes of research is not unwarranted.

Yes, Amazon requires a credit/debit card on file, but they will also take back your Kindle no questions asked, and you can buy something else. You aren't being forced to keep it.

If I were you, and Amazon didn't want my business, I would send that Kindle back express mail and think no more about it.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #20
jeffyen
Connoisseur
jeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally617 View Post
I just bought my kindle amd I am still thrilled about it. However, I just found out that credit card registration or gift card is reguired to download FREE kindle books.
Interesting, you may want to read the following post where Mike Cane talks about how he didn't need to enter a cc number to get the freebie. I'm not sure of how similar your situation is though...

http://ipadtest.wordpress.com/2010/0...ose/#more-3417
Old 08-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #21
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyen View Post
Interesting, you may want to read the following post where Mike Cane talks about how he didn't need to enter a cc number to get the freebie. I'm not sure of how similar your situation is though...

http://ipadtest.wordpress.com/2010/0...ose/#more-3417
That's exactly what I meant, I didn't have any credit card / gift card attached to my account when I first started to get the free Kindle ebooks, and had no trouble downloading.

From my experience, only Barnes & Noble requires you to submit CC info to get free books. I get free books from the Sony bookstore / Kobo / Smashwords without any CC attached to my accounts there either.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #22
bluemoonjules
Connoisseur
bluemoonjules is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's no more discriminatory than if, to use a silly example, I were to make a personal choice not to buy from companies whose name started in "A", and then complain that I couldn't buy from Amazon as a result. Not having a credit card is a personal lifestyle choice; Amazon aren't to "blame" for it.
I was being pedantic and/or facetious - as you say, many things are discriminatory, in that they choose one thing over another! The decision to accept credit cards discriminates against those who do not have credit cards, but Amazon are perfectly entitled so to do.

Where it is wrong is when that discrimination is legally unfair. Sometimes it is just life!

Last edited by bluemoonjules; 08-07-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #23
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R View Post
Restaurants also used to have signs saying 'We do not serve blacks'. Did the fact that they had a public policy make it right? The amazon policy is indeed discriminatory against folks that do not have credit cards, which by its nature discriminates against folks on the poor side of the tracks.
folks can't control their color. they can control their bank status.

this sounds a lot like the twinkie case to me
Old 08-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #24
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally617 View Post
I just bought my kindle amd I am still thrilled about it. However, I just found out that credit card registration or gift card is reguired to download FREE kindle books. Currently I do not have one and I do not plan to get one either. The only option left to me to to buy gift cards to download those 'FREE' kindle books.
If you must have a card to establish an account with Amazon, then use a debit card. It operates the same as a credit card, with all the same consumer protections offered credit card holders through VISA or Mastercard. No need to use credit at all. You can apply at your bank. I assume you have a bank because you bought a Kindle.

That would work well and you would never need to establish or use credit.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #25
Kevin R
Banned
Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: FluxCapacitor
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
folks can't control their color. they can control their bank status.

this sounds a lot like the twinkie case to me
Tell that to the huge number of people in the world born into poverty. I wont even comment on the naive mention of the mythical case law.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #26
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Tell that to the huge number of people in the world born into poverty. I wont even comment on the naive mention of the mythical case law.
American Banking Law now allows anyone to get a debit card. If someone is in such dire financial straights that they are suffering severe money issues, they shouldn't even be thinking about owning a Kindle.

here's the NON mythical twinkie defense reference. and yes, while in that sense it refers to a murder defense, now-a-days it is often used to point out complete and total bullshit use of the legal system. such as the proposed *whine* here
Old 08-07-2010, 02:23 PM   #27
Kevin R
Banned
Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: FluxCapacitor
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
American Banking Law now allows anyone to get a debit card. If someone is in such dire financial straights that they are suffering severe money issues, they shouldn't even be thinking about owning a Kindle.

here's the NON mythical twinkie defense reference. and yes, while in that sense it refers to a murder defense, now-a-days it is often used to point out complete and total bullshit use of the legal system. such as the proposed *whine* here
Please take your right wing politics somewhere else, this is about civil discussion. Also, please note that wikipedia is not noticed by any court as authoritative for the purposes of citing case law.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #28
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
CORRECTION to what I posted eafrlier - An Amazon "gift cert" by itself is NOT good enough to open an "account" with Amazon. You still need a valid credit card number on file.

If I had no credit cards, I'd just go to my local grocery store and purchase one of the pre-paid VISA cards. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND LIMITATIONS AND WHAT CHARGES MAY OCCUR while using such a card. SOme charge you fees for XXX days of inactivity.

But that would be a relatively painless way to get on to Amazon.com.

SOURCE: I just had Amazon call me.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #29
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Please take your right wing politics somewhere else, this is about civil discussion. Also, please note that wikipedia is not noticed by any court as authoritative for the purposes of citing case law.
you can be civil or you can be an idiot. the "twinkie defense" is used in everything from college psych classes, to government, to pre-law. it has established its place in bullshit law. I'll type slowly now so you can get it. I loathe wiki. however, it is a good starting place to find more out about an issue.

if you still don't get it, we'll try colors, fonts and sizes next
Old 08-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #30
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... wikipedia is not noticed by any court as authoritative for the purposes of citing case law ...

When my wife completed her degree a few years ago, Cal State Fullerton did not allow ANY "Internet citations" in her thesis ...
Closed Thread

Tags
complaint