Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
Matt Palen
eReader Central
Matt Palen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matt Palen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matt Palen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matt Palen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: all
An eReader Basics movie I created

Hey.
Just wanted to share this short movie I created about eReader basics and get your feedback on it.
Here it is:

For some reason I don't think the embedding works for me on the forum (maybe because I don't have enough posts yet) so here is the URL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpA4JOCAWG4

Please let me know what you think (even if I won't like it).
Matt.

Last edited by pilotbob; 07-01-2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Fixed YouTube link
Matt Palen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Palen View Post
Hey.
Just wanted to share this short movie I created about eReader basics and get your feedback on it.
Here it is:

For some reason I don't think the embedding works for me on the forum (maybe because I don't have enough posts yet) so here is the URL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpA4JOCAWG4

Please let me know what you think (even if I won't like it).
Matt.
Fixed it for ya! For youtube all you need to do is surround the part after the equal sign (=) with the youtube tags. In this case, just the "NpA4JOCAWG4" with tags on either side.

I'll get back to you after I watch it.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Very slick but I have a few suggestions.

The term "eReader" refers to a proprietary file format and not a device (see ereader.com and fictionwise.com). Some folks around here are very picky on the difference being made clear. I think using the term "ebook reader" might be a better way to go.

It would be nice if you had been able to cycle through images of the various ebook readers currently on the market and not hang on the DX for so long.

Also there were many e-ink ebook readers available long before the Kindle hit the scene (Sony, Cybook, iRex...).

And as far as I know, the Kindle is the only device available to the U.S. market only. The Sony started out in Japan, migrated to the U.S. and started spreading to Europe and Canada last year.

Good start!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When I read the topic, I did think it was about eReader format eBooks because of the announcement by eReader.com.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
The video and your website is VERY HEAVILY slanted toward Kindles. It's obvious you get commision off of Kindle sales. The bias is pretty transparent to anyone that has been a member of MobileReads for any length of time and studied the pros and cons of the various devices.

But its your website and video and if that's how you make money, more power to you. I would never recommend your video or your website to anyone who was an ebook neophyte looking for the reader to match their needs. You've decided a Kindle is the best choice no matter what their needs are, and forfeited any semblance of objectivity.

In fact, I took the "FIND YOUR eREADER" quiz on your website to help me "find the best reader for me", and both times I took it, I specifically selected answers that should have returned the Sony device as my perfect device, and both times it resulted in a Kindle. Pretty blatant favoritism, but again, your website and you can do that if you wish.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
Matt Palen
eReader Central
Matt Palen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matt Palen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matt Palen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matt Palen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hey, thanks for all for of the feedback.
Regarding the video and our site - yes, we do get commissions and we state so in our site disclaimer, but we get commission from Sony, BeBook and other companies as well so we try to be as unbiased as we can.
This is why I post my videos here for feedback so we can improve and get better.

Regarding the "find the best ebook reader" quiz - a few days ago I got an email stating the exact opposite- that we are biased towards Sony, so I guess it's just that are algorithm isn't that great and we will try to fix this.

Anyway I appreciate your feedback for the good and the bad as we are trying to learn and more versed in the eBook reader world.

I knew I would get some harsh responses when I posted this video here - so it's OK you can bust my balls
Matt.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can the topic be fixed. It's misleading due to the incorrect use of the term eReader.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
Matt Palen
eReader Central

I can't change the topic subject for all I know but perhaps the forum moderator can.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
ladyjane
I hate to clean
ladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, Acer NetBook
Living in Canada I found your video of no use..your leaning to hard to the Kindle..it's to confussing... kindle. this kindle that..theres sony out there.*.done*...here in Canada we don't have to many choices..
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I enjoyed watching your video, Matt, but I'm afraid that I do have to agree with some of the previous comments made that you make it sound as though the Kindle is the "be all and end all" of eBook readers . I was personally reading eBooks for 20+ years before the Kindle appeared. Also, on a world-wide forum like this, where the Kindle is not available to the majority of our members, it is of limited interest to harp on about a device that most people cannot buy .

Still, as I said, I enjoyed it, and it would be informative to a novice. Perhaps a little more discussion of devices which are available world-wide may have been advisable.

Don't worry about the topic title. These days, like it or not, "eReader" has become synonymous with "eBook reader".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:04 AM   #11
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Palen View Post
I knew I would get some harsh responses when I posted this video here - so it's OK you can bust my balls
Matt.
I shouldn't have left you with no encouragement.

It was professionally done with very well prepared voice-overs. If you level the slant to include all the devices you get commission on, it might receive even more positive feedback.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #12
Matt Palen
eReader Central

Point taken, from all of you.
Thanks.