NYT : Basics -A Walk Through a Crop of Electronic Readers

Thought this might be interesting to many here :

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/te...sics.html?_r=1

Last edited by narbeauchamp; 02-26-2009 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Fixing Link
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Registration required.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Registration required.
Opens ok for me - is it because I'm not in the US?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
That's strange-it should open just fine (I think I was logged into my NYT account,although I believe its totally free now).

Go to the technology section from the main web page (www.nytimes.com) and you should see the link to the article.

Ok,I reposted the link in the original opening post-it should work.

Last edited by narbeauchamp; 02-26-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Opens fine in Canada.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I'm in U.S. and I can read the article fine.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
I just read through the article,and I'm reminded of a conversation I had with a friend last night,who hates his Kindle.Well-he likes it but he hates all the additional subscription charges-in fact he said he preferred to just go to his computer or look from his blackberry at times.

I am hopeful that I will get to see a Kindle 2 on the subway or a plane sometime-and take a look.I did get to play with a kinlde 1 in starbucks last month,and compared to my 700 I prefered the Kindle screen-but aesthetically it was not pleasing-plus the guy with the kindle kept complaining that he kept losing his place with accidental page turns.

For me personally,I like my 700bc (and adored my 505 which met an untimely death,apparently by elbow).I don't see myself doing any reading on a smart phone or PDA these days..been there done that-my eyes prefer larger devices (and my optician is probably missing my less frequent need for adjustments *S* )
Old 02-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by narbeauchamp View Post
I just read through the article,and I'm reminded of a conversation I had with a friend last night,who hates his Kindle.Well-he likes it but he hates all the additional subscription charges-in fact he said he preferred to just go to his computer or look from his blackberry at times.
He can use claibre instead to pull down pretty much the same news from the web sites. But, it wouldn't not automatically be sent to the Kindle... until Kovid adds that feature of course.

But, it would be free.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #9
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
It opened fine in Oregon too!
Pretty good article. He commented that the 5-way joystick was stiff and hard to maneuver but mine isn't that way and is really easy to move around. I like it!
She also has not realized that with Sprint wireless cell coverage and Google applications, you can download G-mail account for email, get map directions, read the latest news for free, and more! The new K2 has 3G capabilities is like the smart phones but no wireless fees! What's not to love?

Last edited by MsAstoria; 02-26-2009 at 10:49 AM.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:47 AM   #10
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
He can use calibre instead to pull down pretty much the same news from the web sites. But, it wouldn't not automatically be sent to the Kindle... until Kovid adds that feature of course.

But, it would be free.

BOb
Or go to his favorite news site on his regular computer, jot down the url for mobile feeds and put those on his Kindle bookmarks. May take a little time to do that, but you only have to do it once, then just click on that bookmark on his Kindle and it downloads the latest feed.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:49 AM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
What's so great about the smell of books anyway?

I read the article. OK, why do they let these people review readers, when they are already prejudiced against anything ebook because it doesn't smell musty and dry like old pbooks? Frankly, that old dust smell has always been a turnoff for me. I swear that every article like this that I have read has been "a week trying to find things I don't like about ebooks" article. Just once, it would be nice to read an article where the reviewer is completely unbiased before spending the week testing the ebook reading experience.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm still blocked.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #13
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I wish she would have mentioned other E-ink reading devices. It seems like she didn't put forth much research/effort to write the article.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #14
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I read the article. OK, why do they let these people who are already prejudiced against anything ebook because it doesn't smell musty and dry like old pbooks? Frankly, that old dust smell has always been a turnoff for me. I swear that every article like this that I have read has been "a week trying to find things I don't like about ebooks" article. Just once, it would be nice to read an article where the reviewer is completely unbiased before spending the week testing the ebook reading experience.
Dr. Drib might disagree about the smell, unless he has changed his signature lately. Do you think the author took a look at The Famous eBook Reader Matrix at MR?
WDE.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 02-26-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
I wish she would have mentioned other E-ink reading devices. It seems like she didn't put forth much research/effort to write the article.
Sadly, I think the lack of research is the norm in the news industry.