Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-19-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Readius slashdotted

Slashdot has picked it up now: Rollable E Ink Displays Get Real.

One dude's reply:
Want a Readius?
No thanks -- I'll roll my own.
Why, you must be from Holland.
Sure, aren't you?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

What I love about those stories in Slashdot is seeing how soon some geek pipes up about e-ink being bad because they love the feel/smell/taste of paper... That and the nay-sayers telling us "why it will fail"...
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
That and the nay-sayers telling us "why it will fail"...
No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
What I love about those stories in Slashdot is seeing how soon some geek pipes up about e-ink being bad because they love the feel/smell/taste of paper... That and the nay-sayers telling us "why it will fail"...
Yeah, slashdot seems to be an outpost for Luddites. In every slashdot story about electronic books at least one person says "yeah, but you can't use it in the tub" or "i'll miss the smell of paper".

I have paper books I use specifically for the beach or when I know I'll be leaving it unattended. I've been working on a Clive Cussler paper book for about a year now a chapter at a time. When I'm done I'll give it to the local library. You don't have to use use the electronic reader for every application.

There's a post on there now about how "Sony's eReader failed" and several about how the screen on the Readius is too small and needs to be larger than the Illiad screen to be usable. I'd happily trade my Sony device for the Readius with the smaller screen. I've read hundreds of books on my palm/pocket pc devices-- the portability was more important than screen size and I didn't miss extra words a bit (of course this is for fiction, not tech manuals). I can only read a few lines at once.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:26 AM   #5
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
Yeah. No-one ever mentions the second hand book you order that has been sitting in a smoker's office.

Or the 20 year old dusty paperback.

Or the mouldy book.

Or the one with coackroach guts squashed in the middle.

Or the smelly old damp ones.

If they love all those smells, their olfactory organs are from different planets, I reckon.

Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert