Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
Mr. Blue Tape
Mr. Blue Tape began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Academic PDFs and Diagrams

Hi,

I'm a graduate student and I read a lot of pdf papers. I've yet to see a really good review of the pdf support in the Kindle 3. Can anybody comment on how well it displays mathematical forumla's (i.e. from LateX?). The other thing I read a lot in pdf format is articles on chess. Will small diagrams of chessboards look fine?

Two examples of the types of things I want to look at:
http://www.danicamckellar.com/math/percolation.pdf
http://www.chesscafe.com/text/dvoretsky99.pdf
Mr. Blue Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
cleanskin
cleanskin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Hey Mr. Blue Tape,

I downloaded your example files onto my Kindle DX and took some photos to show you how they appear. I had to take the photos without flash with a wide aperture, so some areas of the photo are a bit soft from a narrow depth of focus. But everything on the screen is very clean and sharp. I zoomed in 200% on the column of text of the chess PDF in the second photo. The pen is beside the Kindle to show scale. The types of PDFs you would like to use appear fine on the screen. But I highly recommend you consider the DX model over the Kindle 3 as I can't imagine reading many of these documents on a smaller screen than this without a lot of zooming and panning.

Click on the thumbnails to get a larger view (use the zoom button the following page to see them as 1200x800 photos):

Last edited by cleanskin; 08-26-2010 at 08:42 PM.
cleanskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
In my experience, formulas from PDFs created from word (with equation editor) and with Latex display correctly. HAven't had a problem yet. Though of course it's bound to happen at some point.
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
Mr. Blue Tape
Mr. Blue Tape began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
wow. Thanks for the pictures. They look surprisingly good. I'm thinking about the DX version, but I'd have to convince the wife because of the difference in price point.
Mr. Blue Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:52 AM   #5
cleanskin
cleanskin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Hey no problem! Glad I could help. Let me know if you have any other questions about the device or would like to see any more pics of displayed items. I hear you on the price of the device. I'm still deliberating on whether I should keep it before the return window closes. For your type of usage though (reading black and white PDFs of text, such as journal articles), the device is rather useful.

Last edited by cleanskin; 08-27-2010 at 05:00 AM.
cleanskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert