Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #91
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
If the crisis is big enough to threaten an otherwise-stable group or society, the story can't be optimistic.?
oh, nonsense. Lots of SF deals with big crises and yet has an optimistic ending! Lois Bujold deals with major crises facing societies, and doesn't in the least inspire me to slit my wrists by the end. You can have an optimistic book without it being fluff and unicorns farting rainbows.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #92
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
oh, nonsense. Lots of SF deals with big crises and yet has an optimistic ending! Lois Bujold deals with major crises facing societies, and doesn't in the least inspire me to slit my wrists by the end. You can have an optimistic book without it being fluff and unicorns farting rainbows.
Then what's this whole discussion been about, really? Seriously?

If the ending basically determines a book's overall pessimistic or optimistic nature, I'd be willing to bet the actual number pessimistic SF books is quite small. I know I'm hard-pressed to come up with any that start out bleak and end just as bleakly. I'm sure they're out there, but I can't imagine there being very many.

Or are people saying "pessimistic" when they mean something else?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #93
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Then what's this whole discussion been about, really? Seriously?

If the ending basically determines a book's overall pessimistic or optimistic nature, I'd be willing to bet the actual number pessimistic SF books is quite small. I know I'm hard-pressed to come up with any that start out bleak and end just as bleakly. I'm sure they're out there, but I can't imagine there being very many.

Or are people saying "pessimistic" when they mean something else?
Seriously. The epilogue of The Hunger Games
Spoiler:
(which I LOVE) is pretty hopeful, but the series itself is pretty grim.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #94
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Refering to the thread topic: I dont think so. Most pessimistic scifi probably has it right. (yeah many "pessimistic" scifi stories end on a high note but really nothing ever ultimately ends happy, right??)

Think about it. Any story set in earths far future is usually pesimistic. There is a reason for that.

Its because our future is most certainly going to be dreadful.

Again think about it:
War
Overpopulation
Long term climate change (ice ages)
Water supply issues
Natural Disaster (vulcanic, weather, external forces outside of earth)

and than ultimately the death of the sun and earth.(which is very far in the future)

ALL of these things will come to pass. So of COURSE scifi will reflect it. The future really isnt that rosy for the earth. No matter how much us humans like to sugar coat things, sweep it under the rug, close our ears....its all going to happen one way or the other. Its a question of when not if.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #95
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
For that matter, why just "Today's" sci-fi? I don't remember The Time Machine being a happy book. (Scarred me for life as a child!)
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #96
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
If the crisis is big enough to threaten an otherwise-stable group or society, the story can't be optimistic.
It can if the crisis is averted before serious damage is done.

Quote:
In science a PhD shows that your peers consider you capable of doing independent research.

What novel scientific ideas did you introduce in your books?
A method of exciting the particles in a region of space, at the quantum level, in order to induce instantaneous tunneling from one point in space to another, without passing through normal space, thereby moving the particles from point to point faster than light, and maintaining position relative to each other via quantum entanglement; said concept based on articles published in various issues of Scientific American. (Verdant Skies)

Photovoltaic panels backed by a nano-antenna that absorbed infra-red radiation, making the solar cells significantly more efficient and longer-lasting; said concept based on research documented by Idaho National Laboratory, along with partners at Microcontinuum Inc. and Patrick Pinhero of the University of Missouri. (Chasing the Light)

Applying a combination of self-hypnosis, bio-feedback analysis and realtime computer imagery to enable a human subject to gain control of autonomous physiological systems that are normally independent of conscious control, such as control of heartrate, glandular systems and memory control/manipulation. (Evoguía)

Of course, there's more to SF than just the science...

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 03-26-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #97
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I didn't read this whole thread but if I am remembering right, much of the hard sci-fi I have read is pretty good and usually paints the smart scientists as the heros. Off the top of my head David Brin's Earth, Gregory Benford's Artifact, Ben Bova's Grand Tour stuff, etc.

If Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy didn't get us the inspiration to colonize Mars, I don't know what will
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #98
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Refering to the thread topic: I dont think so. Most pessimistic scifi probably has it right. (yeah many "pessimistic" scifi stories end on a high note but really nothing ever ultimately ends happy, right??)

Think about it. Any story set in earths far future is usually pesimistic. There is a reason for that.

Its because our future is most certainly going to be dreadful.

Again think about it:
War
Overpopulation
Long term climate change (ice ages)
Water supply issues
Natural Disaster (vulcanic, weather, external forces outside of earth)

and than ultimately the death of the sun and earth.(which is very far in the future)

ALL of these things will come to pass. So of COURSE scifi will reflect it. The future really isnt that rosy for the earth. No matter how much us humans like to sugar coat things, sweep it under the rug, close our ears....its all going to happen one way or the other. Its a question of when not if.
Well aren't you a glass half full kind guy.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #99
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
There was an episode of Babylon 5 called "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars" that shows the future history of mankind from the 23rd century right through to the distant future, so distant that Sol is about to go nova. The remaining human on Earth is in actuality an evolved human who leaves to join his kind beyond the rim of the explored space, to a new earth.

Humanity's future is full of highs and lows, but eventually, untold years into the future, humans have evolved to become far more.

Stories like that give me hope for the future.

I read for enjoyment, not to be made miserable by a depressing book.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #100
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Stories like that give me hope for the future.

I read for enjoyment, not to be made miserable by a depressing book.
Have you run out of material that works for you? I realize there's no way to keep that from sounding smart-assed so I won't try, but I think the question is valid: why concern yourself with stuff you don't like to read if you still have plenty of stuff that you do?
Old 03-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #101
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i just finished Jupiter by Ben Bova and i'm currently reading Verdant Pioneers by MR alum Steven Lyle Jordan.

these are along the lines of what i'm looking for. in Jupiter's case, the sense of wonder and exploration. in Verdant's case, hope and normal people in the face of disaster. yes theres a bad situation on earth but nobody is devolving into savagery,they aren't cracking each other's heads open or boiling babies because food is getting harder to find.

i think there's a balance but sometimes i think it's simply easier to be negative than look for any silver lining.

and +1 to sabredog, babylon 5 was my favorite sci-fi show of all time. it's one of the few shows my dad and i shared and the continuing storyline was awesome. i cried like a baby during the last episode lol.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #102
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Have you run out of material that works for you? I realize there's no way to keep that from sounding smart-assed so I won't try, but I think the question is valid: why concern yourself with stuff you don't like to read if you still have plenty of stuff that you do?
That's a great question. I think that part of it is the hype. When a hot new book comes out, everyone wants to be a part of that conversation...and most of the books lately are rather dark and dismal.

In my particular group...dark and gritty rules the day (and this is fantasy, not SciFi). So if I want to join in the conversation I have to have read GRRM. And I hate GRRM...so I get left out of the conversation.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #103
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
That's a great question. I think that part of it is the hype. When a hot new book comes out, everyone wants to be a part of that conversation...and most of the books lately are rather dark and dismal.

In my particular group...dark and gritty rules the day (and this is fantasy, not SciFi). So if I want to join in the conversation I have to have read GRRM. And I hate GRRM...so I get left out of the conversation.
That's fair, I guess. I tend to forget about group reads since I so seldom take part myself.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #104
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
No, plenty of good books out there for all of us to read.

Valid question btw.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #105
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
It seems to me that the people on this thread who are looking for optimistic books aren't actually making it to the end of the gritty books to look for the silver lining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
It can if the crisis is averted before serious damage is done.
The crisis is averted towards the end of the book. Until then the characters live in desperation.

Quote:
A method of exciting the particles in a region of space, at the quantum level, in order to induce instantaneous tunneling from one point in space to another, without passing through normal space, thereby moving the particles from point to point faster than light, and maintaining position relative to each other via quantum entanglement; said concept based on articles published in various issues of Scientific American. (Verdant Skies)
So what is the method?

Quote:
Photovoltaic panels backed by a nano-antenna that absorbed infra-red radiation, making the solar cells significantly more efficient and longer-lasting; said concept based on research documented by Idaho National Laboratory, along with partners at Microcontinuum Inc. and Patrick Pinhero of the University of Missouri. (Chasing the Light)
Nano-antenna that absorbs infra-red radiation is what all plants are using.

Quote:
Applying a combination of self-hypnosis, bio-feedback analysis and realtime computer imagery to enable a human subject to gain control of autonomous physiological systems that are normally independent of conscious control, such as control of heartrate, glandular systems and memory control/manipulation. (Evoguía)
I don't really see the advantage of doing this. Autonomous systems give a more efficient use of the brain. Why would anyone want to put conscious effort into keeping their heart rate up?

Quote:
Of course, there's more to SF than just the science...
I know there is, and I like to see the way in which the technology that the characters take for granted affects the social structure of their society.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote