Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Not all books syncing

I have side loaded some books that I bought from places other than Amazon to my iphone using DiskAid. Put them in the 'library\ebook' folder. Books from B&N and Kobo will sync, but books from Smashwords do not sync. The sync icon is grayed out.

Any ideas why?

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Companies normally do not deal with books that are not from their own company. For example, Amazon's Kindle app will not sync sideloaded books, only books from Amazon (even on the real Kindles).
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Companies normally do not deal with books that are not from their own company. For example, Amazon's Kindle app will not sync sideloaded books, only books from Amazon (even on the real Kindles).
The Kindle App does sync some books that are sideloaded. The ones from B&N and Kobo sync. The ones from Smashwords do not.

Carol
Old 03-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
sadievan
Wizard

OK. Figured it out. So for anyone else that needs the info. Had to reconvert the books in Calibre. I thought I remembered reading that Calibre now fixed the metadata to allow for syncing.

It worked on the books from B&N and Kobo because those were downloaded in .epub and then converted to .mobi. The Smashwords books were downloaded in .mobi, so I didn't convert them. After I converted the book from .mobi to .mobi, it worked.

I'm happy again.

Carol
Old 03-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You forgot to mention that you were using the work-around to get other books to sync, not the normal methods.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #6
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You forgot to mention that you were using the work-around to get other books to sync, not the normal methods.
Yes, sorry bout that. Using calibre to convert.

Carol
Old 03-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #7
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
[QUOTE Companies normally do not deal with books that are not from their own company. For example, Amazon's Kindle app will not sync sideloaded books, only books from Amazon (even on the real Kindles)

This is right!
Syncing sideloaded books works for me for the Kindle app for PC and Blackberry and the K3, I use calibre to convert (even if it is already in mobi format you have to reconvert to create the kpnx file) and make sure that not only the same book but the calibre created kpnx file is also present on each device...
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizedale
Syncing sideloaded books works for me for the Kindle app for PC and Blackberry and the K3, I use calibre to convert (even if it is already in mobi format you have to reconvert to create the kpnx file) and make sure that not only the same book but the calibre created kpnx file is also present on each device...
I'm glad it's working for you and all, but.... the ability to sync non-Amazon content has nothing to do with the .kpnx file.

It only matters that Calibre is adding/modifying the two necessary Metadata records -- which is why the mobi->mobi conversion is required.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #9
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm glad it's working for you and all, but.... the ability to sync non-Amazon content has nothing to do with the .kpnx file.

It only matters that Calibre is adding/modifying the two necessary Metadata records -- which is why the mobi->mobi conversion is required.
mmm, odd, it did not work for me until I transferred the .kpnx to my blackberry..
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizedale View Post
mmm, odd, it did not work for me until I transferred the .kpnx to my blackberry..
Where is the .kpnx file?, it's not on the books folder.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote