Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 07-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Long time no see

Hi all!

Haven't been in here for quite a while, probably because I haven't had any problems with my iRiver. It's one of the first models, but it still does what I want which is display epub-style ebooks for me to read.

How is it with everybody else? Still chasing rainbows?
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Still happy with my Story HD.

Well, on a whim I did order a Bookeen FrontLight HD. However for various issues I returned it. If the Kobo Aura HD had page turn buttons, I would have gone for that. But no...

So - still happy with the Story HD. Until something else comes along that'll make me give it away on Ebale ...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
Still a very happy Story HD user.

Back in May I even took advantage of a half-off sale that iRiver USA had for Memorial Day on their nice leather case for the Story HD. Bought two, one for the wife's. Couldn't be happier.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:08 AM   #4
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
I bought a Kobo mini last month. I like that it is small and fits into my lunch bag, but my Story HD is still my favorite ereader.
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
yo, bought a Kindle Paperwhite. iriver story going to my daughter

there's a vast difference here, folks, hands down. I'm talking deep blacks for the fonts, instead of gray. even with minimum lighting.

it was good enough, but more than terrible reading at low light conditions, what made it for me was the fact that Calibre couldn't properly convert A Game of Thrones 4-book collection bought on Amanzon to ePub. text went missing here and there, weird. it was either reading on a 4.3" smartphone screen or reading it as it deserves... I feel much better now...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
what made it for me was the fact that Calibre couldn't properly convert A Game of Thrones 4-book collection bought on Amanzon to ePub. text went missing here and there, weird.
In that case I hope no text goes missing for you when you have to convert ePUB to Kindle.

I have the Game of Thrones 4in1 from Amazon myself, had no problem splitting it up in single epub books. I actually find it hard to read in the Kindle app on the smartphone - if you ever "scroll by accident" it's hard to find the original position. Although this is also due to the nonsense chapter names of those books.

I admit I never read the whole thing. Not sure when I'll pick it up again. Currently in the middle of Wheel of Time which is just as monstrous.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
How well does the Paperwhite handle PDF and DjVu?
Does it have an SD card slot?
And I hate hate hate touchscreens. I'll keep using my Story HD.
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I have no use for PDFs. If I need to read in fixed format with no font resizing, eink screen certainly is not the right tool.

Loving the touchscreen. yes, you may accidentally forward pages if the screen is not locked, but it's a minor issue given what it provides. It also nicely couples along with a much faster refresh rate for the screen. let's not forget my original iriver Story has a pre-Pearl screen...

why a card slot? it's got wifi. Let's be honest here, folks: in 2GB there fits more ebooks than you'll probably ever read in your lifetime. Omnibuses of Shakespear, Plato, Dickens, Toltoy, Milton you name it. We're not talking here about HD audio/video streams in the house of GBs, but mere text fitting in about 200KB or less -- it's laughably less than 1MB! If you're a truly gluton reader, you may simply just delete old books you probably won't ever touch again and replace them with newer ones. In any case, it's still more than a few books weighting in your backpack during vacation...

regarding the Calibre conversion, I noticed early on in the very first chapters garbled text and sentences that made no sense, so I read on Kindle app on the smartphone and indeed things went bad somehow... perhaps I should update Calibre and try again...

though it's too late

it was roughly 2x what I paid for the old Story last year in Brazil. quite an amazing feat by Amazon. glad they came...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:10 AM   #9
Jarulf
Connoisseur
Jarulf began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story hd, Nexus 4, Nexus 7
I haven been using my Story HD happily since I got it, I even got a new one when I dropped my first one and it fell face down.

I got a Nexus 7 in December and, while it's a great device it's too heavy for reading on for any extended period of time for me. I also kept turning pages inadvertently. I do prefer e-ink as well
Then I got a Nexus 4 a couple of days ago, never intending to use it for reading. But on a whim I tried (we just got Google Books here in Sweden) and I loved it. It's light-weight and I can hold it in one hand at just the right distance for it to be comfortable. I have problems with my arms and hands so I'm sort of picky about that

My main irritation at the moment is Google Books (which doesn't work on the Swedish version of the iriver HD) which doesn't sort by Lastname, First name which is how my entire Calibre library is set up. Searching is all very well, but sometimes I want to browse and then I vastly prefer that order. I hope I am missing a setting somewhere, but doubt it.

Will I give up the iriver for the N4? Not sure yet, we'll see after my period of new-gadget-infatuation is over

Last edited by Jarulf; 08-10-2013 at 04:13 AM.
Jarulf is offline   Reply With Quote