Notices

Old 05-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
SanAntone
Connoisseur
SanAntone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and Scribe
Sun Fading

Didn't see this posted before...

My Kindle fades in the sun...even after about one minute. Very strange...you have to turn a page and then it is partially faded. Turn another one and it significantly fades. Doesn't matter how hot it is. Move it immediately into the shade and turn a page and it's fine.

Wonder why it does this?

By the way, I'm getting a new one. No one beats Amazon for customer service.
SanAntone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntone View Post

My Kindle fades in the sun...even after about one minute. Very strange...you have to turn a page and then it is partially faded. Turn another one and it significantly fades. Doesn't matter how hot it is. Move it immediately into the shade and turn a page and it's fine.

Wonder why it does this?

Do you have a K1 or K2? I've seen this complaint often on the Amazon Kindle forums about the K2, but not on the K1.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
My Sony does this (they aren't supposed to, some do though). I prefer shade anyway, but if I'm out in the sun I just angle it so my headshadow covers it. It doesn't bother me that much, but if you can return it, do so
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

Wonder why it does this?

It is a known issue with some Kindle 2s.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Yes, this is a well-known issue; you should have seen it if you searched for it.

Amazon will usually send replacements over this. However, it may take you four or more Kindles to get one that doesn't fade in the sunlight. You might ask if it's possible to have your replacement be a new one rather than a refurb if you have to exchange it again.

Why it happens with some and not others is unknown to me. It seems most probably a UV problem, which would suggest some screens should have some UV protection coating and some screens not. But that's just a guess.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
However, it may take you four or more Kindles to get one that doesn't fade in the sunlight.
Why do you think it might take four or more Kindles to get one that doesn't fade? I bought 2 Kindle 2s and neither of them have fading issues.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Why do you think it might take four or more Kindles to get one that doesn't fade? I bought 2 Kindle 2s and neither of them have fading issues.
Because some people have gone through that many Kindles. The sun fade problem is very common, but it doesn't happen with every Kindle.

One *possible* explanation is that when people return a Kindle for sun fade issues, Amazon doesn't fix it; if they tested for this in the first place they would not ship out with this defect. So the returns people are getting it, can't find anything wrong with it, and putting it in the refurb stock. If then another person has a sun fade issue and asks for a replacement Kindle, if they send you one from the refurb stock, your chances are much higher of getting one with the sun fade issue again. But this is complete speculation on my part.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #8
SanAntone
Connoisseur
SanAntone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and Scribe
It's a Kindle 2.

That is interesting speculation on why some do it and some don't. I guess it has to be some sort of a UV issue. Definitely not a heat issue. Been trying to figure out why this would occur with e-ink.

Amazon is overnighting a replacement for me. I'll check it out on Wed.

Thanks for the feedback.
SanAntone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:19 AM   #9
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Well, I went through EIGHT before I got one that actually didn't fade in the sun, so consider yourself very lucky (or me very unlucky).

It is a QC issue: It's apparently cheaper to simply send out replacements for those who notice the problem screens, than take the time to run a UV light over every unit.

El
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoglick View Post
Well, I went through EIGHT before I got one that actually didn't fade in the sun, so consider yourself very lucky (or me very unlucky).

It is a QC issue: It's apparently cheaper to simply send out replacements for those who notice the problem screens, than take the time to run a UV light over every unit.

El
Srsly?!
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:43 PM   #11
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
wow !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoglick View Post

El
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #12
Busirane
Busirane began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Question Is "sun fading" static or dynamic?

Quote:
I'm trying to understand the behavior that's generally described as "sun fading". I think the use of "fading" in the progressive tense makes me uncertain whether it's a dynamic or a static behavior.

The first sentence quoted above mentions time, which initially caused me to envision an image that was acceptable in lesser light but, when brought into the sun, slowly faded. The second sentence mentions turning pages, which implies that one statically displayed page doesn't fade over time, but that successive pages are incrementally more faded. The last sentence reinforces the idea that it's not a static behavior by implying that a sun-faded image, when brought into the shade, does not un-fade over time, but successive pages are incrementally less faded.

So, am I right in guessing that "sun fading" refers to successive pages becoming more and more faded, and not to a single page slowly fading away?

My K2 doesn't seem to exhibit such fading, either static or dynamic. If it's suspected that turning pages in bright sunlight is the cause, I'm curious whether turning pages "in the dark" (e.g., while hugging the screen to your body, or with the Kindle turned around so the back faces the sun) could avoid it. Does anybody with a sun-fading Kindle care to test and report?

If it really is the heat and not the light, that's harder to work around.
Busirane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #13
sirbruce
Provocateur

It refers to any page turn causing a page that is faded. It does not "fade over time" without turning the page nor does it get worse with successive page turns, though some page turns will result in less readable text than others. Yes, turning the pages in the dark or in shadow avoids it. It's a direct sunlight problem (which highly suggests a UV issue).
Old 05-29-2009, 01:32 AM   #14
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphapheemail View Post
Srsly?!
I have the tracking numbers to prove it. (Both directions)

El
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #15
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I just returned from vacation and my K2 has the sun fading issue. I spent most of yesterday at Busch Gardens and only found the sun fading problem when the sun was shining directly on the screen. Since I tend to stick to the shade this didn't start until later in the afternoon when the sun angle was lower. The page itself didn't fade, fading only happened when I turned the page. A quick Alt-G returned the screen to full contrast. If my head partially blocked the Kindle during a page turn only the part of the screen directly in the sun was faded. Hitting Alt-G fixed the contrast problem.

Haven't decided whether to return it since I rarely read in direct sunlight and Alt-G fixes the problem for that page.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote