Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #46
Faterson
pokrıvač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
You seem to be cherry-picking a subset of data there, jocampo.

Again: I was talking about the overall trend among tablets. Not about a single model, not about a single manufacturer.

I'm talking about iOS-based tablets versus Android-based tablets. Total dominance of iOS-based tablets only a couple of years ago. Today, there are already more Android-based than iOS-based tablets sold. By overpricing iPad mini Retina (as well as the two outdated models), Apple has now apparently reinforced this shift towards Android as the primary platform for tablets. Not today, but likely in (possibly near) future.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #47
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post

Again: I was talking about the overall trend among tablets. Not about a single model, not about a single manufacturer.

I'm talking about iOS-based tablets versus Android-based tablets. Total dominance of iOS-based tablets only a couple of years ago. Today, there are already more Android-based than iOS-based tablets sold. By overpricing iPad mini Retina (as well as the two outdated models), Apple has now apparently reinforced this shift towards Android as the primary platform for tablets. Not today, but likely in (possibly near) future.
I know exactly what you were talking about and that's why replied my post that way. Because again, Android is a fragmented Os. You are referring to tons of companies and manufacturers which are different and separate entities each.

And I do not think an iPad mini is over priced but you can revise my post in a few months and tell me if they did not sell well or what. But like I said on my previous post, 10 million minis sold tells you that it is the right price for a lot of people. Not for you, maybe, but it does for 10 million people out there.

It's just absurd seeing people comparing any Chinese tablet outhere shipped with Android and in a gazillion sizes and shapes, vs one only company and two specific type. It does not make sense at all.

By the way, you were mentioning the Nexus 7? well... I gave you the numbers. 4.8 sold vs 10 million.

Last edited by jocampo; 10-22-2013 at 08:10 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #48
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:

Sure, Apple's market share is smaller but it's not like their sales are going down. It's just the market that's getting bigger (no doubt at the expense of PC's and laptops). Android tablets may have greater market share but in terms of profit, how much are the manufacturers making from those tablets? I'm guessing the biggest tablet sellers are in the $200 or less category. I reckon Apple makes around $120 minimum for each iPad and that's just for the lower end models. For the iPad 2 and higher, I'm guessing at least $200 profit.

While Apple might not sell as many devices as other manufacturers, I reckon they're probably still making a lot more money. The question is if Apple can keep itself relevant in the luxury category. If they can do that then they'll be fine.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #49
Faterson
pokrıvač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
By the way, you were mentioning the Nexus 7? well... I gave you the numbers. 4.8 sold vs 10 million.
Totally irrelevant numbers, because I wasn't comparing previous generation models. My prediction is that the new Nexus 7 will beat the iPad mini Retina in sales because charging almost double the price compared to one's competitor is hardly sustainable. The future will tell whose prediction was correct. We can meet again in this thread in a year from today to reassess the situation.

Here is what I believe will happen... Android will steamroll over iOS among tablets, just as it already has among smartphones. There's a good article on that:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/08/01/an...e-languishes/#

Here's a particularly relevant passage; it talks about smartphones, but I believe that after today, it will also be increasingly relevant for tablets:

Quote:
Android has captured the global smartphone market for the foreseeable future, and Apple has frittered away a massive lead in technology and user experience by keeping its nose in the air and refusing to do what it takes to satisfy more than a small slice of the market.

Which ultimately harms consumers, who don’t get a chance to experience iOS and Apple products at a price level they can afford, and harms Apple, which is still making money but, absent a miracle of the scope of iPhone’s original introduction, is quickly subsiding into yesterday’s story.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #50
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Totally irrelevant numbers, because I wasn't comparing previous generation
How that can be irrelevant?

The iPad mini was announced just today. How are we going to provide or compare sales numbers if it's not even available for sale yet.

I am giving you sales numbers of the previous Nexus 7 model and the previous iPad mini numbers, that looks very relevant to me. And it shows that in terms of small tablets (7 to 8 inches in size) and Apple vs Asus Nexus, Apple sold more.

What will happen next? I do agree with you, time will tell... but I guess that Thanks Giving will be a good "barometer" for that. We will see if people start to avoid Apple products altogether or if the long line of people waiting outside of Best Buy to get an iPad means something to you and others ...

Time will tell ...
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #51
Faterson
pokrıvač škridiel

Quote:
How that can be irrelevant?
Because I was never talking about the past, but only about the future. You can't reliably predict the future based on the past, because the situation has dramatically changed today.

Before today, iPad mini was simply overpriced, but Apple got away with it. Starting from today, iPad mini is extremely overpriced, and my prediction is that Apple will no longer get away with it, just like they seem to have misjudged the iPhone 5C pricing. That's what changed today.

In the previous generation, Nexus 7 cost $199, and iPad mini was $329. Now the difference is $229 versus $399. The price gap has dramatically widened (why, exactly?), so that you can now almost buy two Nexus 7 tablets at the price of one iPad mini. If you believe that's sustainable for Apple, good for you. You're an optimistic guy.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #52
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
I am giving you sales numbers of the previous Nexus 7 model and the previous iPad mini numbers, that looks very relevant to me. And it shows that in terms of small tablets (7 to 8 inches in size) and Apple vs Asus Nexus, Apple sold more.
Irrelevant. People who want a 7-8" tablet and iOS only have 1 choice; people who want a 7-8" tablet and Android have multiple choices, so it's a no brainer that it's harder for a single Android tablet to beat a single iOS tablet, when one has dozens of competitors and the other has none.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #53
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
iPad mini retina for me! Although I would like to get my hands on an iPad Air just to see how it feels at 1 lb vs. 0.75 of the retina mini.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #54
Faterson
pokrıvač škridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Irrelevant. People who want a 7-8" tablet and iOS only have 1 choice; people who want a 7-8" tablet and Android have multiple choices, so it's a no brainer that it's harder for a single Android tablet to beat a single iOS tablet, when one has dozens of competitors and the other has none.
Yeah... and I'm going out on a limb here, predicting Nexus 7 on its own will beat the sales numbers of an iPad mini Retina priced at $399. Then in addition to Nexus 7, there will be all the other Android-based 7- or 8-inch tablets. Combined, this will create a dominance for Android in the "small tablets" space.

The only bright spot for Apple is iPad Air. I truly believe it's the best tablet of all, no contest.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #55
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
What are those choices? Because the only decent Android tablet at that size that I know is the Nexus. Everything else is poor quality, cheap made and from unknown companies, except the Nook HD, now that finally B&N granted full Market access, but we already know that is marked to death anyway. So let's be honest here, the Android choices are many but not at the same level or quality, and let's not mention customer support, if any.

It's funny how I see people bashing Apple products at every launch but people keep buying them, regardless of their prices.

Last edited by jocampo; 10-22-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #56
Carmelreader
Groupie
Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, kindle HDX 8.9, ipad pro, ipad mini 2, Voyage, Oasis 2
It's funny how I see people bashing Apple products at every launch but people keep buying them, regardless of their prices.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. And I can't wait to get the new mini. I have both an iPad 3 and the current mini and have been waiting for today. Both the air and mini 2 look wonderful! I personally find the android tablets awkward in design and functionality. That is only for me and my opinion. I think it is great there are so many choices for people who have different opinions and like the androids. Variety is great.
Carmelreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #57
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Value for money? You call running scaled up phone apps "value"? The reason the iPad mini can sell at it's price is that it's an iPad...running the 345,000 "made for tablet" apps.

I thought the iPad Mini Retina would be my choice next time around. But a 1lb iPad? I'll have to go to the Apple Store and check it out first.

Unlike my phones, though, I have no incentive to upgrade my iPad every two years. So far my iPad 3 does everything I ask it to do. I like my wife's iPad mini even better for reading fiction. Very nice size and weight. Lack of retina screen not an issue for me.

In time I'm sure some apps will come out that require the 64bit A7 abilities and I may be enticed to upgrade.

Oh...and the only reason I feel the need to upgrade my 4S is that my contract is up and it costs me the same whether I upgrade or not. So I upgrade and let Sprint pay $450 of the cost of a new iPhone. The difference of which is almost entirely paid for by what I get when I sell my 4S. Other than that, I'd keep what I have.

My 5s is due to arrive tomorrow (crosses fingers!) Look forward to not having to type in a password every time I open the phone.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:48 PM   #58
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
That Retina mini is exactly what I've been waiting for. Fingers crossed for Xmas! I wonder if an original iPad will fetch anything at all on ebay... doubt it.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:53 PM   #59
Faterson
pokrıvač škridiel

Eh, this is the thread where I wanted to post this:

Speaking of "head to head" comparisons, here is one for iPad mini Retina versus new Nexus 7, proclaiming Nexus 7 to be the overall winner:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/table...t-small-tablet
Old 10-22-2013, 11:54 PM   #60
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
The reason the iPad mini can sell at it's price is that it's an iPad...

Spoiler:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote